Movies: Top Gun 2

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Unfortunately, saw it only in 2D. Nice action movie. But 2 question:

1. Why didnt they simply used a precise missile strike?

2. It is a common thing to refuse commands in US Army?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

1) My guess is because of how small the opening was. Lets just say the missile misses by a little bit - they are screwed and the operation is over.

2) Not to my knowledge. Thats where the Hollywood part comes in.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

1. Because we wouldn’t get a cool movie. They make reference to the future of not needing pilots from the Admiral.

2. Navy*, no it is not at all. That’s added purely for character development and story.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Someone please please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not an expert and love to learn.

My understanding is that with these SAMs, be it like the s400, are built to intercept cruise missiles and other short range PGMs. I mean...given how improbable the success of the actual mission was in the movie...between one low probability option and another you might go with the unmanned one anyways. But, I think cruise missiles wouldn't necessarily be more effective, they would just be less costly.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Someone please please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not an expert and love to learn.

My understanding is that with these SAMs, be it like the s400, are built to intercept cruise missiles and other short range PGMs. I mean...given how improbable the success of the actual mission was in the movie...between one low probability option and another you might go with the unmanned one anyways. But, I think cruise missiles wouldn't necessarily be more effective, they would just be less costly.

S400 and Patriot is a defensive system. to shoot down missiles.

But you have precise bombs, guided with laser, from B-2.

Ok, im not a expert. And i agree, they had to create some story.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
S400 and Patriot is a defensive system. to shoot down missiles.

But you have precise bombs, guided with laser, from B-2.

Ok, im not a expert. And i agree, they had to create some story.
No one here is an expert haha but I think it's a fun discussion.

I think as a technicality, idk how this would interplay in real life, but all the stealth bombers are in the Air Force, the Navy doesn't have any to my knowledge, but that's a good point. Stealth bombers also couldn't take off from an aircraft carrier so basically the assignment would not be within the scope of a naval operation.

People did point out the very valid objection that they would probably be better suited, particularly for this mission, using a fat amy haha.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Maverick is now the number one grossing movie of the year in North America. Based on its staying power so far I can see it hitting between $500 - $550 million by the end of its run. I can't see Jurassic Park, Thor, Black Adam or Black Panther beating that. Only wild card is Avatar.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Is there any data, that after Top Gun 1 there was a boom to be fighter pilot? Or it is only a myth?

Do you think, Top Gun 2 will make some influence into this?

In the movie there is talk, that pilots will be obsolete in some time. IMO there will be always important to have at least some jets with human pilots.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
A little behind on this but just walked out. Really enjoyable movie. The dialogue and some of the narrative choices were still super cheesy and I couldn't tell if if it was written that way as an homage to the original or not, but there were times it took me out of the movie.

But other than that I don't have much to complain about.

The action sequences were unbelievable throughout. I mean there were some sequences that were genuinely breathtaking and I really don't say that much about many modern movies. The focus on practical effects was such a strong point of the whole thing.

Really great time at the movies and this absolutely merits an Imax viewing or at minimum an audio enhanced theater. I'm going to try to find the time in a packed week this coming week to see it imax again. As someone with no real fondness or nostalgia for the original, I really liked the sequel.

Last edited:

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Solid action movie that was made so much better because it didn't have any political agenda storyline forced into it
I think it’s smart that in this movie and the original Top Gun, the enemy was never identified because it makes the films timeless, and won’t appear outdated years/decades later.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The US military got to edit the script

They had the right to request changes, but I read that they didn't request any for this movie (or the original Top Gun).

I also read that they don't insist that movies using their property portray the military in a positive light, just not a negative light. For example, Maverick in the original Top Gun isn't a positive representation of a Navy fighter pilot (far too reckless and a hot shot), but not exactly a negative one, either.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Enjoyable movie with some pretty great natural action scenes. Few issues I have with it:

1. A mission like that could easily be replaced with AI/drones or generally in a way that didn’t involve human operated fighters manually doing that. I can’t pretend I know much about air warfare but gotta think there are other options available.. basically proving the point made earlier in the movie that drones can replace human pilots. But I get it.. that’s the plot and movie so that’s the way it is. Also no mention of any kind of retaliation.. mission done and everyone celebrates. An attack like that would spark a war but I guess we are to believe the enemy just tucked its tail between its legs and accepted it

2. That mission was essentially the last 30 minutes of Star Wars A New Hope. Replace fighter jets with x-wings and tai fighters and I can’t tell the difference.

3. The whole “going against orders cause I’m a badass “ thing happened a little too often. Not at all realistic and should of maybe only happened a couple times. But literally anything anyone did went against directed orders. I get it it’s a movie and stuff but maybe just cut back a tad on that

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is there any data, that after Top Gun 1 there was a boom to be fighter pilot? Or it is only a myth?

Do you think, Top Gun 2 will make some influence into this?

In the movie there is talk, that pilots will be obsolete in some time. IMO there will be always important to have at least some jets with human pilots.

It is insanely difficult to become a fighter pilot in any of the US military branches. They are going to weed out any pretenders very, very quickly in the process.

I suppose it's entirely reasonable some people get inspired to go that route because of these movies but at the end of the day there's still a finite amount of "spots" available for those jobs so I doubt there's really any statistical difference as a result of the movies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My takeaway from the film is that it was dumb but pretty fun. I'm not going to downplay a movie that had me constantly grinning merely because it made me roll my eyes a few times.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00