Proposal: Top pairing puck moving LHD to MTL

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah dude what team isn’t looking for a guy like this haha you’ve described like the perfect player. Nobody is trading their top pair, smooth skating, offensive yet defensively sound D to Montreal.

The closest you can get is Fowler, Leddy, and Murray. I think those are realistic targets but they aren’t exactly top poring guys like you’ve asked. And they will cost a lot most likely. Murray is literally always injured, and it’s rumored Fowler prefers to stay in California with his GF do he’d probably nix a trade to MTL anyways.

You’re better off signing Gardiner or trading for a 2nd pairing guy on the cheap.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TJ Brodie. Left shooting, puck moving defenseman who can skate like the wind. When he’s paired with another top pairing defenseman, he looks elite.

He is but the problem is that he is only signed for one more season. So his value would not be what people might like it to be.

Given his age and that it's only a one year "rental", his value is a 1st or a decent prospect. Certainly not Suzuki or Romanov. Which would probably not be enough for Calgary.

It's a case of a decent fit, but not a decent return to make it worth it.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just wait one year, then offer sheet Chabot

ABSOLUTELY. And very likely. A Quebec boy going home has a lot of upside. Chabot will be crowned Prince Of Hockey in Quebec.

I can see Melnyk screaming at the mirror....and walking away with 2 1st, a second and a third.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brodie+Frolik for Drouin

Anyone else over 30 you want to throw in? Peluso maybe? Are you throwing in any canes?

Not going to happen. We already lost 20 plus goals with the stupid Shaw trade, not going to lose another 20. Nor comparable value.

Brodie age and one season contract length get a top prospect OR a 1st. Nothing more. Romanov is a year away and so is an offer sheet to Chabot.

Otherwise, stand pat.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
If paired with Weber he would be a great number 2. He can skate, he's offensive and he moves the puck very well. Instead of the Habs giving up assets, this is their best option, hands down. Does Gardiner sometimes have lapses in judgement in his own zone? Yep. But he is a good hockey player. Only concern would be how much term Gardiner wants on his deal. But I could see him signing a 5 year, 6.5-7 mil AAV deal, which would improve the Habs D alot.
There is no chance Gardiner is getting that kind of contract this late into the summer.

2 year deal at $5M is more likely.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Ryan Murray + Sonny Milano for Tomas Tatar + Alex Romanov

Habs wouldn't do it.

Sonny Milano is basically a bigger Hudon at this point. With the amount of depth in the Habs' bottom 6 and Laval's top 6, he could end up fighting for a middle 6 spot in Laval (nowhere near NHL).

Ryan Murray is an okay #3 at this point. But his contract expires in 2 years and then he walks.

So at this point:

Tatar >>>> Milano
Romanov = Murray

And the reason I have Romanov = to Murray is that Romanov's ceiling at this point is that of a top-pairing physical puck-moving D with strong defensive reads. Maybe he pans out as a #4, maybe he reaches #2 as he's starting to show with his play in the KHL & at the WJC. But even then, Romanov is 7-8 years away from UFA, most of which will be at low cost. Murray on the other hand gets to walk in two years.

Reactions: Steeler23

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I know this is a MTL thread but what would the ask be for Nutivaara be?

We need a relatively cheap RHD to play with Reilly next year and if he can play top pairing shut down role with Reilly I would be up for that?

Is CLB going semi rebuild?

CBJ needs a legit 2C...so werenski would be on the table for a 1 for 1, or nuti with adds as needed

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
CBJ needs a legit 2C...so werenski would be on the table for a 1 for 1, or nuti with adds as needed

It’s too bad the TML and CBJ couldn’t have worked out a deal around Kadri plus for Wennberg and Nuti. Personally I would have preferred this deal over the Kerfoot and Barrie deal as both have term.

Reactions: Viqsi

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
There is no chance Gardiner is getting that kind of contract this late into the summer.

2 year deal at $5M is more likely.
I highly doubt that. No way he will sign for less than 6. He will still get a 4 or 5 year deal for 6+.

Ledge And Dairy

He is but the problem is that he is only signed for one more season. So his value would not be what people might like it to be.

Given his age and that it's only a one year "rental", his value is a 1st or a decent prospect. Certainly not Suzuki or Romanov. Which would probably not be enough for Calgary.

It's a case of a decent fit, but not a decent return to make it worth it.
There is a very high chance Brodie will resign with whichever team he is on by next year due to his 1 year old daughter and wife's health condition. Moving around too much for them would be less than ideal. As for price Danault interests me the most.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Anyone else over 30 you want to throw in? Peluso maybe? Are you throwing in any canes?

Not going to happen. We already lost 20 plus goals with the stupid Shaw trade, not going to lose another 20. Nor comparable value.

Brodie age and one season contract length get a top prospect OR a 1st. Nothing more. Romanov is a year away and so is an offer sheet to Chabot.

Otherwise, stand pat.
Shaw trade wasn't stupid. We sold high and we're going to have a solid future for it.

Reactions: Steeler23

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
What about a deal around Brodin? Brodin provides Habs a Top 4 LHD who can help them compete before Price and Weber are too old and he can play right side if they need it when Brook and Romanov are ready. Wild could use any a young C/RW or a future 1st.

Reactions: Vachon23

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Otherwise, stand pat.

We've seen your offer sheets , RFLOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad