Value of: Top 4 D Man from Calgary

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
This is not true, since Brodie got hurt Stone has played his off side with Hamonic. It doesn't matter anyhow as GG won't be the coach next year.

First time he's done it as the Flames HC, he probably didn't want to call up Valimaki because he sees that he's not fully ready for a top 4 role, plus the first game Kulak-Andersson played together they looked pretty good so maybe he wanted to see them together.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I would love to sell Gio right now for the right offer. He probably is at his highest value right now and can see his value declining after this season.

Deal both Gio and Brodie. Promote Anderson to NHL.

Top 4:
Hamilton
Hamonic
Kulak
Anderson

Bottom Pair + 7th:
Stone/Kylington
x

Involve the young guys with more minutes. Hamilton I really think has another gear in him. Hamonic has been much better second half of the season this year and I think he can be a pivotal piece.

With that said, use Brodie, Gio, Frolik, Bennett (not a big fan of trading him) to get some serious help up front.

To the Flames fans that will rip into me for wanting to trade Gio:

I don't want to go through Iginla/J-Bou type of return again. Would rather trade when the value is high before decline.

Again.... that defense is a quite a big change and looks rough on paper, but clearly we don't score enough. I would be ok to downgrade our D for major help up front.

So trading not one but both of our top 4 lefties? And you want to up Kulak's minutes from 13-16 up to top four? (18+) and give Andersson a shot in the top four without a veteran mentor like Giordano? I don't see that happening, unless its Brodie and Hamonic/Stone being traded if Gio goes, the team will go down in the standings

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
So trading not one but both of our top 4 lefties? And you want to up Kulak's minutes from 13-16 up to top four? (18+) and give Andersson a shot in the top four without a veteran mentor like Giordano? I don't see that happening, unless its Brodie and Hamonic/Stone being traded if Gio goes, the team will go down in the standings
Brodie and Stone would obvioulsy be more realistic but knowing our brass... we will not make any changes this offseason aside from new coach, sign an old free agent top bandaid our forward scoring depth and thats about it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
How has Burakovsky been the last couple seasons? I don't watch much Caps games :)

Streaky.

He goes through stretches where he looks like a superstar and then completely disappears for a while.

He's really struggling now, and could really use different head coach than Barry Trotz.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
@Gaudfather....^I think pretty much every team does this . After all there are only so many GM jobs available and if you go bold and fail, that GM job is as good as gone o_O

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Streaky.

He goes through stretches where he looks like a superstar and then completely disappears for a while.

He's really struggling now, and could really use different head coach than Barry Trotz.

He kinda reminds me of Brodie ;) so I'm on the bubble of this, thanks for proposing a good offer unlike Leafs fans :)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Brodie and Stone would obvioulsy be more realistic but knowing our brass... we will not make any changes this offseason aside from new coach, sign an old free agent top bandaid our forward scoring depth and thats about it.

I honestly think one or both of them (Brodie/Stone) gets moved to bring in a right shooting forward and a 1st with other pieces too.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
First time he's done it as the Flames HC, he probably didn't want to call up Valimaki because he sees that he's not fully ready for a top 4 role, plus the first game Kulak-Andersson played together they looked pretty good so maybe he wanted to see them together.

They can't call up Valimaki as he is still playing in the WHL and we are not close to an emergency situation for defensive injuries.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
They can't call up Valimaki as he is still playing in the WHL and we are not close to an emergency situation for defensive injuries.

You think i don't know that? I'm just saying I don't think Kylington is ready for a top 4 role and every Flames fan I know sees him making the jump next year (Valimaki) which I don't see, I think Kylington could be a bottom pairing next year and Valimaki top four in the A next season

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You think i don't know that? I'm just saying I don't think Kylington is ready for a top 4 role and every Flames fan I know sees him making the jump next year (Valimaki) which I don't see, I think Kylington could be a bottom pairing next year and Valimaki top four in the A next season

I don't if you know that or not. I have seen other posters suggest bringing up junior guys and either forget they were in junior or not know the rule.

I mean you were mentioning bringing up Valimaki in relation to the pairings of the last game so I am not sure why I would be expected to not think you were suggesting bringing him up for that game.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I don't if you know that or not. I have seen other posters suggest bringing up junior guys and either forget they were in junior or not know the rule.

I mean you were mentioning bringing up Valimaki in relation to the pairings of the last game so I am not sure why I would be expected to not think you were suggesting bringing him up for that game.

Is his team in the playoffs? I thought once a team is eliminated from the post season, the team can bring him up but during that season he'd have to stay in the NHL? Can't be sent down to the AHL until the following season?

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
What's the asking price on Adam Fox?

The Canucks need a rhd prospect, (esp. if they don't select one in this year's draft), and seem to have an influx of young RWers which looks like an area of need for the Flames.
Is any combination of Nikolay Goldobin (who made a promising stride in the last quarter of the season), Kole Lind (6th in WHL ppg), Lukas Jasek (who has recently done surprisingly well in his short stint in the AHL), and/or Will Lockwood (a hardnosed/fiesty player that teams get annoyed w/) of interest?

May even be willing to take on an unappealing contract like Troy Brouwer/Michael Stone along w/ Adam Fox, for a less unpleasant contract like Brandon Sutter/Sam Gagner + one of the above.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What's the asking price on Adam Fox?

Probably higher than you'd think, very rare for a defenceman to be putting up PPG numbers in the NCAA. Value might come down as he approaches his free agent eligibility without an ELC. Personally very high on him, and hope he plays for the Flames.

Goldobin I like and might get your foot in the door, but if Fox is being moved it's probably as part of a package for a more established young scorer.

As for the thread, Stone would be the most likely defender to be getting traded, probably for a pick or a promising young bottom 6 forward. Brodie I really have no idea what his value around the league is, this is a very capable player who is still on the right side of 30 pts in a down year and the right side of 30 years old with some years left on his contract. The only way Treliving should be moving him is for a sniper for the PP or a fast young RWer that has at least one season 40pts or higher.. If he gets moved for a middling 1st and some spare parts I'll be very disappointed.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Probably higher than you'd think, very rare for a defenceman to be putting up PPG numbers in the NCAA. Value might come down as he approaches his free agent eligibility without an ELC. Personally very high on him, and hope he plays for the Flames.

Goldobin I like and might get your foot in the door, but if Fox is being moved it's probably as part of a package for a more established young scorer.

As for the thread, Stone would be the most likely defender to be getting traded, probably for a pick or a promising young bottom 6 forward. Brodie I really have no idea what his value around the league is, this is a very capable player who is still on the right side of 30 pts in a down year and the right side of 30 years old with some years left on his contract. The only way Treliving should be moving him is for a sniper for the PP or a fast young RWer that has at least one season 40pts or higher.. If he gets moved for a middling 1st and some spare parts I'll be very disappointed.
i agree, Calgary has a very solid top 4, why tinker with that just because some young forwards didnt step up as expected? its much smarter to wait until one of kylington or fox step up and prove themselves in the number 5 role. its not like Janks or Bennett totally failed, they just need a bit more time.

you dont make the big move to solidify the defense and then just because it doesnt work in year one, tear things up thats silly and inefficient

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
With Calgary having some pretty good d prospects in the system it has been brought up that they should explore upgrading our offence by trading one of their top 4 d men. Giordano, Hamonic, Brodie, and Hamilton. If you had your choice of the 4, which guy fits your teams needs, and what is a realistic offer from your team for them? Will consider any move that can help the Flames moving forward including high draft picks. No need to get into a flame war here, let's just see what the common value's for these 4 players is around this site.

Would the flames be intrested in Namestikov

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Would someone like Fast suit you?

Hmm Fast is actually an enticing piece, but his production still isn't worth any top 4 Dman 1on1. Fast in package for Brodie or Hamonic would actually get me interested though. But Fast would have to be complimentary in a package for Giordano or Hamilton lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad