Top 1995 Prospects (2013 NHL Draft)

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
How about Alex Smith, from the Detroit area. Good size D-man playing on the Midget Major Honeybaked team as an underager. I'm curious if he'll go the OHL route. I guess we'll see come the May Draft and subsequent season!

Was very impressed when I saw him play with the Honeybaked 95's at the Silver Stick last year. Looked to be a better version of the vaunted Darnell Nurse to me.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Some more 95s to watch for:

Quebec: 3 forwards to watch for

Anthony Duclair - going 2nd overall behind mackinnon in the q draft

Jonathan Drouin - probably going 3rd in the q draft

Jeremy gregoire - will be another high q pick

Alberta:

Keegan Kanzig - 6'5 D and skates like the wind, was taken in the 1st round of the whl bantam draft

Jared Hauf - Also a 6'5 D and an excellent skater - Im not 100% sure but I think he was 3rd overall in the whl draft.

JT morissey - excellent passing and skating D, listed at 6' but looks more like 5'10/11. Isnt scared to lay a big hit.

Eric Comrie- Mike's half brother and supposedly the best goaltender in the nation.

BC:

Sam Reinhart - Was BC's best forward not named Lazar at canada games imo over needham.

Nick Petan - Played a lot with lazar on bc's top line and didnt look out of place. Also racked up a lot of pts.

Ontario:

Everyone was talking about ritchie, Domi, and bastiste, but i think Bo Horvat had a better canada games than all of them. He was team ontario's top scorer and looked like the real deal. A fast skater with good hands which led to some nice goals. He also had some nice passes and seemed to have good vision. Not sure where hes projected to go for the ohl draft but it must be 1st round.

Skylimit

Oct 5, 2009
Some more 95s to watch for:

Quebec: 3 forwards to watch for

Anthony Duclair - going 2nd overall behind mackinnon in the q draft

Jonathan Drouin - probably going 3rd in the q draft
Jeremy gregoire - will be another high q pick

Alberta:

Keegan Kanzig - 6'5 D and skates like the wind, was taken in the 1st round of the whl bantam draft

Jared Hauf - Also a 6'5 D and an excellent skater - Im not 100% sure but I think he was 3rd overall in the whl draft.

JT morissey - excellent passing and skating D, listed at 6' but looks more like 5'10/11. Isnt scared to lay a big hit.

Eric Comrie- Mike's half brother and supposedly the best goaltender in the nation.

BC:

Sam Reinhart - Was BC's best forward not named Lazar at canada games imo over needham.

Nick Petan - Played a lot with lazar on bc's top line and didnt look out of place. Also racked up a lot of pts.

Ontario:

Everyone was talking about ritchie, Domi, and bastiste, but i think Bo Horvat had a better canada games than all of them. He was team ontario's top scorer and looked like the real deal. A fast skater with good hands which led to some nice goals. He also had some nice passes and seemed to have good vision. Not sure where hes projected to go for the ohl draft but it must be 1st round.

about skills yes but they go NCAA, forget it 2nd and 3rd overall choice in the draft...

same thing than Matheson last years.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some of the Americans to watch for at this stage:

F - Taylor Cammarata (Shattuck St. Mary's U16)
F - J.T. Compher (Team Illinois U16)
F - Adam Erne (Indiana Ice USHL)
F - Hudson Fasching (Apple Valley HS)
F - Gabe Guertler (Team Illinois U16)
F - John Hayden (Brunswick Prep)
F - Brandon Shea (Nobles Prep)
D - Will Butcher (Madison Capitals U18)
D - Seth Jones (NTDP U18)
D - Ian McCoshen (Waterloo Blackhawks USHL)
D - Charlie Pelnik (Carolina Jr. Hurricanes U16)
D - Steve Santini (Apple Core)
D - Scott Savage (LA Selects U16)
D - Keaton Thompson (Fargo Force USHL)

...are among some of the names that have received a fair amount of hype at this time. It's early though and some of these guys will stagnate, some will fall off, and others will emerge.

If you want a bigger scope of names you can check out this list of players for the upcoming NTDP Evaluation Camp for the 1995 birth year.

jntadt22

Mar 6, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Was very impressed when I saw him play with the Honeybaked 95's at the Silver Stick last year. Looked to be a better version of the vaunted Darnell Nurse to me.

It's funny you mentioned SS last year. That's one of the reasons I put him on here. I saw him last year there and have been trying to keep an eye on him since. I don't think he'll be a super high draft pick, but he has talent, size and heart. Nice combo imo!

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Reinhart is a late 95 and will not be eligible until 2014. My early #1 for that draft

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
Patrik Koys? There's another good Slovak too from what I've heard, but apparently these two kids are great. Seen youtube footage of Koys and he looks like a good player.

I believe he's 2014.

Yes, Patrik is 2014.
Best 1995 prospects from Slovakia are Tomas Torok, Martin Reway, Robert Varga and Matej Paulovic, 2013 eligible is late 1994 Marko Dano. There is also strong goalkeeper group of 1995 born kids - Okolicany, Godla, Halo, Gibl, Mikolas.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Ontario:

Your right, that week Horvat was the best player on the team with Subban, Garlent and Maletta.

But when you look at the season over 8 months, the other players have displayed a higher cieling then Horvat. Horvat is still expected to be a 1st round pick.

You need to look past a week and look at the long term.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

Smith has played well, however he is not as consistant as other players. That was probably the best ive seen him in about 5-6 viewings. I like Nurse more long term. Nurse to me has a higher potential, and higher long term projectability. Smith was better that weekend, but im not sure he will be better in 2-3 years, which is what rankings and projecting is about.

It's funny you mentioned SS last year. That's one of the reasons I put him on here. I saw him last year there and have been trying to keep an eye on him since. I don't think he'll be a super high draft pick, but he has talent, size and heart. Nice combo imo!

Im not sure that I would put Smith in the same group as Santini, Butcher, Pelnik, DeAngelo and co. however I have no doubt that if he committed to the OHL, Smith would be a top 20 pick.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Yeah, I fully agree. I thought the guy was the complete package.

I don't know how he wouldn't be first round pick if he let it be known that his goal for next year is to play in the OHL. My guess is he's being heavily pursued by the CCHA powerhouse programs.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Smith has played well, however he is not as consistant as other players. That was probably the best ive seen him in about 5-6 viewings. I like Nurse more long term. Nurse to me has a higher potential, and higher long term projectability. Smith was better that weekend, but im not sure he will be better in 2-3 years, which is what rankings and projecting is about.

Im not sure that I would put Smith in the same group as Santini, Butcher, Pelnik, DeAngelo and co. however I have no doubt that if he committed to the OHL, Smith would be a top 20 pick.

I know you've seen the top 95's play way more than I have, so I'll take your word for it. All I know is Smith looked like a top prospect based on those 5 games I saw him in.

As far as Santini, Butcher, Pelnik, and DeAngelo, I can't comment as I have unfortunately never seen them play. If they're considerably better than Smith, they must be something else!

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I know you've seen the top 95's play way more than I have, so I'll take your word for it. All I know is Smith looked like a top prospect based on those 5 games I saw him in.

As far as Santini, Butcher, Pelnik, and DeAngelo, I can't comment as I have unfortunately never seen them play. If they're considerably better than Smith, they must be something else!

Im not sure if better is the right word. Right now Smith is at their level to an extent, but most feel that the other players will develop into more then what Smith will develop into.

Thats what it comes down too. We both can agree that all things being equal, hes an OHL 1st Round pick

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Im not sure if better is the right word. Right now Smith is at their level to an extent, but most feel that the other players will develop into more then what Smith will develop into.

Thats what it comes down too. We both can agree that all things being equal, hes an OHL 2st Round pick

That makes sense. Thanks, and I appreciate you insight. Enjoy the OHL Cup. Should be a fun week.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
No particular order:

Nathan MacKinnon - consensus number 1 right now?
Alex Forsberg - made lots of noise last year, haven't heard much lately
Max Domi - very good player, possibly Ontario's best forward.
Darnell Nurse - Domi's teammate, THN compared to Pronger, not sure about that.
Morgan Klimchuk - haven't heard about him before THN's FW11
Nick Baptiste - Very good forward, better then Domi? debatable.
Jordan Malleta - Powerforward from Ontario.
Nicholas Ritchie - Big winger, can score goals.
Steven Varga - Solid defenceman, probably later pick in draft.
Jordan Subban - similar to his brother, made news at winter games.
Steve Santini - american defenceman in ushl

Ritchie is a late birthday and thus a 2014 eligible player.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
What about Ryan Pulock? He'll be one of the older players in the draft since he's born in October, but he's Brandon's highest scoring defenceman with 41 points in 61 games.

Anyone know anything about him?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
One player that is eligble for this draft that I wonder if anyone got some extra info about is Robert Hägg that right now plays for MoDo.

He is allready really big, he was the best scorer among d-men in TV-pucken (the most important tournament for 15-year olds), he had fantastic stats for a 15-year old in SEL-3 this season and right now he is producing at an amazing rate in the U-16 championship. 10 points in 5 games so far. Anyone knows something more about this kid?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=27397

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What about Ryan Pulock? He'll be one of the older players in the draft since he's born in October, but he's Brandon's highest scoring defenceman with 41 points in 61 games.

Anyone know anything about him?

I've seen him several times this year and he has failed to shock me or anything with his play. He's had some big nights against the Blades, but mostly on nights when they play in Brandon (and I'm not there).

He is just a very safe, smart and solid all around defender. I guess that is very respectable for a 16 year old, but the kid sure isn't flashy or overly dynamic.

He has gone a long way to earn the trust of Kelly McCrimmon in Brandon though. The kid is the only blueliner on their first PP unit, as they go with 4 forwards.

Takes quite a bit for McCrimmon to trust a 16 year old like that.

KingJet*

I already mentioned him in this Thread but, Madison Bowey, look at the game vs Vancouver on the 18th, he had such a sick hit, and a terrific assist and was a plus two. This guy is for sure going to be in the top 10 in 2013

FLOATER

Mar 21, 2011
Horvat

Your right, that week Horvat was the best player on the team with Subban, Garlent and Maletta.

But when you look at the season over 8 months, the other players have displayed a higher cieling then Horvat. Horvat is still expected to be a 1st round pick.

You need to look past a week and look at the long term.

Well Bo also lead the Alliance league in scoring. Not enough attention given to the Alliance and some of these teams have played well against the top ranked Toronto teams.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Well Bo also lead the Alliance league in scoring. Not enough attention given to the Alliance and some of these teams have played well against the top ranked Toronto teams.

Can someone inform me on what the alliance is? and is there anywhere I can see stats from the gthl or the alliance? I know the gthl is the toronto league and the most popular one, is the alliance like kids from ottawa or something?

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Can someone inform me on what the alliance is? and is there anywhere I can see stats from the gthl or the alliance? I know the gthl is the toronto league and the most popular one, is the alliance like kids from ottawa or something?

Alliance comprises of teams from London, Waterloo, Hamilton, Brantford, Windsor, Cambridge etc. Personally I have seen games in the Alliance and although they have some really good players I think it is a weaker league when compared to the Omha and Gthl. If you want to search for the alliance they have all the stats and standing on pointstreak.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-division-leaders.html?divisionid=22808&seasonid=6106

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->