Fair Trade? Nylander for Montour. Top 6 center for top 4 RHD

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Does Nylander even move the needle up front for y'all? I think he'd be more of a bandaid and I think teams are usually better off focusing on their strengths.
I doubt Nylander would fit well. That said this proposal is at least worth considering compared to the usual Kapanen+ bs.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I doubt Nylander would fit well. That said this proposal is at least worth considering compared to the usual Kapanen+ bs.

Well I appreciate the feedback either way. Fact of the matter, it’s worth discussing. And we even had mods come in saying it’s fair value and worth for a healthy discussion. I say lay down the swords, let us help you and vice versa. We need a center in Nylander as much as they need Montour in a Right Handed Defenseman.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Well I appreciate the feedback either way. Fact of the matter, it’s worth discussing. And we even had mods come in saying it’s fair value and worth for a healthy discussion. I say lay down the swords, let us help you and vice versa. We need a center in Nylander as much as they need Montour in a Right Handed Defenseman.
?? I'm a Ducks fan like you man.

Also not convinced Nylander will ever be a center in the NHL.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
This trade is not close IMO and of course I'm Biased.

Nylander was drafted as a centre and has played centre his whole life besides when matthews got drafted and they clicked. Nylander I'm to lazy to look the stats up, turned up as a rookie centre in the AHL and SHL and more importantly when played in the NHL small sample size. Why would the leafs play him at centre when we have three 30 goal scorers and he clicks with our best player?

I like Anh's defence corp but you would have to add to this deal because we are not trading a 2x 60 point player who's 22 for nothing but an overpayment.

To one of the comments above, don't think nylander is playing under any teams top 6 let alone playing centre for your team on the bottom 6 are you ok? he would be your instant best winger and is a 1w on any team and he's only 22. Im pretty sure he would be in your top scoring for last year(to lazy to look up).

The cons are he's definitely soft, avoids certain situations if a hit is coming(he can avoid most with his skating) and i guess the most recent playoffs.

He would be an incredible pick up for any team that needs speed and creativity but he is not available unless it gives us a 2/3 defender proven IMO

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

Nylander was drafted as a centre and has played centre his whole life besides when matthews got drafted and they clicked. Nylander I'm to lazy to look the stats up, turned up as a rookie centre in the AHL and SHL and more importantly when played in the NHL small sample size. Why would the leafs play him at centre when we have three 30 goal scorers and he clicks with our best player?

I like Anh's defence corp but you would have to add to this deal because we are not trading a 2x 60 point player who's 22 for nothing but an overpayment.

To one of the comments above, don't think nylander is playing under any teams top 6 let alone playing centre for your team on the bottom 6 are you ok? he would be your instant best winger and is a 1w on any team and he's only 22. Im pretty sure he would be in your top scoring for last year(to lazy to look up).

The cons are he's definitely soft, avoids certain situations if a hit is coming(he can avoid most with his skating) and i guess the most recent playoffs.

He would be an incredible pick up for any team that needs speed and creativity but he is not available unless it gives us a 2/3 defender proven IMO

How drunk are you? He's a winger at the NHL level, through and through.

Reactions: IhateEveryone

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Does Nylander even move the needle up front for y'all? I think he'd be more of a bandaid and I think teams are usually better off focusing on their strengths.
We're pretty good on RW. Kase, Perry, Eaves, Silfverberg, Terry, and Roy all play there.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Definitely. We have no solidified bottom 6 center. I know you quoted someone else, but Nylander would give our bottom 6? scoring and points. We also give Toronto a bonafide shut down RHD versatile Defenseman who absolutely kills it on the power play. Look at Montours numbers. His numbers speak for em self.

This is a decent swap.

If you're playing Nylander in the bottom 6 you're wasting him tbh

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Don't want the adds. Lindholm or Manson, or nothing. Don't want Montour + filler. Quality for quality if it's happening. IF it doesn't happen, I am content to see what our top 9 can do. Probably score a lot of goals.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Toronto really isn't that desperate. If I had to pick between swapping Nylander for Montour or any other comparable defenseman, or picking up a defenseman who puts up half as many points but can exit the zone with confidence, it's a no brainer. Nylander is a big part of what makes Toronto unique.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
@WTFMAN99 Nylander isn't going anywhere IMO. I would only do Nylander for a proven 2/3...

Wont get a true #1 for him obviously.
IMO i don't think a #4 will be worth it in the long run versus his potential.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
@WTFMAN99 Nylander isn't going anywhere IMO. I would only do Nylander for a proven 2/3...

Pretty much, there are a lot of good #4 defenseman coming available next summer (potentially) that could help us and we keep Nylander.

There is always a defenseman that shakes free during the year as well. Leafs can afford to part with picks and prospects now if we get into a bidding war.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
If you're playing Nylander in the bottom 6 you're wasting him tbh

He would battle with Henrique for top 6 center. He could easily handle our second line duties while Henrique handles third line. Kesler is on LTIR. Kids versatile that’s why I even offered Montour to begin with.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think its Fair Montour will be top pairing IMO . Good hockey trades are hard to make and Leaf fans are obsessed with their players , and nothing is fair valuewise they either win the trade by a land slide or they won't do it. But i'm biased i guess , I'm a hardcore leaf fan but a big Montour supporter , I was high on him when 9/10 people were sleeping on him i wanted him before he played in the NHL i made a few proposals to get him to the leafs he's one of the players that are gonna just keep improving hes a stud and i can see why ducks fan won't want to trade him He will be a number 2 D man , in the next 2 years & lastly , Montour fills the biggest hole the leafs have , Wingers we have tons RHD with top pairing potential all our money is on Lilegren if he doesn't pan out we have nothing
I’d do this but instead build the package around Kapanen, 1st for Montour

Kap won't do it they will want a proven piece back K.K can be just as good as Nylander one day but they don't want a can be , and hes the reason i'd make the trade . K.K can fill his hole and we would have 0 cap problems if we got rid of nylander

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

But Kapanen and a few thro
The Leafs have zero motivation to trade Nylander at the moment for anything less that a considerable overpayment.

And this is below fair value

And teams have zero interest trading a top 4 RHD for kapanen. You’ve seen the responses from the numerous threads of your fan base. You have to eventually give or take to make your team better.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He would battle with Henrique for top 6 center. He could easily handle our second line duties while Henrique handles third line. Kesler is on LTIR. Kids versatile that’s why I even offered Montour to begin with.

That would be a good setup. I think he'd mesh well with Silfverberg.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
But Kapanen and a few thro

And teams have zero interest trading a top 4 RHD for kapanen. You’ve seen the responses from the numerous threads of your fan base. You have to eventually give or take to make your team better.

Teams have recently traded top 4 D men for a collection of picks.

The notion that the Leafs HAVE to trade Nylander for a D man doesn’t hold up to scrutiny.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think its Fair Montour will be top pairing IMO . Good hockey trades are hard to make and Leaf fans are obsessed with their players , and nothing is fair valuewise they either win the trade by a land slide or they won't do it

If you have a 60pt 22 year old winger/centre you don't move him for anything but a clear win.

Kap won't do it they will want a proven piece back K.K can be just as good as Nylander one day but they don't want a can be , and hes the reason i'd make the trade . K.K can fill his hole and we would have 0 cap problems if we got rid of nylander

I honestly don't see a world where Kap becomes a Nylander level player. He's blazing fast, better defensively, but the hands, shot, and brains are all a step below. If there's a player Leafs fans definitely overrate, it's Kapanen.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Kapanen is underrated and will explode but yes as of now i agree he is not the main piece other teams want when looking at our team which is why we will wait and see what he becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad