Movies: Top Gun 2

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I wouldn't say it's his funeral, you can see Maverick attaching his wings badge onto the coffin, why would he do that if the person dead was ex naval aviator who already earned his badge, and you also have a scene where Mav and Rooster (Goose's kid) get into a fight and other hold them back. My theory would be there was another death at training because Maverick was pushing his students too much, the fight was result of something along the lines of "you killed him/her with reckless flying just like you killed my father" and at the funeral he gives up mentoring at NFWS - gives up his wings. Then he goes to Mojave desert, area51 or wherever and gets to fly that black plane Aurura or...I don't know what it is...
Yeah, Val Kilmer just waited way too long to get his cancer treated because of Christian Science so they had to take out his vocal cords, he can still act and they can just edit his voice in after.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Nice done. I can think, that this will make a splash and more and more young people will want to be pilots.

Looking to another movie in F-35.

The original did wonders for USN recruitment in the 80s, which is a good since the Navy has the biggest problems with retention.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Yeah, the original film had a great support from the Navy,and it was practically recruitment film for them... there was a funny story told by Michael Ironside on some tv show where he talked how he was in a grocery store or something like that, and two really big dudes came up to him and said: hey, you're Jester, right? We signed up for navy aviators because in Top Gun movie everything looked easy....well guess what, it ain't easy at all :)
And he was like uuups...the guy almost crapped his pants lol

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The trailers for this film really do look good but I wonder if they are going to get any of the other guys back as cameos. For example, is Skerritt still acting (or alive?). Did they try to get McGillis? It seems like the only guy they got back was Cruise and that might be a little disappointing.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The trailers for this film really do look good but I wonder if they are going to get any of the other guys back as cameos. For example, is Skerritt still acting (or alive?). Did they try to get McGillis? It seems like the only guy they got back was Cruise and that might be a little disappointing.

Last time I saw her she changed a lot. I doubt she's in this.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

Skerrritt pops up here and there, can't really remember the last big or meaningful thing he's done then again he is 86.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Cruise is about the only guy from the original Top Gun that is still relevant as an actor. I think they should have asked Ironside but I believe he has a beef with someone

Reactions: Voight

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cruise is about the only guy from the original Top Gun that is still relevant as an actor. I think they should have asked Ironside but I believe he has a beef with someone

He also got fat and seems to have developed a lisp. He did voice over for Sam Fisher in the Ghost Recon: Break Point game and it was quite clear.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How is Kilmer in this with no voicebox? Guessing lines are dubbed

Someone mentioned a rumor earlier in the thread that...
...he dies and Maverick attends his funeral early in the movie. Maybe Maverick also visits him in the hospital just before he passes or maybe even his only scene is as a dead Iceman during an open-casket funeral.

Reactions: Voight

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Reviews from an early screening are pretty good... though the media that get invited to these things tend to be positive in order to keep getting invited, so take these with a grain of salt...

Yes. So much yes. #TopGunMaverick is a masterful adrenaline rush. Tom Cruise is our greatest movie star. This delivers EVERYTHING you want in a blockbuster. Aerial scenes are jaw dropping. Character work is fantastic. Pure action with massive heart. A must see!
TOP GUN: MAVERICK is everything we wanted it to be and more. So many laughs, so many tears, and your heart rate will be through the roof. Absolutely thrilling.
One word: Wow! #TopGunMaverick is absolutely terrific in every conceivable way. The action & flying is crazy intense & continually changes & evolves. You’re on the edge of your seat. I was not prepared for how emotional it was, too. The crowd cheered a dozen times. It’s real deal
TOP GUN: MAVERICK is the perfect blockbuster. Not only did it feature dazzling aerial combat sequences, but I actually cried, it’s that emotional. And call me crazy, but I humbly predict that it WILL land a Best Picture nod next year. It’s not just THAT good, it’s VERY good.
Full disclosure. I’m a huge Top Gun fan. But I think even if I wasn’t, I would have LOVED Top Gun: Maverick. The action is intense & gorgeous, characters and relationships rich & rewarding, then it tugs on the heart strings too. It’s a special sequel & I’ll be its wingman anytime

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'll see it on my couch eventually.

But damn, I watched the original a few months ago with my wife...i thought it aged pretty terrible :laugh:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I'll see it on my couch eventually.

But damn, I watched the original a few months ago with my wife...i thought it aged pretty terrible :laugh:

It's definitely of its era, but the flying sequences still remain some of the best ever shot - done in the days before CGI made everything look ridiculously unrealistic. Hopefully the sequel uses the real thing. Looking at the trailers, its pretty clear Cruise is sat in the backseat of a real jet, so I remain optimistic.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->