Proposal: Tor-Ana Nylander for Montour swap

Fair Trade? Nylander for Montour. Top 6 center for top 4 RHD

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He played center when Bozak was injured last year if I recall.

*Matthews

lol.

the best part of this thread is that hfboards actually thinks leafs fans are the delusional ones.

The guy with the soccer avatar thought it was fair though, so everything checks out.

Ahhh that’s where we disagree. You haven’t seen much of Nylander. The reason why leaf fans don’t want to trade em as much as we don’t want to trade Montour is because of the versatility.

Montour can be used in PK to PP and score goals as a top 4 RHD. Nylander can easily transition to center from left wing and be a scoring threat. Trust me I didn’t post this proposal without doing my homework;)

Nylander is also a Swede that Murray loves to death.

Your homework didn’t reveal to you that he’s never played LW?

He’s as much of a centre as Rakell is. He can and has played in the middle but he’s far better on the wing.

His AHL career he was a C, his first 22 NHL games were at C, he plays at C as an injury fill in. We have strong Centre depth, on almost every other team he’s a C and he wants to be a C too. As someone who actually watches all his games, he’s better as a C than on the wing, and any GM smart enough to fork up the real cost to aquire him (Montour doesn’t even get the conversation started) they are getting themselves a Centre.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
*Matthews

The guy with the soccer avatar thought it was fair though, so everything checks out.

Your homework didn’t reveal to you that he’s never played LW?

His AHL career he was a C, his first 22 NHL games were at C, he plays at C as an injury fill in. We have strong Centre depth, on almost every other team he’s a C and he wants to be a C too. As someone who actually watches all his games, he’s better as a C than on the wing, and any GM smart enough to fork up the real cost to aquire him (Montour doesn’t even get the conversation started) they are getting themselves a Centre.
22 games at center.. welp im sold

Reactions: Starat327

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I said the trade isnt fair BUT a top 4RHD for an actual top 6 C IS fair. Nylander is not an NHL top 6 C though he is a winger. So a top 4 RHD is worth MORE then a top 6 W thats just facts.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I said the trade isnt fair BUT a top 4RHD for an actual top 6 C IS fair. Nylander is not an NHL top 6 C though he is a winger. So a top 4 RHD is worth MORE then a top 6 W thats just facts.
Agreed they can toss in that ahl'er kapanen to even it out

Reactions: mikeyp24

Cotton

May 13, 2013
22 games at center.. welp im sold

*His first 22 NHL games, it’s been more than that.

But i’m not trying to sell you, I have zero interest in getting ripped off by Anaheim by taking scraps for Nylander.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
*His first 22 NHL games, it’s been more than that.

But i’m not trying to sell you, I have zero interest in getting ripped off by Anaheim by taking scraps for Nylander.
Fortunetly our scraps arnt available...montours bout to break out. It would be silly to move him

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Why don't we trade all our players for RIGHT HANDED D-MEN! This has become way out of hand

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Now Montour is a scrap.

In a trade for Nylander? yeah. He’s the Kapanen in a deal for Manson.

Speaking of which, if we aren’t talking a deal around Nylander/Manson there isn’t really anything worthwhile to discuss.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In a trade for Nylander? yeah. He’s the Kapanen in a deal for Manson.

Speaking of which, if we aren’t talking a deal around Nylander/Manson there isn’t really anything worthwhile to discuss.

Nah it's a massive exaggeration because Nylander and Manson have comparable value and nothing about Kapanen makes him anywhere close to Montour in any context.

Even if you're speaking in terms of putting together a package for an actual elite player like Karlsson, a talented young top 4 RHD like Montour isn't a "scrap". That's just poor use of the terminology.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He's played center his entire career before the NHL including AHL and SHL so he's got the experience there. He did some spot duty there last year and did pretty well, some great games some bad ones. More subjectively, his playstyle suits the centre ice well as he's a great at being creative with his zone entries and benefits from the extra space the middle of the ice allows. With Tavares signing 7 years though, I don't think he'll ever get the opportunity in Toronto.

The NHL is littered with guys who played C prior to moving the the NHL and are now full time wings.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
lol.

the best part of this thread is that hfboards actually thinks leafs fans are the delusional ones.

I am not sure what is up with teh influx of troll threads but it's been bad the last week. Make an outlandish proposal, and then the OP goes "Stop being biased" and it's pretty clear to see their agenda.

I mean, this is a 21 year old with back to back 60 point seasons for a 24 year old D with a 30 point season on a stacked D core that can shelter him. He's a 2nd pairing D. It's a fact the Leafs are a worse team after this deal. The bottom to pairings are fine it's the spot on top pair RD that is the issue.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
I mean even if Nylander is a winger that's unproven at center there is a comparable trade there.

Drouin for Sergachev. And imo Nylander > Drouin and Sergachev > Montour.

If you want Nylander a better fringe prospect than Serge has to be coming back at least.

Reactions: biotk

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
After this season, I believe whatever gap exists between Willy and Monty will evaporate. From the Ducks side, I'd be thrilled to add Nylander, but I don't think we have the luxury of moving another quality young RHD for a forward that we don't definitely need. The drop off is pretty steep after Manson and Montour on the right side, even in the pipeline. We're lefty-heavy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nah it's a massive exaggeration because Nylander and Manson have comparable value and nothing about Kapanen makes him anywhere close to Montour in any context.

This is where you are misleading yourself.

Kapanen at age 21 is comfortably ahead of Montour's value at age 21, in all of skill set, draft position, and performance. the fact that Montour had a decent rookie year at age 23 does not put him in a different class of asset than Kapanen.

Similarly, Manson at 26 being a similar calibre a player as Nylander at age 21, does not put Manson in the same tier of value as Nylander.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am not sure what is up with teh influx of troll threads but it's been bad the last week. Make an outlandish proposal, and then the OP goes "Stop being biased" and it's pretty clear to see their agenda.

I mean, this is a 21 year old with back to back 60 point seasons for a 24 year old D with a 30 point season on a stacked D core that can shelter him. He's a 2nd pairing D. It's a fact the Leafs are a worse team after this deal. The bottom to pairings are fine it's the spot on top pair RD that is the issue.

He's not even a clear cut 2nd pairing D, tbh.

He had a nice 23yr old rookie season as a borderline top-4 dman, just like the year before Connor Brown had a nice 23yr old rookie season as a borderline top-6 forward.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
@IhateEveryone Completely disagree If anything his weakness is his softness/drive to the net and situational avoiding of hits/situations that guarantee hits.

His IQ is sky high.

Commenting low IQ on a rookie centre in the Ahl who had amazing numbers is just ignorant.
Commenting low IQ on a 1b winger in the NHL 2x 60 point seasons under his belt is just flat out dumb. You think a washing machine on skates can put up 60 twice in 2 years?

Nylander strength besides acceleration/ elusiveness and quickrelease/passing vision
is his hockey IQ lol. You ever watch him freeze the goalies on the power play just to feed it cross ice to matthews for the pp goal? Why wouldn't he just pass it right away then? BECAUSE he has hockey IQ and understands that the goalie/defence respects his shot and gets memorized by it then at the last second possible sends it over There is so many small details about his game that shows extremely high hockey iq i can go on for.

Marner is ridiculous in this category like years beyond where he should be.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is where you are misleading yourself.

Kapanen at age 21 is comfortably ahead of Montour's value at age 21, in all of skill set, draft position, and performance. the fact that Montour had a decent rookie year at age 23 does not put him in a different class of asset than Kapanen.

Similarly, Manson at 26 being a similar calibre a player as Nylander at age 21, does not put Manson in the same tier of value as Nylander.

We are discussing their value as trade assets today. Nylander and Manson would be on a similar level and Montour is a much more highly coveted piece than Kapanen in any context.

Comparing two players at the same age is not how you determine their value around the league today. Montour and Manson are both very poor choices to play that game with because their development paths are extremely atypical.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

Do you own a giant corkboard with photos and strings connecting the various photos together, because that's how lucid this line of thought is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad