Proposal: Top pairing puck moving LHD to MTL

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
It's no secret we need an upgrade over Mete to play with Weber and let the guy develop properly without the pressure of being the Habs #2 on a regular basis.

What we need is a true #2, not an aging, overpaid, often injured, but maybe serviceable #2. Ideally, under 7mil cap hit with signing potential for 2-3 years at least if he has no term on his contract. Don't care if he's not an offensive defenseman as long as he can skate with the puck and is solid defensively.

Almost nothing off the table, provided that the player you're suggesting commands such value. Keep it realistic.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Gardiner is probably the Most realistic option he’d compliment Weber very well.

But are you looking at a vet that can log top pairing minutes like let’s say Keith? Or a young guy like Werenski?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I think the isles and MTL could maybe be a match. Leddy could fill that void for MTL. I’m guessing the isles would have interest in a young center/prospect or a scoring winger which MTL have.

Something involving Tatar, Suzuki or Poehling from MTL and Leddy from the isles.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Jackets would want one of your top forwards for either Murray or Nutivaara. Both have spent time next to Jones and have not been out of place. CBJ sitting with a surplus of LHDs and could afford to move one for a forward. Werenski and Gavrikov both top 4 guys that are less likely to be moved. Kukan and Harrington both third pairing capable guys available for lesser value or available in a package. Murray and Nutivaara (and Savard) just seem to be the most likely to be moved because their high trade value and that one is usually playing third pair minutes.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
*Top pairing.
If paired with Weber he would be a great number 2. He can skate, he's offensive and he moves the puck very well. Instead of the Habs giving up assets, this is their best option, hands down. Does Gardiner sometimes have lapses in judgement in his own zone? Yep. But he is a good hockey player. Only concern would be how much term Gardiner wants on his deal. But I could see him signing a 5 year, 6.5-7 mil AAV deal, which would improve the Habs D alot.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Show me the evidence that Gardiner isn’t top-pairing. Then tell me how great his playing partners are. To make it easy on you, he’s played primarily with Zaitsev.

You’re probably subscribed to the hive mind. You’d be better served doing your own research instead of constantly spewing popular narratives for likes.

I think Gardiner was more of an anchor for Z than the other way around.

But hes a solid #3 just put him with someone responsible.

Save the assets and take him for free.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
I think Gardiner was more of an anchor for Z than the other way around.

But hes a solid #3 just put him with someone responsible.

Save the assets and take him for free.
I think they weren’t a complimentary pairing.

I also think Gardiner has a significantly better track record away from Zaitsev than vice versa.

Reactions: stopclickbait

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Brodie could be a fit.

Would be alot cheaper than most options and has shown in the past he can fit on a top pairing with ease.

Prefers the right side, but plays the left side also.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Murray or Nutivaara could be available

I know this is a MTL thread but what would the ask be for Nutivaara be?

We need a relatively cheap RHD to play with Reilly next year and if he can play top pairing shut down role with Reilly I would be up for that?

Is CLB going semi rebuild?

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
Best fit short term would be Gustafsson....he has only 1 year left before becoming UFA and Chicago has only 10 forwards signed with Perlini still to sign.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I know this is a MTL thread but what would the ask be for Nutivaara be?

We need a relatively cheap RHD to play with Reilly next year and if he can play top pairing shut down role with Reilly I would be up for that?

Is CLB going semi rebuild?

No, not rebuilding. Nuti’s excelled playing the right side as a LHD so there’s a fit. From Toronto though? I’d be willing to add to Nuti to get Nylander.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Jackets would want one of your top forwards for either Murray or Nutivaara. Both have spent time next to Jones and have not been out of place. CBJ sitting with a surplus of LHDs and could afford to move one for a forward. Werenski and Gavrikov both top 4 guys that are less likely to be moved. Kukan and Harrington both third pairing capable guys available for lesser value or available in a package. Murray and Nutivaara (and Savard) just seem to be the most likely to be moved because their high trade value and that one is usually playing third pair minutes.
Ryan Murray + Sonny Milano for Tomas Tatar + Alex Romanov

Reactions: Edgy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Show me the evidence that Gardiner isn’t top-pairing. Then tell me how great his playing partners are. To make it easy on you, he’s played primarily with Zaitsev.

You’re probably subscribed to the hive mind. You’d be better served doing your own research instead of constantly spewing popular narratives for likes.

as someone who has probably seen 500+ games of gards, he is a very strong #3.
He would get eaten up on the top pairing expected to play against the top lines of other teams

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No, not rebuilding. Nuti’s excelled playing the right side as a LHD so there’s a fit. From Toronto though? I’d be willing to add to Nuti to get Nylander.

lol. Nuutivara is a fine bottom pairing dman, but there isn't a fit here unless its werenski coming back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad