Value of: Top 4 D Man from Calgary

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It's not that simple. They have bigger issue
see heres the thing, obviously treliving felt that solidifying the top 4 was very important or he wouldnt heave paid the price he did for Hamonic. by doing that he showed what he felt was his preference. a solid defense in his mind is essential to the success of the team, by trading one and getting less than he sacrificed, it is a big step back on the development scale unless he thinks one of the kids is absolutely ready to be a top 4... and I dont believe he thinks that one of kylington Vallimaki or fox is there yet. look at it from his point of view.

he does that and he's directly saying "I failed" and I cant see him admitting that

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Probably unpopular opinion, but I think they should trade Gio. I don't think they're one trade away from being a contender, so why not move a guy that has good value now, but probably won't be as good when they are ready to be legit?

I'm looking at a team like Winnipeg who is strong on the RH side on D but could stand to strengthen the left side, and has one of the strongest prospect pools going.

Not going to take a guess at what that trade looks like, just think they'd be ideal partners.

Reactions: MC2D

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Probably unpopular opinion, but I think they should trade Gio. I don't think they're one trade away from being a contender, so why not move a guy that has good value now, but probably won't be as good when they are ready to be legit?

I'm looking at a team like Winnipeg who is strong on the RH side on D but could stand to strengthen the left side, and has one of the strongest prospect pools going.

Not going to take a guess at what that trade looks like, just think they'd be ideal partners.

Who is going to pay what we would ask though? I admit he would be a huge add for Toronto, Pittsburgh or Winnipeg.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who is going to pay what we would ask though? I admit he would be a huge add for Toronto, Pittsburgh or Winnipeg.

RE: Giordano

Can he play the right side?
He turns 35 in Ocober and his contract takes him to 39
His AVG is 6.75M, would Calgary retain on him?

What is the price for him? 1st+??

Contract is a concern due to his age now and later.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would talk about Roslovic + Morrissey + Brenden Lemieux for Gio lol. We would probably be much worse off for it though.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
It's not that simple. They have bigger issue

Why do you say this? Calgary really needs to get a rhs who can skate or a rhs who can create space for the top line and then Ferland gets bumped to the 3rd line to create more scoring? Bennett is a decent playmaker and so is Jankowski* they need a shooter like Ferland, but he creates space on the top line and can finish Johnny's sick playmaking abilities

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

So you're suggesting this...
Calgary trades Giordano a top pairing defender (imo and a lot of Flames fans he's undoubtedly a #1, but i can't say anything from other fans and hockey insiders, but hes in Norris trophy races for the last 3 years? and this year, so im sure he's noticed as a #1 by a lot of hockey geniuses out there,)
He can play defense, has an excellent first pass, can score and create plays, takes on top competition, he can play both sides but he's better on the left, and then let's go to left depth at defense without him....
Brodie (top pair)
Kulak (2nd pair unless Valimaki crushes at training camp)
Valimaki (the closest LD ready, 3rd pair)
Kylington (im pretty sure is the other leftie?)

But we have Hamilton, Hamonic, Stone, Bart(puke), Andersson, Fox as righties (I'm only going with top 2 prospects for each side or kids i see hitting the nhl).
You honestly think Calgary should trade their best defensive defender?(imo hes better than Hamonic at defense but it's probably close) leave ourselves with no left d depth? Stone undoubtedly makes the most sense or Brodie if BT wants a shake up, I don't think he'd entertain the idea of losing a Hamonic trade by giving him away for less than what he paid (and im talking about an unprotected 1st)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Let's just say this, I'm completely certain Stone or Brodie get traded, Gio and Hamilton are untouchable until the Flames know they aren't winning in Gio's contract(up until he's 39, but he has less mileage than most 34 year olds) we also have an internal cap where no one gets more than Gio/Johnny, so I don't see them moving either or

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why do you say this? Calgary really needs to get a rhs who can skate or a rhs who can create space for the top line and then Ferland gets bumped to the 3rd line to create more scoring? Bennett is a decent playmaker and so is Jankowski* they need a shooter like Ferland, but he creates space on the top line and can finish Johnny's sick playmaking abilities

You think the Flames problem can be fixed by just adding one inconsistent soft RW?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
You think the Flames problem can be fixed by just adding one inconsistent soft RW?

I'm not saying Grabner is the one I'd go after, im just saying that's Calgary's missing piece for the team and powerplay, if we had a decent rhs forward, our power play would be better, our lineup would look and play better, that's also if Rittich/Gillies is a key in net, if not we'll also need a goalie, you add a pplayer like Bryan* Little to our team and we're at least a playoff team, could create major matchups, Grabner and Nash are candidates during the fa season, Neal and Bozak etc... add in Mrazek for a goalie who can be cheap and hopefully perform with our defense

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
It's gonna be Brodie, even though he is probably going to be sold at a discount. Giordano is the heart and soul of the Flames and won't be moved. Hamilton is too good offensively to be moved. Hamonic wouldn't return close to what they gave up to get him last summer, so he won't be moved. It's going to be Brodie.

Agree with this. Gio has been Norris quality for the past 3-4 years. Hamilton provides the offence.

Hamonic has been 3rd paring quality for 3 years now. His struggles this year are consistent with his recent past. He is not overpaid by much but he is a 3rd pairing guy on a good team (similar to Russel).

Brodie has been a bit of a trainwreck since he got moved to the left side. His best year was 3 years ago when he played RD with Gio. I do not know if he can return to that level because his success might have been the result of playing with a Norris nominated partner. A new coach might put him on the right side and see what he has before making a decision on him. Problem is that the Flames do not have a 2nd pairing left dman to try this out.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
You can just replace him with top-4 defenceman stone :D and have two m. stones on the mean

Hamilton is a top pairing defenseman not top court, no one except maybe Brodie could replace that on the top pair, Hamilton and Giordano are both Norris calibre, I read it on tsn app like a week ago, Giordano is in the top 5 fix, while Hamilton is in the mix also but not top 5. Good luck getting either of the duo

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I would love to sell Gio right now for the right offer. He probably is at his highest value right now and can see his value declining after this season.

Deal both Gio and Brodie. Promote Anderson to NHL.

Top 4:
Hamilton
Hamonic
Kulak
Anderson

Bottom Pair + 7th:
Stone/Kylington
x

Involve the young guys with more minutes. Hamilton I really think has another gear in him. Hamonic has been much better second half of the season this year and I think he can be a pivotal piece.

With that said, use Brodie, Gio, Frolik, Bennett (not a big fan of trading him) to get some serious help up front.

To the Flames fans that will rip into me for wanting to trade Gio:

I don't want to go through Iginla/J-Bou type of return again. Would rather trade when the value is high before decline.

Again.... that defense is a quite a big change and looks rough on paper, but clearly we don't score enough. I would be ok to downgrade our D for major help up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: MonahanFan

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Glen doesn't play d on their offside so that's where Kulak or Valimaki gets thrown into a top 4 role, he should have Brodie on the right if he wanted to make a smart coaching decision, Hamonic-Brodie instead of Brodie-Hamonic would be a better set up, I'd much prefer him just moving a rightie to bring up Andersson
This is not true, since Brodie got hurt Stone has played his off side with Hamonic. It doesn't matter anyhow as GG won't be the coach next year.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Please stop lol. I would love to get a good deal for Guirdano but no way is he worth that.
I disagree entirely. That's not a lot coming back to us for a 1 D, top 10 quality in the league. Roslovic and Lemieux are both 2nd round picks who have produced alright in the minors (so has poirier before!) and Morrisey is good but not close to Gio's level. If anything we're getting the short end of that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad