Movies: Top Gun 2

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Who knows if the storyline will be any good, but the cinematography sure does look amazing.

Yes there was a smoking hot Kelly McGillis, yes there was homo-erotic volleyball scene, but the real stars of the original movie were the planes, and the flying scenes. No CGI, just a couple of shots that used models.

And it looks the same here. Yes there's some OTT stunts, but the flying scenes look super-realistic and Cruise for sure looks like he's actually in a flying plane (I imagine in the back of a 2-seater). Interesting that we also see a P-51 Mustang in the trailer as Cruise owns and flys his own P-51.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It si know, that Cruis did his stunt scenes alone. Did he also pilot his jet in this movie?

Btw. a little bid conspiracy (from Wikipedia):
Shortly after the film trailer's release, Canadian journalist Mark MacKinnon spotted that Mitchell's leather bomber jacket had been changed from the original film to omit the Republic of China and Japanese national flags present on the original, leading to speculation that the change was politically motivated in order to appease the Communist Party of China.[47] The move drew some controversy in the United States, with U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham[48] and Donald Trump Jr. criticizing the alteration.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Who knows if the storyline will be any good, but the cinematography sure does look amazing.

That shot of the F-18 going vertical over the other one in what I'm guessing is the new "I'm going to hit the brakes" move was awesome looking. It's like something you'd see at a Blue Angels show (which I would highly recommend going to by the way).

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lots of people are speculating that its Iceman's funeral in trailers

Given his health issues in real life and fact he is MIA from trailers that is a reasonable guess

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This trailer shows that they are self-aware enough to know why Top Gun was such a hit. That's the problem a lot of the other reboots have, they aren't self-aware enough to know why the original was a success.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Tom might be crazy, but man he's a badass.

Tom really is a bad ass. He gets a bad rap from Scientology, the guy is on top of his game at 57 years old, and barely looks it. Doing his own stunts to boot! He showed up at a track a couple of years ago and ran an F1 car around with some fairly impressive laps. Most people wouldn't be able to complete 1 lap or be in shape to complete several, on top of it he ran good.

So he's really flying one of those jets? Impressive.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Tom really is a bad ass. He gets a bad rap from Scientology, the guy is on top of his game at 57 years old, and barely looks it. Doing his own stunts to boot! He showed up at a track a couple of years ago and ran an F1 car around with some fairly impressive laps. Most people wouldn't be able to complete 1 lap or be in shape to complete several, on top of it he ran good.

So he's really flying one of those jets? Impressive.

Its against law for him to fly a Naval F-18 (Its US Government Property)

He is a certified pilot so its possible he may have flown something else in film such as the aircraft at 2:25

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's probably a two-seater Super Hornet and they put him in the front.

They can probably CGI out the cockpit to a single-seater after if they wanted.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Where? In the clip?

There's nothing in there about Tom Cruise literally piloting a jet fighter.

No it was another article I was reading but I guess it's misquoted and confusing. Is said he actually piloted in the film, but not what I was thinking originally. My bad. It read like he piloted a jet that was out of service.

So the shots of him is the back of a 2 seater. I;m curious to what he flew in the movie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No it was another article I was reading but I guess it's misquoted and confusing. Is said he actually piloted in the film, but not what I was thinking originally. My bad. It read like he piloted a jet that was out of service.

So the shots of him is the back of a 2 seater. I;m curious to what he flew in the movie.

Well, you can fly a jet from the back, so he could still be in the front for some of the shots.

They use the two-seaters for training (and maybe for Electronic Warfare "Wild Weasel" missions, I forget).

I do know that he's a pilot and is relentless in doing his own stunts, which is pretty admirable. The shot of what looks like a P-51 in the clip (2:25) could be what is being referred to.

EDIT: Yeah, they use the EA-18 Growler two-seater F-18 for electronic warfare, which I should have known without looking it up as I drove by their training base on Whidbey Island in Washington State.

Washington state sues Navy over expansion of Growler jet training on Whidbey Island

It's funny, despite the alleged environmental impacts, most of the signs in the area were very pro-expansion because of all of the business the military brings to the area.

Last edited:

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Lots of people are speculating that its Iceman's funeral in trailers

Given his health issues in real life and fact he is MIA from trailers that is a reasonable guess

I mean he's credited as a cast member in the movie, is he just lying down in his coffin :laugh:

I wouldn't say it's his funeral, you can see Maverick attaching his wings badge onto the coffin, why would he do that if the person dead was ex naval aviator who already earned his badge, and you also have a scene where Mav and Rooster (Goose's kid) get into a fight and other hold them back. My theory would be there was another death at training because Maverick was pushing his students too much, the fight was result of something along the lines of "you killed him/her with reckless flying just like you killed my father" and at the funeral he gives up mentoring at NFWS - gives up his wings. Then he goes to Mojave desert, area51 or wherever and gets to fly that black plane Aurura or...I don't know what it is...

Reactions: Sticksandsun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad