Movies: Top Gun 2

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Enjoyable movie with some pretty great natural action scenes. Few issues I have with it:

1. A mission like that could easily be replaced with AI/drones or generally in a way that didn’t involve human operated fighters manually doing that. I can’t pretend I know much about air warfare but gotta think there are other options available.. basically proving the point made earlier in the movie that drones can replace human pilots. But I get it.. that’s the plot and movie so that’s the way it is. Also no mention of any kind of retaliation.. mission done and everyone celebrates. An attack like that would spark a war but I guess we are to believe the enemy just tucked its tail between its legs and accepted it

2. That mission was essentially the last 30 minutes of Star Wars A New Hope. Replace fighter jets with x-wings and tai fighters and I can’t tell the difference.

3. The whole “going against orders cause I’m a badass “ thing happened a little too often. Not at all realistic and should of maybe only happened a couple times. But literally anything anyone did went against directed orders. I get it it’s a movie and stuff but maybe just cut back a tad on that
Just watched I rove the weekend so late to the party. Overall a lot of callbacks to the original.

1) for drones would it be due to the terrain? Might lose the signal/communication with it? Drones are best used in open areas not navigating through the type of terrain the F18’s had to.
2) very Star Wars type of mission
3) I agree. There’s trying to prove a point but there should be consequences to disobeying direct orders. Court martial leading to at least a dishonourable discharge of not an arrest and confinement. But these are the movies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Maverick is now the number one grossing movie of the year in North America. Based on its staying power so far I can see it hitting between $500 - $550 million by the end of its run. I can't see Jurassic Park, Thor, Black Adam or Black Panther beating that. Only wild card is Avatar.
I underestimated the final gross. Maverick will likely flirt with $650 million by the end of its run. This movie has legs!

One thing is for sure - it will be the box office champ of the summer!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How necessary is it for me to watch the first top gun before watching maverick?
I've heard some people say that they loved it even without seeing the original and I haven't heard of anyone saying that they couldn't understand what was going on, so I wouldn't say that it's strictly necessary to watch the original first. That said, you'll get more out of it if you do, since the most emotional elements come from relationships that were built in the original, so I recommend watching that first. It's only about $3 to rent on most services, which is a small price to pay to really get your money's worth when you rent the sequel.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I've heard some people say that they loved it even without seeing the original and I haven't heard of anyone saying that they couldn't understand what was going on, so I wouldn't say that it's strictly necessary to watch the original first. That said, you'll get more out of it if you do, since the most emotional elements come from relationships that were built in the original, so I recommend watching that first. It's only about $3 to rent on most services, which is a small price to pay to really get your money's worth when you rent the sequel.

You technically dont have to see it, but without it you will miss out on just about all the heart and emotional beats of Top Gun 2

Reactions: NorCalhockey
Sep 19, 2008
Waiting till they put it on a damn streaming service. Hurry up already. I ain't forking over 20 bucks to watch it on Google

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00