Movies: Top Gun 2

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Absolutely incredible. Was sweating heavily throughout the movie especially the last half. My 2nd best movie experience after Interstellar. 9.5/10, Tom Cruise is the man, did not expect all the emotions also. Awesome.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Also regret seeing Doctor Strange at the cinema. Pretty mediocre marvel film.
It’s so ironic. I didn’t think the first Dr. Strange movie would be that good so I waited until it was available via DVD/streaming. But I enjoyed it way more than I thought, so because of that I paid to watch the sequel in the theater. Shoulda been the other way around.
The sequel was a chaotic hot mess.
My main gripe is how Strange proclaims how much he loves Christine and always has?! Where in all the other Marvel movie appearances did he show that??? What a crock! At least with Steve Rogers and Peggy we were given glimpses in multiple Marvel movies.

Reactions: I am not exposed

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's not a cinematic masterpiece that I'll think about for years, but its a great popcorn flick and chose the right homages without being too cheesy. If you liked the first one, an absolute must-see in theatres.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Box office wise, this movie is having a great run. It's opening weekend was above expectations, but, the real story is the word of mouth.

Usually, coming of an opening weekend, and especially off a long weekend, a good second weekend drop these days for a blockbuster is 50-55%. If it's under 50%, that's a great sign.

Right now, it's looking like Top Gun Maverick is going to land around 30%. It should overtake Doctor Strange and The Batman to become the biggest movie of the year thus far, and, it'll depend on how Jurassic World and Thor perform if it holds that. But, it's word of mouth is so strong that it could conceivably end the summer still holding that title.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Box office wise, this movie is having a great run. It's opening weekend was above expectations, but, the real story is the word of mouth.

Usually, coming of an opening weekend, and especially off a long weekend, a good second weekend drop these days for a blockbuster is 50-55%. If it's under 50%, that's a great sign.

Right now, it's looking like Top Gun Maverick is going to land around 30%. It should overtake Doctor Strange and The Batman to become the biggest movie of the year thus far, and, it'll depend on how Jurassic World and Thor perform if it holds that. But, it's word of mouth is so strong that it could conceivably end the summer still holding that title.

There is only one solution: There must be Top Gun 3.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just an incredibly predictable, ultra cliche vanity project/recruitment poster by our aging manchild. Cool planes, though, and Kilmer is the best and most human thing in the movie.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
What a great movie. IT's so refreshing to watch a film in which you know most of what you are experiencing is real and not a Marvel CGI-fest.

By next Monday it will surpass Dr. CGI Strange as North America's top-grossing movie of the year. Well-earned.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just an incredibly predictable, ultra cliche vanity project/recruitment poster by our aging manchild.

"vanity project"? LOL! The movie is literally on track to be the highest grossing movie of the year beating out all the superhero CGI crapfests. Seems like a lot of people are interested in this "vanity project".

And who cares if he's "aging"? He does his own stunts and fully earns playing a badass on screen. It's not like he is sitting comfortably in front of a green screen in an air-conditioned cockpit set... the man is out there in the sky enduring 8g g-forces and doing crazy stunts. He has my respect that he's not out there just trying to make an easy buck by joining Marvel but instead doing hard movies like Maverick and Mission Impossible.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Might be safe to say this will enter the Godfather II, Aliens, T2, Empire, TDK, etc. category of sequels arguably better than the original, or at least just as good.

I have a soft spot for both, Top Gun 86 hits all of the 80s buttons right and is always an easy watch.
Maverick being made so much later, nicely touched on nostalgia, introduced a not annoying "Next Generation", and took modern stunt action to the max.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Fantastic movie and well overdue.

Only gripe is when they steal the F14.... seems a little unrealistic that nobody would notice them running to the hanger to take it and fly out, even if it was an old likely out of use plane.

Glad Iceman could make an appearance even if it was brief.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
It's not like he is sitting comfortably in front of a green screen in an air-conditioned cockpit set... the man is out there in the sky enduring 8g g-forces and doing crazy stunts. He has my respect that he's not out there just trying to make an easy buck by joining Marvel but instead doing hard movies like Maverick and Mission Impossible.
Comic book/sci-fi/fantasy movies are my jam but even I have to admit fatigue when it comes to green screen/overly CGI'd movies. Glad that TG:Maverick is a welcome respite from all the onscreen fakery. And bonus is that it's a well made film. :thumbu:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Might be safe to say this will enter the Godfather II, Aliens, T2, Empire, TDK, etc. category of sequels arguably better than the original, or at least just as good.

I have a soft spot for both, Top Gun 86 hits all of the 80s buttons right and is always an easy watch.
Maverick being made so much later, nicely touched on nostalgia, introduced a not annoying "Next Generation", and took modern stunt action to the max.
OT but am I the only one that doesn't put Aliens anywhere near Alien?

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It has a 99% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder who the 1% are.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Saw it again, this time with my folks. Oddly I think I enjoyed it a bit more the second time now that I knew what to expect out of the new crop of pilots. Hangman felt a little overly cartoonish the first time and I was worried the about an unwanted Rooster/Phoenix love interest subplot. It is rare to get my parents to go out to a theater (even pre-pandemic), but my dad highly enjoyed himself and joked about wanting to see it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00