Value of: Top 3 destinations for Pietrangelo?

[VOTE 3] What do you think are the most likely 3 destinations for Pie?

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
2 games? For 2 games they didn’t get any secondary scoring and you think they need to upgrade their offense because of that? God help Tampa if they only score 1 goal tonight or else they’ll need to upgrade their offense I guess.

What’s funny is that Colorado actually scored more goals than any other team in round 2 as well. At the end of round 2 Kadri was leading the entire playoffs in goals scored and Burakovsky was 9th. In fact. Burakovsky actually lead the entire NHL in points during the second round alone. They score goals at will. It’s lunacy to suggest they need to upgrade their offense.

I don’t see the why it shouldn’t be viewed as a potential problem. There’s no need to stick your head in the sand about the nuances that are specific to the playoffs.

Yes a million things had to go against the Avs for Dallas to win that series. Injuries is at the top of the list. But there’s also the flopping. The tendency of refs to bogusly even out calls. But then there’s also the heavy game that they played, which most of the team wasn’t ready for.

I can freely admit that it’s easy to overreact to what happened before except there are a lot of teams that play like Dallas in the playoffs. And if other teams see our inability to handle it as a weakness, they’ll continue to try to exploit it.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Any shot AP takes a 1 yr/11 mil deal and then goes back on the market next off-season?

Seems like the market will be lower during Covid.

There are 2 "elements" of contract that COVID has really impacted: Cap Management, and Cash Management.

From a Cash Perspective, very few teams want to spend any this year.... that being said, escrow is also 20% this year and 14-18% next year. Players who are looking at multi-year deals really don't want any of that money up front anyways. They want it in year 3 and beyond so that it's escrowed at a lower rate.

Yes, you need some cash this year due to restrictions in contract variability from year-to-year, but forking out $6m+ in cash for AP this year isn't something that many teams are going to balk at. It's the guys who were only looking at a short term deal that are going to be absolutely squeezed this year.

From a Cap Perpsective, the flat cap is here to stay for at least next year, and likely the year after that. The market pressures on that flat cap are not going away -- every year young guys on ELCs or bridge deals expire looking for raises, and every year there is not enough expiring veterans. Nothing is going to change for AP's marketability next offseason.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I'd be shocked if he ends up anywhere other than St. Louis. He'll poke around, but he'll want to win just as much as making money. If not, I'm sure we'll collectively hear the sighs of pleasure from Torontoland. That being said, I feel like Winnipeg would take some huge leaps forward (for at least two or three years) with Petro there. I just don't see him being taken seriously asking for more money than Josi did.

New Jersey is someone else I could see maybe shooting for the moon. I don't know their cap situation, and they may have to shuffle some money around, but man that would push them up in terms of backend skill. I just don't see him going there unless the money was obscene.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Been seeing rumors on here that Erik Johnson would probably be traded if Avs signed AP, makes sense since he only has an 11? Team NMC. Avs realistically cant be paying AP 9m then makar 8m and EJ 6m all the right side of defense. Sakic is crafty if he can and wants to sign AP he will make it work, cap crunch wouldnt be severe until Mackinnon needs a new contact in 3 years. Landy's raise next year wont be significant and hes been on the record stating money isn't everything and would take less to win. Also a bridge deal for Makar is an option

What if EJ says no? That'd be a slap in the face to him imo.
Soon as you guy contend, after the down years he endured there, he is asked to waive to go somewhere else and hope to chase a cup there. Thanks for your last decade here but you can leave now.

We shall see if Sakic can work some magic but think COL fans are envisioning best case scenario here.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t see the why it shouldn’t be viewed as a potential problem. There’s no need to stick your head in the sand about the nuances that are specific to the playoffs.

Yes a million things had to go against the Avs for Dallas to win that series. Injuries is at the top of the list. But there’s also the flopping. The tendency of refs to bogusly even out calls. But then there’s also the heavy game that they played, which most of the team wasn’t ready for.

I can freely admit that it’s easy to overreact to what happened before except there are a lot of teams that play like Dallas in the playoffs. And if other teams see our inability to handle it as a weakness, they’ll continue to try to exploit it.
Of course there’s weaknesses. No teams are perfect. I’m just explaining that scoring goals/offense isn’t one of them. Colorado were the best offensive team in the playoffs from a goals/game perspective. They also scored the most goals in round 2.

I’m simply saying that when a team averages over 4 goals a game in round 2 of the playoffs and still loses, bettering their offense probably shouldn’t be a priority over other things.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
What if EJ says no? That'd be a slap in the face to him imo.
Soon as you guy contend, after the down years he endured there, he is asked to waive to go somewhere else and hope to chase a cup there. Thanks for your last decade here but you can leave now.

We shall see if Sakic can work some magic but think COL fans are envisioning best case scenario here.
I agree He, but EJ can only say no to a few teams its not a full NMC

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If Pietrangelo only cares about money this is the answer.
Winnipeg doesn't do signing bonuses. I don't think they'll even attempt to sign him given what he'll be asking for (particularly for term and bonuses).

If he only cares about money, he'll go to Toronto. And we'll all watch in amusement as a team with $50M tied up in 5 players tries to remain competitive. I'd be okay with that.

I think he stays in St Louis though.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Of course there’s weaknesses. No teams are perfect. I’m just explaining that scoring goals/offense isn’t one of them. Colorado were the best offensive team in the playoffs from a goals/game perspective. They also scored the most goals in round 2.

I’m simply saying that when a team averages over 4 goals a game in round 2 of the playoffs and still loses, bettering their offense probably shouldn’t be a priority over other things.

And I’m just explaining that if we had a any contribution from lines 2-4 in the first 3 games, we win the series. You can point to injuries and that’s also true. But blaming injuries doesn’t exclude other reasons.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And I’m just explaining that if we had a any contribution from lines 2-4 in the first 3 games, we win the series. You can point to injuries and that’s also true. But blaming injuries doesn’t exclude other reasons.
And if Nathan Mackinnon manages to get on the score sheet in game 7 the Avs win the series.

See how dumb that looks?

Avs got plenty of secondary scoring in round 2 and these playoffs in general.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
And if Nathan Mackinnon manages to get on the score sheet in game 7 the Avs win the series.

See how dumb that looks?

I see how dumb your reply looks, yes. It’s absurd.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

See how dumb that looks?

Yeah I’m not sure how someone could equate scoring 4 goals a game in round 2 to “we need more scoring”.

how bout we make more efforts to bringing down the amount of goals necessary to win?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see how dumb your reply looks, yes. It’s absurd.
Well I mean you’re blaming lack of scoring for the Avs playoff loss despite them scoring more than literally every other team.

My Mackinnon post is clearly not a belief of mine. Just some perspective to show how dumb blaming a lack of scoring for 2 whole games is.

Reactions: EdAVSfan

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
How exactly would the Leafs sign Pietrangelo? They are already pretty close to the cap and still need to add a few more bodies to the roster. Once they add Pietrangelo's 8 to 10 million on top of that they are literally forced to offload a lot of cap space and the rest of NHL GM's aren't waiting in the wings to help them out. Like if the best offer they get is a 3rd round pick for Marner they have to take that or they get disqualified for the season.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
How exactly would the Leafs sign Pietrangelo? They are already pretty close to the cap and still need to add a few more bodies to the roster. Once they add Pietrangelo's 8 to 10 million on top of that they are literally forced to offload a lot of cap space and the rest of NHL GM's aren't waiting in the wings to help them out. Like if the best offer they get is a 3rd round pick for Marner they have to take that or they get disqualified for the season.

I don't think anyone is there to "help" them, but there would be significant interest in Nylander, Marner and Andersen and decent interest in Kerfoot and Johnsson.

People always look at it as help, and I don't think that's really how it is. It's an open market, GMs aren't going to band together to screw a team if it means bypassing adding a player their organization likes.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

GMs are out there to help themselves -- they look for opportunities where both GMs benefit from a deal.

Kerfoot & Johnsson are the easy cap-targets. Together they represent $6.9m in cap hit, but only $5.3m in remaining financial commitment. Johnsson fell down the lineup last year as a result of Ilya Mikheyev, and The Leafs likely feel that they can replace Johnsson's contribution with Nick Robertson, Alexander Barbanov, or maybe a UFA to play for league minimum. Kerfoot will be more difficult to replace, but they do also have Evan Rodrigues, plus Jason Spezza who seems likely to return.

Then of course you have Nylander, who has $21.5m in remaining financial commitments ($5.4m/season). You could look at a team like Anaheim, who would undoubtedly make a Rakell+ for Nylander deal, buying the Leafs 2 years of cap relief; while giving the Ducks a building-block type player as they look to reboot.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think St. Louis is the favourite, then Toronto.

He probably hits free agency, takes the terms the Leafs are offering and gives St. Louis the opportunity to match.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You’re right. The Avs can’t easily offer him a longer deal without it potentially causing problems down the road.

Keep in mind that if Pietrangelo goes to Toronto, it helps the Avs because it weakens St Louis. He’d be out of the west.

I think the Avs should be involved long enough to drive up the price for Toronto and then step away.

It’s bold to even think he would entertain Colorado.

He wants STL, then TML. Not Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad