Value of: Top 3 destinations for Pietrangelo?

[VOTE 3] What do you think are the most likely 3 destinations for Pie?

• Total voters

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Most likely St. Louis IMO (8x8)

If AAV is priority than I can see Boston/Colorado (9.5x7)

If signing bonus and salary structure are priority + lifestyle/familiarity than Toronto (7.5-8 x7)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Colorado would be the best fit, Boston was rumored to be interested in OEL can't see how they don't go after Peitrangelo instead .
Toronto because there's this air around it that he'll alone solve their issues

No there isn't.

There is an air around it that he's a #1RD, a player that apparently Toronto hasn't had for almost a decade or more. It's a need. No one thinks he'll solve all Toronto's issues.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
St.Louis
Toronto
Colorado

In that order.

I don't think he'll pull a Stamkos.

He's going to listen to everyone, take the best offer, and then bring it back to St.Louis. I don't expect him to just give up and sign whatever they offered him last.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
No there isn't.

There is an air around it that he's a #1RD, a player that apparently Toronto hasn't had for almost a decade or more. It's a need. No one thinks he'll solve all Toronto's issues.

With the compressed schedule, next year could place great importance on having a strong third pairing so that teams can save wear and tear on their top guys by spreading around minutes. It would be a little ironic that Toronto finally gets a caliber of D like this at a time where depth might have greater importance.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
If Pietrangelo only cares about money this is the answer.

Money and winning! Don't forget in the year the Blues won the cup the Jets blew 2 third period leads against them in that 6 game series. If they closed those 2 games out the Jets move on... woulda, coulda, shoulda. Pietrangelo was there... he knows.

The Jets have the capspace and the need. Winnipeg is also a great place to raise a family. St. Louis, Toronto and Vegas don't have the capspace and Colorado doesn't have the need. I don't think that Boston has the need either with McAvoy and Carlo already and they may not have the cap if they go long term with DeBrusk.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Ledge And Dairy

Colorado and Philly seem out if the question due to expansion draft. Toronto and Vegas have to make absurd trades for it to happen so I find those options doubtful. You can probably count out all the tanking teams as well as any team set on RD like Boston, Montreal, and Carolina you can also count out any team implementing an internal cap.

My gut says he resigns with the Blues but that's a boring answer. So my top 3 will be the remaining teams who can afford him, have a need for him and can protect him in expansion
1. Winnipeg - Obviously need defense and an eventual top 4 of JoMo, Piet, Pionk, and Heinola sounds sick. They have the cap and the room expansion slot.
2. Vancouver - With rumors of Marky walking they could spend their cap space on just Piet and Toffoli instead of Tanev. Still probably 1 contract needs to be moved out but thece been reported to be pretty active already. Edler is a UFA next year so outside of Myers i have no idea who they would protect on defense.
3. Calgary - Flames have 5 UFA defense this summer, 3 RD. However they have some prospects pushing for roster spots so they only really need to fill 1 top 4RD spot. They have the cap space to go after 1 big/bigger name this summer and with Valimaki now being expansion exempt, as well as Gio likely being exposed there is a lot of logic to persue a top end defender.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
With the compressed schedule, next year could place great importance on having a strong third pairing so that teams can save wear and tear on their top guys by spreading around minutes. It would be a little ironic that Toronto finally gets a caliber of D like this at a time where depth might have greater importance.

Honestly I don't think depth is an issue for them. If they add Pietrangelo they're probably looking at this:
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Lehtonen/Liljegren

Dermott could very well be gone, but one or two of Lehtonen, Sandin and Liljegren could wind up making a pretty big impact. This is assuming there's no trade for another D either.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
How does COL make it work long term?
They gotta re-sign Makar and MacK soon no?
They letting Landy and Kadri both walk?

They have Newhook so I would bet Kadri is gone for sure. Landeskog they would find a way to make work but I think the idea is EJ is being shipped out if Pietrangelo is coming in. Now, if they manage to get Pietrangelo AND Hall it might get a little messier down the road lol

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Blues for sure in the mix but why not the Pens? It may actually be easier for them to get him than the leafs. Avs seem like they could get him in. Some big contracts to hand out the following two seasons but also some flexibility.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Well the options are try to lock up Pietrangelo if he hits UFA, or improve depth via overpaid UFAs that fill the #4-7 slots. I'd rather try to snag the big fish.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Ledge And Dairy

EJ doesn’t have to waive anything. He has a list of 11 teams he can’t be traded to. That leaves 19 open for business. Custance has already said teams believe Sakic might move him. Although I don’t think there’s any chance they move him unless they’re certain they’re landing Pietrangelo.
A modified NTC doesnt negate the fact that he has a NMC. Regardless, even if he waives they still have to protect Graves, Makar, and Girard.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think St. Louis will find a way to re-sign him. The fact that Alex has come out and publicly voiced his dissatisfaction with contract talks tells me it's a tactic to put increased pressure on the Blues to get him to stay.

Toronto would be the second option but they're shooting themselves in the foot and depleting any depth they've built in doing so as one of Nylander and Marner would absolutely have to be moved along with Johnsson or Kerfoot (there goes the depth). I still don't think we're a Pieterangelo away from winning and signing him would be a last shot in the dark to winning.

If teams like Tampa, Dallas, Vegas have shown anything, it's that depth matters. You need deep rosters to win.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How does COL make it work long term?
They gotta re-sign Makar and MacK soon no?
They letting Landy and Kadri both walk?
Mackinnon still has 3 years left.
Kadri is likely let go assuming Newhook is ready or on the cusp.
Landeskog and Makar get re-signed without issue.
One of Graves/Zadorov will be traded this summer. The other is almost certainly the expansion draft selection in a year.

The big factor with Pietrangelo is the cost to move EJ. That’s obviously the play if that happens but they likely have to add something good to him to get somebody to take on his contract next year since he’ll have 2 years left at 6M. He’s worth it right now, but money will be even tighter around the league a year from now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A modified NTC doesnt negate the fact that he has a NMC. Regardless, even if he waives they still have to protect Graves, Makar, and Girard.
They aren’t going to protect Graves over Pietrangelo in this hypothetical situation lol. They’ll just simply lose Graves/Zadorov. That isn’t a big deal. Every team loses a good player.

Ledge And Dairy

Blues for sure in the mix but why not the Pens? It may actually be easier for them to get him than the leafs. Avs seem like they could get him in. Some big contracts to hand out the following two seasons but also some flexibility.
Supposed internal cap is a major reason, they probably also dont want to keep playing Marino on the 3rd pair either. They also have 5 RFAs with 2 of them being Jarry and Murray, all this with only 6M cap space.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They have Newhook so I would bet Kadri is gone for sure. Landeskog they would find a way to make work but I think the idea is EJ is being shipped out if Pietrangelo is coming in. Now, if they manage to get Pietrangelo AND Hall it might get a little messier down the road lol

Mack is getting $11-12 million imo, even after him saying he would help the team out. He should get paid as a top 5 player in the league.
Makar is likely getting something similar to Chabot ($8 mil)
Girard at $5 mil
Ranty at $9.25 mil
AP at $8.5 at minimum

That comes in around $42-43 million there, adding Landy would be around $50 million for 6 players.
Then Newhook and Byram need bridge/5-6 year deals in 3 years when MacK is due.
They better hope the cap goes up $4-5 million from 2023-24.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad