Top 1995 Prospects (2013 NHL Draft)

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
I've heard people say there is a potential norwegian 1st round pick, that would be the first time this has happend. Hard to say at this point imo, but this guy is so talented.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=73397&lang=swe

Markus Søberg is in my opinion the most talented Norwegian hockey-player ever. His skating is mindblowing and he plays very physical hockey. He can score goals and creates offense on his own. Should work on his stickhandling and get some more muscles but that will come with age. He reminds me a lot of Mikael Bødker at the same age.

He will play for Frolunda J20 next year. He will also be playing for Team Norway at the Under 18`s in Germany this year.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Curtis Lazar, he's from same city as me and set Canada Winter Games records, scored more in that tournament than Crosby

Not to take anything away from Lazar, he is an unbelievable player and had an excellent tournament, but Crosby was an underager on a far inferior team, so not exactly a fair comparison. Also, what records did lazar break? I know it wasnt the scoring record because Lazar had 17 points and Kelsey Tessier had 27 in 2007.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I am interested in this age group and want to see the how this draft class develops. Mostly because I haven't had a chance to start veiwing a draft class before junior as well as I have viewed this draft class. With a combination of the Winter Games, and taking in Ontario minor midget. So, I want to see what kind the list of players, we can make up for potienal propsects in the top 3 rounds of the 2013 NHL draft.

Here are some of the prospects, I have either watched, read about or talked about. (I have a big Ontario bias, as i haven't watched 1995 hockey outside of Ontario and the Winter Games.)

No particular order:

Nathan MacKinnon - consensus number 1 right now?
Alex Forsberg - made lots of noise last year, haven't heard much lately
Max Domi - very good player, possibly Ontario's best forward.
Darnell Nurse - Domi's teammate, THN compared to Pronger, not sure about that.
Morgan Klimchuk - haven't heard about him before THN's FW11
Nick Baptiste - Very good forward, better then Domi? debatable.
Jordan Malleta - Powerforward from Ontario.
Nicholas Ritchie - Big winger, can score goals.
Steven Varga - Solid defenceman, probably later pick in draft.
Jordan Subban - similar to his brother, made news at winter games.
Steve Santini - american defenceman in ushl

I could go on and on but, this enough from me, i want to here different names

Its pretty early to talk this. I've seen most of the Ontario players. Domi could have size issues I suspect. He's as talented as any of that group, but will likely give up several inches and 30 pounds to the likes of Maletta and Baptiste, thats a lot ot make up if you are not really much faster than them.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I am interested in this age group and want to see the how this draft class develops. Mostly because I haven't had a chance to start veiwing a draft class before junior as well as I have viewed this draft class. With a combination of the Winter Games, and taking in Ontario minor midget. So, I want to see what kind the list of players, we can make up for potienal propsects in the top 3 rounds of the 2013 NHL draft.

Here are some of the prospects, I have either watched, read about or talked about. (I have a big Ontario bias, as i haven't watched 1995 hockey outside of Ontario and the Winter Games.)

No particular order:

Nathan MacKinnon - consensus number 1 right now?
Alex Forsberg - made lots of noise last year, haven't heard much lately
Max Domi - very good player, possibly Ontario's best forward.
Darnell Nurse - Domi's teammate, THN compared to Pronger, not sure about that.
Morgan Klimchuk - haven't heard about him before THN's FW11
Nick Baptiste - Very good forward, better then Domi? debatable.
Jordan Malleta - Powerforward from Ontario.
Nicholas Ritchie - Big winger, can score goals.
Steven Varga - Solid defenceman, probably later pick in draft.
Jordan Subban - similar to his brother, made news at winter games.
Steve Santini - american defenceman in ushl

I could go on and on but, this enough from me, i want to here different names

wow when you say you have an Ontario baised your are not kidding LOL...If you went Canada Games you should know Klimchuk?

here are names I think you will heard A LOT of:

Forwards:
Nathan Mackinnon
Curtis Lazar
Sean Monahan
Connor Rankin
Taylor Cammarata
Hunter Shinkaruk
Hudson Fasching
Brandon Shea
Adam Erne
Valery Nichushkin
Viktor Crus-Rydberg
Jonathan Drouin
Tobias Liljendahl
Nick Baptiset
Morgan Klimchuk
Ryan Hartman
Anthony Duclair
Alexander Barkov
Andreas Johnson
Jusso Ikonen
Martin Reway
Jeremy Gregoire
Nick Norensen
Torrin White
Tyler Motte
Johathon Merkley
Sergei Iljin
Gabe Guertler
Evan Allen
Greg Chase
Raphael Lafontaine
Bo Horvat
Brian Williams
Oliver Cooper
Sergie Tolchinsky
Tomas Torok

Defense:
Seth Jones
Madison Bowey
Josh Morrissey
Steve Santini
Eric Roy
Ryan Pulock
Rasmus Ristolainen
Will Butcher
Keegan Kanzig
Jared Hauf
Scott Savage
Jordan Subban
Darnell Nurse
Spenser Jensen
Mason Geertsen
Jesse Lees
Dillon Heathering

Goalies:
Alexandre Belanger
Ville Husso
Eric Comrie
Philippe Desrosiers
Zach Fucale

IMO Max Domi is not as good as people think, he is smaller, doesn't show up against skilled teams, he looks good wtih the puck but has trouble creating with it when pressured.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
IMO Max Domi is not as good as people think, he is smaller, doesn't show up against skilled teams, he looks good wtih the puck but has trouble creating with it when pressured.

Curious, outside of the Canada Games, where most of Ontario struggled, where did you see that he did not show up against the best?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Curious, outside of the Canada Games, where most of Ontario struggled, where did you see that he did not show up against the best?

I saw Don Mills a few times this year and while he was the best player out there for excitment I found his moves and style would have a hard time translating to OHL to be that star forward, I compare him to like a Brent Andrews from Halifax Mooseheads...great skater, excellent hands and exciting with the puck but his creation with offense is not where it should be when played on well, I saw him with Don Mills he looked ok there, the teams he played against were not the best and if I watched him in those games I would have though this guy is pretty good...i saw him in the OHL Showcase...the U16 camp...so I have a pretty good gage on him, looks good, brings puck down ice very well and makes you think high end and if given room on the ice he will burry the puck for sure he is a super hard accurate shot, BUT he has hard time opening up room for himself and that is a big issue at the next level, he might be able to fix that but the moves he does create with most will not work at the next level, im not saying he sucks im just saying he is not a legit NHL 1 or 2 rounder at the moment for his age group, think he is over hyped at the moment.

Nick Baptiste and Bo Horvat I both like, Baptist is going to be a great player in the OHL and Horvat is a very hard working and skilled forward who's game I think will translate well. Darnell Nurse has the potential to be a top 30 of his age group but he has to learn to use his body more and be more aggressive, just like when my friend who scouts with another QMJHL team was talking to Warren Rychel at the canada games, he said Nurse has all the tools but always leaves you wanting more and I agree you see the talent and he has so much more he doesnt use...but as for Domi he is very raw and will have to wait more into the future with him to get a better read on his game because he has to learn to create room for himself and not run into traffic areas without plan and get caught up without options.

Last edited:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I saw Don Mills a few times this year and while he was the best player out there for excitment I found his moves and style would have a hard time translating to OHL to be that star forward, I compare him to like a Brent Andrews from Halifax Mooseheads...great skater, excellent hands and exciting with the puck but his creation with offense is not where it should be when played on well,

This is great and all, but you've failed to answer his question (and a question I've asked you before). Outside of a few games at the Canada Games where he struggled (even though he played well against BC in the Round Robin), when has Domi struggled against skilled teams? I'm just looking for an example, against a team, or tournament etc.

I saw him with Don Mills he looked ok there, the teams he played against were not the best

You mean the GTHL? As in one of the best minor hockey leagues in Canada? Domi played and excelled against some of the best teams in Ontario, including the Toronto Marlboros and in many tournaments.

i saw him in the OHL Showcase...the U16 camp...so I have a pretty good gage on him

If you did see him at both events you would have seen that he completely dominated the U-16's (against the best in Ontario), leading the camp in points with 15 in 6 games, the next best player had 10 points. He also was strong at the OHL Cup, particularly in the Finals scoring a big goal.

Domi's a player who has rose to the occasion numerous times, which is why it's surprising that you always say the opposite. It's also tough to say he's overrated considering he's gotten many people tearing him down due to his last name.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
This is great and all, but you've failed to answer his question (and a question I've asked you before). Outside of a few games at the Canada Games where he struggled (even though he played well against BC in the Round Robin), when has Domi struggled against skilled teams? I'm just looking for an example, against a team, or tournament etc.

You mean the GTHL? As in one of the best minor hockey leagues in Canada? Domi played and excelled against some of the best teams in Ontario, including the Toronto Marlboros and in many tournaments.

If you did see him at both events you would have seen that he completely dominated the U-16's (against the best in Ontario), leading the camp in points with 15 in 6 games, the next best player had 10 points. He also was strong at the OHL Cup, particularly in the Finals scoring a big goal.

Domi's a player who has rose to the occasion numerous times, which is why it's surprising that you always say the opposite. It's also tough to say he's overrated considering he's gotten many people tearing him down due to his last name.

omg I told you already he did well BUT his game I do not see translating because he does not know how to open up the ice for himself and rushes into a situation without thinking ahead and giving himself options...I am not fighting with you...and for your top midget league in canada I find the 95 born ontario guys a weak group of players for ontario it happens geez everyone here thinks ontario guys are always going to be awsome but there will be a down year and this is it so if it is a down year domi will be playing against weaker compition all around the league I found the league weak this year with good 96s coming up though but Domi should be doing well against them anyway...as for don mills i saw them play the marlies...and for your take on things the ontario team played ok enough at the canada games to make the finals, it is crazy to attack someones decision enough when I saw the guy play about 11 games this year, that is enough even for my team to take my consideration on the player.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
Not to take anything away from Lazar, he is an unbelievable player and had an excellent tournament, but Crosby was an underager on a far inferior team, so not exactly a fair comparison. Also, what records did lazar break? I know it wasnt the scoring record because Lazar had 17 points and Kelsey Tessier had 27 in 2007.
He broke Stamkos's goal record with 12.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
My issue with the posts on Domi are that they are always attached to what Tie did as a player and his life off of the ice. I understand that people are not happy with Tie, and so be it, but don't translate that negative energy to his kid. Go talk to Tie about it, dont trash his kid.

Ive never seen a kid go through what he did this year in the rinks, and hear what some adults would yell at him. Its kinda sad when you think about it. You would think that adults would be more intelligent that that.

Thats why im always trying to stick up for him, because there are a lot of posters who have alterior motives on this site (excluding some obvious ones).

As far as your opinion more power to you. Your more then entitled to it. I don't share it, most scouts I know dont share it, but thats why everyone has their own right?

I thought he was absolutely dominant against the best players in Ontario at the U16 tournament in Kitchener. If thats not stepping up against top competition im not sure what is. He was also dominant at the OHL Cup.

I do agree that I don't know abut his NHL potential, but who knew about Mark Schefele's potential when he was the second best forward on an average Kitchener Jr Rangers team in his minor midget year. Its so hard to project these things.

Its a shame I didn't know you where at Kitchener, would have said hi.

Last edited:

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Is Max Domi going to Michigan or what? What OHL team has his rights? Never heard what path he decided to go...

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
My issue with the posts on Domi are that they are always attached to what Tie did as a player and his life off of the ice. I understand that people are not happy with Tie, and so be it, but don't translate that negative energy to his kid. Go talk to Tie about it, dont trash his kid.

Ive never seen a kid go through what he did this year in the rinks, and hear what some adults would yell at him. Its kinda sad when you think about it. You would think that adults would be more intelligent that that.

Thats why im always trying to stick up for him, because there are a lot of posters who have alterior motives on this site (excluding some obvious ones).

Did I miss a big part of this thread?

You'll have a lot of posting to do if you are going to defend all negative "ability" comments about Max, using the reasoning above.

HockeyBoy1963

Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Spencer Martin

Haven't seen his name pop up yet so I will mention him. Goaltender Spencer Martin was the first goalie selected in the recent OHL Draft. He was the best Minor Midget goalie in the GTHL in 2010-11. He will likely be the backup for Mississauga (OHL) in 2011-12 and if he continues to progress he should be their number one goalie in 2012-13. Pretty sure he has an early 1995 birthday so he is eligible for the 2013 NHL Draft.

playthetrap*

Is Max Domi going to Michigan or what? What OHL team has his rights? Never heard what path he decided to go...

Not much has been said since the OHL draft...Kingston Fronts drafted him, but there have been rumours that he will be traded to London in a couple months.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Did I miss a big part of this thread?

You'll have a lot of posting to do if you are going to defend all negative "ability" comments about Max, using the reasoning above.

Your not missing anything at all. As I mentioned most of it was in the rinks.

Look at the OHL draft thread in the CHL area as well, a few parents decided that HFBoards was their personal area to take a shots at a 15 year old. I think most where deleted by mods, kinda sad that we resort to this knida thing.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I am a QMJHL scout who has seen Domi enough to give my thought on him and so I guess it is what some scouts think...I know Rychle was saying even he thought this draft was a very weak year but his top picks were Domi and Ritchie for the draft, I did not like either and am a big fan of Bo Horvat and Nick Baptiste for the forwards. Im not basing anything rather than what I saw of him on the ice and my take.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I am a QMJHL scout who has seen Domi enough to give my thought on him and so I guess it is what some scouts think...I know Rychle was saying even he thought this draft was a very weak year but his top picks were Domi and Ritchie for the draft, I did not like either and am a big fan of Bo Horvat and Nick Baptiste for the forwards. Im not basing anything rather than what I saw of him on the ice and my take.

And nor am I saying your bashing, I actually said more power too you because the opinion is at least an informed and unbiased one.

The issue that I have with some parents/posters where in the OHL Draft thread, and in the rinks where for 15-20 minutes a game id hear adults hurl insults at a 15 year old kid.

Either way, time will tell. As I said these lists are nice to talk about, but there will be risers and fallers which no one can really `predict with a certainty at this point.

Im surprsied that you got to see Baptiste given his shoulder and hand injuries this year.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Yes, Patrik is 2014.
Best 1995 prospects from Slovakia are Tomas Torok, Martin Reway, Robert Varga and Matej Paulovic, 2013 eligible is late 1994 Marko Dano. There is also strong goalkeeper group of 1995 born kids - Okolicany, Godla, Halo, Gibl, Mikolas.

I think we can delete Reway from this list. He has a really tough personality. His off-ice attitude is awful.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The issue that I have with some parents/posters where in the OHL Draft thread, and in the rinks where for 15-20 minutes a game id hear adults hurl insults at a 15 year old kid.

15 year olds? I hear it far younger. When they start griping at 10 year olds its really far too much. I am very glad only my daughters play hockey, its generally much more civilized.

Im surprsied that you got to see Baptiste given his shoulder and hand injuries this year.

With these two you do not have to see much. I did not know who Horvat was the one time I saw him play, but within two shifts I was digging for a line up card wondering who he was. Baptiste I've seen for years and he is much the same. They command a presence when they are on the ice, the game changes when they step on the ice.

And for the record, I thought Domi looked like the most skilled MM this year. I fear his size will hold him back at the highest levels.

eastcoastselects3575

Sep 22, 2010
wow when you say you have an Ontario baised your are not kidding LOL...If you went Canada Games you should know Klimchuk?

here are names I think you will heard A LOT of:

Forwards:
Nathan Mackinnon
Curtis Lazar
Sean Monahan
Connor Rankin
Taylor Cammarata
Hunter Shinkaruk
Hudson Fasching
Brandon Shea
Adam Erne
Valery Nichushkin
Viktor Crus-Rydberg
Jonathan Drouin
Tobias Liljendahl
Nick Baptiset
Morgan Klimchuk
Ryan Hartman
Anthony Duclair
Alexander Barkov
Andreas Johnson
Jusso Ikonen
Martin Reway
Jeremy Gregoire
Nick Norensen
Torrin White
Tyler Motte
Johathon Merkley
Sergei Iljin
Gabe Guertler
Evan Allen
Greg Chase
Raphael Lafontaine
Bo Horvat
Brian Williams
Oliver Cooper
Sergie Tolchinsky
Tomas Torok

Defense:
Seth Jones
Madison Bowey
Josh Morrissey
Steve Santini
Eric Roy
Ryan Pulock
Rasmus Ristolainen
Will Butcher
Keegan Kanzig
Jared Hauf
Scott Savage
Jordan Subban
Darnell Nurse
Spenser Jensen
Mason Geertsen
Jesse Lees
Dillon Heathering

Goalies:
Alexandre Belanger
Ville Husso
Eric Comrie
Philippe Desrosiers
Zach Fucale

Some american goaltenders to look at in the draft:
Ian Jenkins would be number 1. RIP
Eric Vierkant- Culver Academy
Tyler Jansen- Cedarburg HS (WI) got news he was playing either in the NAHL or USHL next season
Brenden Burke- NTDP tryout invitee

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Some american goaltenders to look at in the draft:
Ian Jenkins would be number 1. RIP
Eric Vierkant- Culver Academy
Tyler Jansen- Cedarburg HS (WI) got news he was playing either in the NAHL or USHL next season
Brenden Burke- NTDP tryout invitee

Ive asked before but what about Vierkant makes him as good as the others listed.

Id have Devin Williams ahead of him. Vierkant is smaller and not nearly as polished as Williams, who also recieved a U17 invite.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
don't be suprised if Jack Palmer (WHL, Brandon) turns some heads. yes he was drafted in the 6th round, but I played with him for numerous years, he has some of the sweetest hands i've ever seen, along with a great shot. he is curently playing Midget AAA and has been called up to Jr.A a few times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad