Proposal: Tor-Ana Nylander for Montour swap

Fair Trade? Nylander for Montour. Top 6 center for top 4 RHD

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Teams have recently traded top 4 D men for a collection of picks.

The notion that the Leafs HAVE to trade Nylander for a D man doesn’t hold up to scrutiny.

Outside of McD I can’t think of any. Even McD got players coming back. Please tell me the last top 4 Defenseman going for futures strictly. No players coming back. Expiring contracts and cap dumps don’t count also

I’ll wait.....

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Toronto wants Montour. But. They don't send back Nylander = ANA doesn't make the deal. They only send back Kapanen+ = ANA doesn't do the deal. Case closed?

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
If you have a 60pt 22 year old winger/centre you don't move him for anything but a clear win.

I honestly don't see a world where Kap becomes a Nylander level player. He's blazing fast, better defensively, but the hands, shot, and brains are all a step below. If there's a player Leafs fans definitely overrate, it's Kapanen.
Nylander dosn't have good hockey IQ , Stop it Hailey . I've watched him play almost every Marlies game live , and watched every leafs game hes played Nylander's strong point is not is hockey IQ so please don't sell him on that His brains. The only thing Legit nylander is better at K.K is , Shot & accuracy that is it . You know who also has the same level shot and acuracy as nylander Carl grunstom problem solved. did you watch nylander play center when matthews was hurt , he wasn't that good he can't carry a line you throw him out there with a top tier center HE LOOKS AMAZING you got someone feeding him the puck WOW he can bury it . Matthews Nylander is literately the Mcdavid effect on Draisaitl . Both are good when playing with elite center but on their own their own they drop a tier . Everyone has their own option i feel strongly about mine as do you feel about yours . that's what this sites about hearing other peoples options right. Ill end on this Nylander will never be an elite center in the NHL ever . An elite winger 100%

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Nylander dosn't have good hockey IQ , Stop it Hailey . I've watched him play almost every Marlies game live , and watched every leafs game hes played Nylander's strong point is not is hockey IQ so please don't sell him on that His brains. The only thing Legit nylander is better at K.K is , Shot & accuracy that is it . You know who also has the same level shot and acuracy as nylander Carl grunstom problem solved. did you watch nylander play center when matthews was hurt , he wasn't that good he can't carry a line you throw him out there with a top tier center HE LOOKS AMAZING you got someone feeding him the puck WOW he can bury it . Matthews Nylander is literately the Mcdavid effect on Draisaitl . Both are good when playing with elite center but on their own their own they drop a tier . Everyone has their own option i feel strongly about mine as do you feel about yours . that's what this sites about hearing other peoples options right. Ill end on this Nylander will never be an elite center in the NHL ever . An elite winger 100%

I very much disagree but you sound very convicted and I don't like to bicker. Cheers.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
You'd need (desperately) a player like RHD Montour thou...
Has a great offensive skill set but at the same time knows how to defend as well.

He is +70 in his pro career, 37 goals, 113 assists, 150 points (NHL+AHL combined)
At 24, he is no kid anymore nor is he an old timer, perfect fit for your D.

But...Ducks would be mad if they'd trade Montour at this time for anyone,
1 season away from #1 d-man for Ducks i think.

Then again... they have a mad man as their GM, so anything can and will happen.

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You'd need (desperately) a player like RHD Montour thou...
Has a great offensive skill set but at the same time knows how to defend as well.

He is +70 in his pro career, 37 goals, 113 assists, 150 points (NHL+AHL combined)
At 24, he is no kid anymore nor is he an old timer, perfect fit for your D.

But...Ducks would be mad if they'd trade Montour at this time for anyone,
1 season away from #1 d-man for Ducks i think.

Then again... they have a mad man as their GM, so anything can and will happen.

Thanks for the encouragement. This trade is pretty fair. Can’t wait till later today when this poll evens out.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Toronto wants Montour. But. They don't send back Nylander = ANA doesn't make the deal. They only send back Kapanen+ = ANA doesn't do the deal. Case closed?
Toronto fans like to push ritchie as a bust but think kapanen can be a main piece returning a top4 rhd bout to enter his prime.

Typical, your severly underating montour

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
As a Toronto fan I don't think we push ritchie as a bust, I really wanted him that draft year, maybe the only leaf fan that did, also I was praying that the yotes would pass on strome, also probably the only leaf fan that did. But the game of hockey quickly evolved at that time. Big power players are being replaced by skilled fast players, even see that at the defense position now. We here in Toronto were educated to that new hockey, right in the middle of our rebuild, kinda force fed. Ritchie, unfortunately came into the game a little too late, not saying he can't be affective, but would have fit into the game better more then 10 years ago. I still root for him, just haven't seen him hit his ceiling. I'm so happy that leaf management took skill over size at those drafts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The best part of this thread is the people who continually de-value young defenseman that thrive in top-4 minutes with potential to boot.

These are assets that cannot be purchased without an overpayment. You either develop them yourself or pay the entry fee just to play.

Montour did ok as a borderline top 4 dman at age 23.

Nylander thrived as a 1st liner at ages 20-21 - better than getzlaf/Perry at the same age, in fact.

The idea that you can trade your older borderline top4 dman for another team's young 1st liners is embarassing for ducks fans and for hfboards.

Reactions: biotk

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Montour did ok as a borderline top 4 dman at age 23.

Nylander thrived as a 1st liner at ages 20-21 - better than getzlaf/Perry at the same age, in fact.

The idea that you can trade your older borderline top4 dman for another team's young 1st liners is embarassing for ducks fans and for hfboards.
Montour numbers were better than riellys at 23... and it was montours first full season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Montour numbers were better than riellys at 23... and it was montours first full season.

Rielly and Montour are the same age.

and no, Montour is not remotely comparable to Mo in usage or performance.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rielly and Montour are the same age.

and no, Montour is not remotely comparable to Mo in usage or performance.

Id hope so, its montours 1st full season... but it wont be long before hes in that rielly group.

But honestly no point discussing ana top 4 to toronto, cause we dont need your scraps.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Potentially fair value in a year.

Another year for Nylander as the 2nd banana to an elite center is another year away from the independently elite center prospect he was. Barring a breakout, his value will drop.

Montour's value should go up as he becomes more proven.

The difference in contracts will be more pronounced as Matthews and Marner's contracts kick in. Montour will make $2-$3 mil less than Nylander if both are signed to long-term deals.

If the Leafs are 1 round and done again, the hubris may not be as strong as it is right now. It seems like Toronto fans and management are on the same page at the moment: the Leafs don't need to rebalance their core.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Both teams can benefit from each other. Both teams have needs for both players. Im curious on opinions and wanting a HF board generalization of fair trade.

Top 6 Center for Top 4 RHD that is mandatory in this league,

Montour is good, but he offensive-minded, and we have enough of those guys around already. Would only send Nylander for a solid stay-at-home RHD, and none of those are available, so he stays.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'd prefer that the Leafs move Gardiner+ to upgrade the RHD. Doesn't sound like there's much of a fit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad