Movies: Top Gun 2

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If they get Val Kilmer into shape, this movie will deserve an Oscar. Kinda sad to see the F-14 Tomcat not in this. The two-man cockpit was a nice dynamic for the drama in the movie. But yeah, it's retired so not too surprised.

member 157595

If they get Val Kilmer into shape, this movie will deserve an Oscar. Kinda sad to see the F-14 Tomcat not in this. The two-man cockpit was a nice dynamic for the drama in the movie. But yeah, it's retired so not too surprised.

I feel the need...the need for AARP

Reactions: kingsholygrail

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
But there is a F14 at the end of a clip. Maybe Mav is the last pilot that flew on this type of aircraft and retired it? Also who is Ed Harris supposed to be? Older James Tolkan aka Stinger?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What else would it be though? Maverick flying with the blue angels. Or doing air drops or rubber dog poop over china.

this is going to be war, a ton of it, with huge explosions and swearing and girls with heaving sweaty breasts, and in the end we're going to find out that Iceman had resigned his commissions and gone on to become a mercenary pilot for a fictitious Russian break away state and he and Maverick will finally settle who's the best, and just as Mavericks side winder slams into Ice's Su-27 he'll sadly say "You could still be my wing . . . " and Maverick will wipe one tear away and then later throw Ice's dog tags into the ocean.
...or two hours of Tom Cruise showing off (the first trailer suggests it's about nothing at all). I like your version, though.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Looks like some good footage in the trailer. I would be worried they would go so CGI, and it would be obviously fake. The original had some awesome real shots and they were able to do it by utilizing different angles. So much so the Pentagon investigated why multiple missiles were fired when only one was authorized.

Looks like they used real jets and pilots for it. Awesome.

Story has been out there for a while.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's too bad that they didn't do a sequel about 15 years ago, before F-14 was retired. It would've been neat to have Maverick be one of the last F-14 pilots, stubbornly sticking to that unconventional dinosaur while all of the kids were flying newer fighters, and have the film be its own retirement of the plane.

I don't go to many films in the theater these days, but this is one that I might just have to watch on the big screen.

I'll only be impressed if Tom Cruise is actually flying the fighter jets.

It sounds like he is. He says that he's done stunt flying and has even flown with the Blue Angels, who fly F/A-18s, the same as in this movie. That could be a reason why his character flies one in this movie (rather than something newer, like an F-22 or F-35), since it sounds like Tom has familiarity flying the plane. Also, he could've afforded to cover the $70M price tag if he had wrecked it.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Tom Cruise needs to have a running scene.

Have to say the trailer doesn't look too bad.

This movie isn't Top Gun II though: that belongs to the Nintendo Game :)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Off the top of my head, the movies currently out that I would consider original - Stuber, Crawl, Yesterday.
Judging from the trailers there is nothing the least original about either Crawl or Stuber as both are standard-fare genre movies. As for Yesterday, the premise may be original, but the execution is a romantic cliche and anything but fresh. I think the other guy was right. Originality in Hollywood has gone the way of the do-do.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Judging from the trailers there is nothing the least original about either Crawl or Stuber as both are standard-fare genre movies. As for Yesterday, the premise may be original, but the execution is a romantic cliche and anything but fresh. I think the other guy was right. Originality in Hollywood has gone the way of the do-do.

I was taking a shower this morning when I got to thinking about that pesky kihei fellow in the Top Gun thread (yes, I thought about you in the shower; no, I don't do that regularly). I started thinking... how many non-Hollywood films are all that original, themselves? Don't many borrow from premises that have already been done in Hollywood, and do they tend to get a pass simply because they're not Hollywood films, whereas they'd be criticized for being unoriginal if they were made by Hollywood? Also, do we tend to check out only the best examples of non-Hollywood films (ignoring the tons of unoriginal garbage) and, thus, get a warped view of those industries' originality, whereas we're exposed to just about every Hollywood film and get a much more cynical view of that industry's originality?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

I mean, if you’re going to be that picky about what an original film is... of course there won’t be many.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
It certainly sounds like he is. In fact, in the Conan clip posted above, he made it sound like he flew the F-14 several times for the original film. He might've just been in the "passenger" seat, but he said that he went through pilot training, so who knows. Nowadays, though, he's a certified pilot and familiar with all kinds of aircraft, so I'm sure that he's really flying the F/A-18 in this one.

There was an interview when he talked about flying with instructor named "Bozo" it was funny, look it up on youtube

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It sounds like he is. He says that he's done stunt flying and has even flown with the Blue Angels, who fly F/A-18s, the same as in this movie. That could be a reason why his character flies one in this movie (rather than something newer, like an F-22 or F-35), since it sounds like Tom has familiarity flying the plane. Also, he could've afforded to cover the $70M price tag if he had wrecked it.

US military doesn't allow civilians to fly their planes (it's illegal actually), they're using a tandem-seat F/A-18F.

Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet - Wikipedia

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
US military doesn't allow civilians to fly their planes (it's illegal actually), they're using a tandem-seat F/A-18F.

Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet - Wikipedia

I suspected as much when it came to their own in-service planes, but there are F/A-18s that have been sold all over the world that are not the US military's any more. I figured that Tom could fly one of those if he wanted to. Maybe, as a matter of national security, they can stipulate as part of the purchase agreement that non-civilians in other countries can't fly them. Who knows. Regardless, you're probably right and they're just using tandem-seaters. I had forgotten that the F/A-18 offered such a configuration.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I suspected as much when it came to their own in-service planes, but there are F/A-18s that have been sold all over the world that are not the US military's any more. I figured that Tom could fly one of those if he wanted to. Maybe, as a matter of national security, they can stipulate as part of the purchase agreement that non-civilians in other countries can't fly them. Who knows. Regardless, you're probably right and they're just using tandem-seaters. I had forgotten that the F/A-18 offered such a configuration.

Yeah that's why I was only half joking when I brought that up. Like I think Tom Cruise would try to fly a fighter jet for the movie, that those cockpit shots you see in the trailer are not blue screen but real, but I'm not sure how you'd go about getting a civilian into one. Not to mention from my understanding isn't flying a fighter jet really demanding on the body in the same way being a pro athlete is, where you basically have to drop out at some point in your 30's?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Off the top of my head, the movies currently out that I would consider original - Stuber, Crawl, Yesterday.
And how well have they faired?

My preliminary guess is that it will revolve around drones replacing human pilots.
I think that drones will be part of the story line as well. Unless they go all "Hollywood" and come up with more fictional planes to shoot down there has hardly been any air to air combat of the 21st century to go off of. Hell the TOPGUN school phased out a lot of what they taught when the original movie came out because ground attack missions became so prevalent.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00