Proposal: Top pairing puck moving LHD to MTL

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
How about Joel Edmundson? He is coming off a bad year, and I certainly wouldn't call him a top pairing guy right now, but he has played on the top pairing with Alex Pietrangelo in the past. He might rebound with a change of scenery. Not sure what I would ask in return.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
How about Joel Edmundson? He is coming off a bad year, and I certainly wouldn't call him a top pairing guy right now, but he has played on the top pairing with Alex Pietrangelo in the past. He might rebound with a change of scenery. Not sure what I would ask in return.
No reclamation projects or long shots. Willing to pay for the right player.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Just sign Gardiner or Claesson.

If you just want a steady partner for Weber who can log tough minutes 5v5 and PK, Claesson is the perfect guy and you can likely have him for league minimum. Claesson was the 11th best defenceman in raw 4v5 xGA/60 last year on a dreadful PK. He can't carry a pairing, but excels with a skilled partner. While he was crushed with Borowiecki/Ceci/Harpur/Phaenuf he had great results with Karlsson/Shattenkirk/Wideman/Smith/Chabot/DeAngelo.

If you REALLY want to spend assets on a guy with pedigree, how about something around Kreider+Skjei for Gallagher+Lehkonen? We'll just re-sign Claesson to take Skjei's spot.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Just sign Gardiner or Claesson.

If you just want a steady partner for Weber who can log tough minutes 5v5 and PK, Claesson is the perfect guy and you can likely have him for league minimum. Claesson was the 11th best defenceman in raw 4v5 xGA/60 last year on a dreadful PK. He can't carry a pairing, but excels with a skilled partner. While he was crushed with Borowiecki/Ceci/Harpur/Phaenuf he had great results with Karlsson/Shattenkirk/Wideman/Smith/Chabot/DeAngelo.

If you REALLY want to spend assets on a guy with pedigree, how about something around Kreider+Skjei for Gallagher+Lehkonen? We'll just re-sign Claesson to take Skjei's spot.
Gardiner's back issues worry me. Weber has had his fair share of down time and we need someone that's healthy and can carry a pairing if Weber goes down. Petry can't do all the heavy lifting by himself if that happens. So Calesson doesn't fit the bill.

I am interested in Skeij, I don't how welcome Kreider would be after the Price incident lol

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Gardiner's back issues worry me. Weber has had his fair share of down time and we need someone that's healthy and can carry a pairing if Weber goes down. Petry can't do all the heavy lifting by himself if that happens. So Calesson doesn't fit the bill.

I am interested in Skeij, I don't how welcome Kreider would be after the Price incident lol
If you're not intersted in Kreider (you should be), how about Skjei+? for Lehkonen+1st then.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yeah dude what team isn’t looking for a guy like this haha you’ve described like the perfect player. Nobody is trading their top pair, smooth skating, offensive yet defensively sound D to Montreal.

The closest you can get is Fowler, Leddy, and Murray. I think those are realistic targets but they aren’t exactly top poring guys like you’ve asked. And they will cost a lot most likely. Murray is literally always injured, and it’s rumored Fowler prefers to stay in California with his GF do he’d probably nix a trade to MTL anyways.

You’re better off signing Gardiner or trading for a 2nd pairing guy on the cheap.
How about Dmitry Kulikov f5om WPG? Jets could relieve MTL of Alzner if you add: Gallagher and RPoehling; WPG adds M Perreault & Logan Stanley
= Kulikov-Perreault-Stanley for: Alzner-Gallagher-Poehling

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Nurse for Byron + gallagher

What has Nurse done to warrant a 30+ goal scorer with grit signed to what is one of the best contracts in the NHL? On top of that Habs have to add another roster player?

I understand Nurse has solid value after a atrong season but this is too much of an ask imo.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
How about Dmitry Kulikov f5om WPG? Jets could relieve MTL of Alzner if you add: Gallagher and RPoehling; WPG adds M Perreault & Logan Stanley
= Kulikov-Perreault-Stanley for: Alzner-Gallagher-Poehling

This is putrid for Montreal. For Gallagher and Poehling you're gonna need some Laine included.

Reactions: Edgy

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Have to pay for Q D!! Nurse is at cusp of : Breaking thru too a higher level, or
Just just steadying out as a very good D player.
You have to pay for that in today's NHL, right or wrong?
You have to pay for early at that level, legit 30g scorer.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Still think Gardner signs in Montreal.
4 x 5.5M AAV
Depends on his back issues and the chances of them reoccurring, I don't think Montreal is willing to take a chance he might be sidelined for a prolonged period of time or too often during the season. It's do or die time for Bergevin, last year bought him some time but failure to make the playoffs, again, will surely be the final nail in his coffin.

When your star players come out and publicly say they need a team that has shot at winning the cup because their window is closing, you know the owner is listening and will try to get someone that can do the job if you can't. I'm guessing that's why Bergevin broke protocol so to speak and sent an OS to Aho, tried to OS Pointe, heavily pursued Duchene, inquired about every possible star player available. He's trying to save his own ass right now and I don't think Gardiner is right guy to help him do that.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
He is but the problem is that he is only signed for one more season. So his value would not be what people might like it to be.

Given his age and that it's only a one year "rental", his value is a 1st or a decent prospect. Certainly not Suzuki or Romanov. Which would probably not be enough for Calgary.

It's a case of a decent fit, but not a decent return to make it worth it.
Would do Brodie for a 1st. Would even drive him to the airport.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Depends on his back issues and the chances of them reoccurring, I don't think Montreal is willing to take a chance he might be sidelined for a prolonged period of time or too often during the season. It's do or die time for Bergevin, last year bought him some time but failure to make the playoffs, again, will surely be the final nail in his coffin.

When your star players come out and publicly say they need a team that has shot at winning the cup because their window is closing, you know the owner is listening and will try to get someone that can do the job if you can't. I'm guessing that's why Bergevin broke protocol so to speak and sent an OS to Aho, tried to OS Pointe, heavily pursued Duchene, inquired about every possible star player available. He's trying to save his own ass right now and I don't think Gardiner is right guy to help him do that.
I don’t think his job is in jeopardy at all.
He’s been there what, 7 years, and has done nothing of real worth yet. Why would a Molson pressure him now, as long as tickets and merch sell, Molson doesn’t care.
Bergevin is just trying to make it look like he's trying.... keeps the fans interested.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t think his job is in jeopardy at all.
He’s been there what, 7 years, and has done nothing of real worth yet. Why would a Molson pressure him now, as long as tickets and merch sell, Molson doesn’t care.
Bergevin is just trying to make it look like he's trying.... keeps the fans interested.
Keeps the fans frustrated would make more sense...the guy is a clown.

Reactions: vokiel

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Keeps the fans frustrated would make more sense...the guy is a clown.
Was as a player and was his first day as a GM, when he hired a Therrien.
He’s in over his head, has no clue what he’s doing, and is to stupid to learn.
But Molson likes him, so he has a job. Anywhere else he’d have been fired by now..... if he was ever actually hired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad