Movies: Top Gun 2

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I still cant believe they are actually making this but it appears almost ready to go into production as they have now cast Miles Teller in role of Goose son

Miles Teller Nabs Goose's Son Role in 'Top Gun' Sequel

I guess Maverick will be father figure/mentor to him in movie. I loved Whiplash but find Teller rather meh as an actor

Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise are already on board so it seem pretty certain this movie is happening as they appear to have everything a go

Its either going to be nostalgic fun or forgettable sequel

Will be interesting to see what the storyline they develop is for this

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Cruise rarely is ever in a "bad" movie, so we'll see. It's tough to get your hopes up for any of these "long-awaited" sequels though. Blade Runner 2049 is the only one that has REALLY worked off the top of my head, but they also had some of the best talent in the business behind that.

Kosinski directed Oblivion, which I thought was just OK, and then interestingly enough directed another franchise movie with a huge time gap in between entries with TRON: Legacy. I think TRON was fine for what it was, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good movie.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Cruise rarely is ever in a "bad" movie, so we'll see. It's tough to get your hopes up for any of these "long-awaited" sequels though. Blade Runner 2049 is the only one that has REALLY worked off the top of my head, but they also had some of the best talent in the business behind that.

Kosinski directed Oblivion, which I thought was just OK, and then interestingly enough directed another franchise movie with a huge time gap in between entries with TRON: Legacy. I think TRON was fine for what it was, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good movie.

He did the Mummy very recently, so he's not immune, but, I don't think he signs on for a sequel like this unless there was something special in the script.

I also liked Whiplash, but Miles Teller is grating, so, does not add much to the desire to see this film.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I enjoyed TRON: Legacy very much to be honest

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah Tron and Oblivion were pretty solid 7.5/10's for me.

Could see a Top Gun sequel really working. It definitely doesn't have me rolling my eyes like some other reboots/sequels to really old movies do

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not opposed to a sequel. I can't see it being bad enough to tarnish the original, especially with Cruise's consistency and it being the director of Tron: Legacy and Oblivion. It's hard to see it being very good, either, but it could be enough if it's just decent and nostalgic (like Tron: Legacy was).

Cruise, Kilmer, Loggins... Does this mean I'll have to go watch it with the girlfriend I had at the time? My current girlfriend is going to be furious.

If you've been dating for over 32 years and still haven't committed, maybe she's more understanding than you give her credit for ;).

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
This isn't exactly a sequel anyone asked for. I bet Russia is the antagonist again, as China is pretty much a no go these days for fear of ostracizing ticket sales.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
With these sequels/reboots of movies from the 80's and 90's I think it's important not to make them too safe or bland like Total Recall and Robocop. I think you have to capture the cheesy cornball aspect of that era in a good way.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Probably will just go Iron Eagle route and have it be some unnamed ME country

It's funny that you mention Iron Eagle because I was just thinking yesterday, as I was reading this thread, about what a possible plot could be and Iron Eagle's came to mind. Maybe a twist on that plot could work, where Goose's son gets shot down and captured and old Tom has to return to active duty to rescue him. That may sound corny, but we're talking about a sequel to an 80s movie, so it has to be a little corny, IMO.

With these sequels/reboots of movies from the 80's and 90's I think it's important not to make them too safe or bland like Total Recall and Robocop. I think you have to capture the cheesy cornball aspect of that era in a good way.

I agree. The Total Recall and Robocop reboots tried to be cool and modern and it left them soulless. Capturing the 80s feeling, even if it's not unique or creative, at least gives the film a soul (and one that a lot of people want to see in such franchises, anyways).

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah, no. The old one was a free commercial for the military. I was too young to get that then but I'm not falling for it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad