Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 4

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sorry, you can say it was only 1 round, which MXD does and that's defensible but saying that he didn't play well raises questions on your part.

Well, I won't argue C1958's argument, but I'd like to point out that we're two different persons and that he's not bound in any way by what I put forword, especially considering we both disagree about Ovechkin's performance.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Isn't he the lawyer who used to post a lot on the political forum, username Wetcoaster? He had a post-count similar to yours if not more IIRC.I just assumed it was him.

Wetcoaster's posts litterally stank of lawyering. It was an unbearable stench, like, absolutely putrid. Much worse than our two or three lawyers in this project writing in their first language.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hear ye, hear ye my name is Samuel Seabury
And I present free thoughts on the proceedings of the continental congress
Heed not the rabble who scream revolution
They have not your interests at heart…

Finally, I've had the chance to digest the last 20 pages of this thread...

First, some of the stuff I kind of grimaced at (besides the one thing I quoted about best players playing forward...)

Ovechkin commanding respect of defenses. Who among these players didn't do that really? Messier? Nighbor? And even so, with Ovechkin, that shadowing was limited to power play time. At even strength, it was his own self-limiting nature that helped his teams fail in the postseason. It's Ovechkin's lack of well-roundedness as purely an offensive performer (meaning, I would look the other way on defense in some respects, if he brought more dimension offensively...a la Lemieux) that made him relatively easy to lock down (again, among players in this realm...not compared to a slug like Tomas Fleischmann) when the chips were down. Not strong in puck distribution, self-limiting, head-down carries up the LW...defensemen with positional integrity (even untalented technical players like Dan Girardi) were able to tie him up. He is what he is...a one-dimensional goal scorer who thrived in power play time. His power play prowess is among the best of all-time, his goal-scoring exploits are among the best of all time. His playoff and international resume is certainly not a positive for him for his career. In the same way that I argued against Maurice Richard for his lack of overall dimension, is this same way I'm going here. I'm not ready for Ovechkin time.

Guy Lafleur is not someone I could put over Ovechkin, as Ovechkin is probably a more dominant version of Lafleur (with some blur)...Lafleur is a playoff wagon, but it's not enough to quite get him over Ovechkin for me. They'll both be towards the very bottom of my ballot.

Nicklas Lidstrom and shot blocking. I do not rate shot blocking as a necessary skill for success. I don't rate shot blockers as good defensive players, I don't rate them as bad defensive players. There's no correlation there. If I had to pin shot blockers from the blueline into a type...it's typically loose gap, less-than-average lateral or backward skaters that give the blueline because they don't have the confidence or ability to match speed with different types of on-rushing forwards. That doesn't describe Nicklas Lidstrom, he could play defense any way you wanted against anyone you wanted, except he wasn't a bruiser. I'm happy that Nicklas Lidstrom didn't often leave his feet...leaving your feet gives up leverage and it's not something that should be encouraged at the higher levels. I know that it's fun to look at it, every so often, it does show effort...but if you're leaving your feet often, it's probably because you're a bad player. Learned that from Coach Larry Robinson. Lidstrom was too smart and too efficient to be lying on the ice being a pinata for clappers. Lidstrom will rank highly for me this ballot.

Denis Potvin, the expansion mule. This is an interesting point. One thing that's not interesting is suggesting that Nicklas Lidstrom or Alexander Ovechkin had expansion-like conditions. That really shows a lack of grasp of what constitutes an expansion environment and what is just a poor team. There is a marked difference. Particularly in Potvin's time, in a league that was already getting diluted...the only player that jumps to mind as coming out of an expansion-like environment is Mario Lemieux. A poor team, almost no marketable assets, inexperienced if not ruinous coaching, a slew of inexperienced managers, no money, no fans, intentionally losing hoping an 18 year old would save the franchise. Potvin had the benefit of Al Arbour and the Architect but I'm not going to punish him because smart people made smart decisions and he was their first smart decision. The advantage the Islanders had over almost every other team in the late 70's through the mid 80's is their cohesiveness and predictability on both sides of the puck (in a good way...there's good predictability and bad predictability)...Potvin and Trottier were the foundation for that. If you want to knock Potvin, you can say the early 80's were pretty weak. Even with that, Potvin will rate highly for me this ballot.

Red Kelly, a five-tool player. I value versatility and adaptability more than most. Therefore, I've been waiting for Kelly to come available to us. He could play virtually anywhere and be effective. That didn't stop at even strength either. PP, he could work the point and down-low as a playmaker from behind the net. PK he could line up in most spots as well. If you wanted to knock Kelly for something, maybe he's a little passive as a player (like Lidstrom) and maybe not the best backward skater I've seen...he often turned and went back with rushers, as opposed to keeping them in front of him from what I've seen. I would think it would be hard to distance Kelly from Lidstrom, however which way you have it. I see Lidstrom as a little better defensively, I see Kelly as more versatile. I see them as having similar dominance.

Discounted by circumstance, the 3x MVP Jaromir Jagr. I ran a similar justification with Sidney Crosby (and others) and I'm going to do it here with Jagr because he needs a little defending I think. I would say "let's be real..." but I know it's the opposite...so..."Let me be fake a second..." and say this...Jagr's a 3x Hart Trophy winner in my eyes. He missed a quarter of the season in 2000 and it gave way to a rare defenseman win...in the same way that we all know Crosby was the best player in 2013, we know (I'd like to think) Jagr was the best and most valuable player in 2000. Again, in a different era completely, in 2006 it took one of the worst trades in NHL history for him to be narrowly eclipsed for another one. Playing on a clown car roster of a bunch of mid-30's players, he drops a 120+ points and was 55% higher in points than nearest team Mikael Nylander. Some anti-Jagr folks here are confusing poor teams with poor top-six. My contention isn't that the Penguins top six was bad post-Mario (or even with Mario), it's that the team was completely hollow underneath it. No bottom six forwards, no defense, little to no goaltending. That's not a good team. That doesn't mean Alexei Kovalev is untalented, that's not what that means. It's that he played on teams where he had to do it all. So highlighting them being good regular season clubs is a testament to Jagr. Not a lot of top-six-only teams make it very far in the postseason...even in 1996 with Mario, the Penguins lost because of their lack of bottom six and lack of defense...it wasn't just a Jagr problem. When it was Lemieux and Jagr vs. the world - they lost. When it was Jagr vs. the world - they lost. When the team had players like 36 year old Petr Sykora and fourth line center Maxime Talbot in their top-six - they won. You just can't play that top-six or bust game and expect to win.

But here's an instance where we are trophy counting and it makes a player look much worse than he is. Forget the Lindros win in 1995 and all that...I'm not going to completely strip him of MVP credit in 2000 and 2006 though...Jagr offers more dimension to his game from an offensive perspective than Ovechkin and he did it across three distinctly different eras, where as Ovechkin has not. I'll take Jagr over Ovechkin for now, and it's not all that close...I mean, they aren't miles apart...but it's not like they're neighbors.

Miscellany: Jacques Plante seems undercooked this round. With no other goalie to compare him to, he seems to be stuck in limbo. I had Morenz (16), Nighbor (21), then Shore (25) on my initial list (because that was asked). I can definitely buy Nighbor now though. I'm still uncertain as to how much worse he really was than Morenz. They can't be too far apart, right? Stan Mikita's numbers are hard to ignore...it's not like he was a bad player of course...he looks a little weak in the playoffs (both statistically and on film), it's ok to punish him for some of the Blackhawks failures...but at what point do we say, "that's too far..."? I don't have a good answer for that at this moment, and I would like to...

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The Blackhawks of the 60's didn't have the F or D depth of the Habs and Leafs. That is a big factor many like to gloss over. It doesn't completely negate their failures to win more than a single Cup (with Hull, Mikita, and Pilote as lead dogs) but it absolutely matters. Placing the lions share of the blame on any single person is foolhardy.

Look at the 61-62 Cup final vs Toronto.

HOF'ers on Chicago:

Hull, Mikita, Pilote, Hall.

HOF'ers on Toronto:

Keon, Mahovlich, Horton, Kelly, Armstrong, Pulford, Duff, Olmstead, Stanley, Bower, Cheevers

-Now we can argue over a couple of the HOF'ers on Toronto being deserving but even if you don't think they are (I'm in that group) it's abundantly clear that Toronto is a loaded team. Chicago has the better top end talent, but top to bottom, they're over matched. Period.

-Same thing in 62-63 and the following year against Detroit. I'm not sure if Chicago had a better collection of talent in those years either. It certainly wasn't a team that should have been favored by any significant margin.

-I see most of those Blackhawk teams as top heavy with little depth and an inability to spread the wealth around against other elite teams.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Keon, Mahovlich, Horton, Kelly, Armstrong, Pulford, Duff, Olmstead, Stanley, Bower, Cheevers (HOF'ers on (61-62) Toronto)-
Wow, that's one heck of a picked cherry you got there. Custom-selected to maximize the number of HoFers. Olmstead? His last year- minus player. Cheevers? Really?? Not only a blatantly undeserving HoFer, but also his first year. Played a grand total of two games. It's quite an unworthy way to present an argument.

Funny thing is- I agree with you on the point that (in that particular year), Toronto was clearly the superior team- proved it in the regular season; proved it in The Final. But seriously, when one frames a position this way, it raises suspicions more than it confirms the case.

Placing the lions share of the blame on any single person is foolhardy.
No-one is solely to blame- I don't think anyone out here is saying that anyone is. There is, more years than not, statistically significant underperformance, though-- and it should be recognized for what it is.

[I know 61-62 was Mikita's annus mirabilis playoff run- but he'd never do anything anywhere near that ever again...]

Reactions: Michael Farkas

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Locks are in green

Maybes are in blue

Too early are in red

Vote 4 Candidates

• Alex Ovechkin - A round too early for me. His regular season resume looks strong (elite all time goal scorer) and he finally did earn his long missing Cup with a strong run and Smythe but overall his postseason career is still below average and play for team Russia more or less putrid. I think he'll look better in vote 5.
  • Denis Potvin - I simply think Kelly and Lidstrom are better. Not by much mind you, but enough that it pushes DP down into the blue. I think he'll more or less be a lock for me next round depending on who goes this time. I give him high marks for being the backbone of an expansion team, staying with it and showing extremely well when they became a dynasty. Top 20 player all time for me, just not quite ready for him yet.
  • Frank Nighbor - Very close on Nighbor as I'm one of his biggest supporters. Elite defensively, elite as a postseason player and given he played in an era (and was heavily slanted towards playmaking) where the forward pass was largely absent, with assists being recorded at an uneven rate, he still looks good as an offensive player. Put it all together and he's another top 20 lock for me. I simply have 3 other players slightly ahea
  • Guy Lafleur - Elite peak, both regular and postseasons but his longevity compared to most is lacking. Also played on one of the most stacked dynasties of all time, although he was the man during that 70's run.
  • Jacques Plante - He's close. I like what he did at his best in Montreal, even if I think he was the 3rd/4th wheel (so to speak) on those dynasties more often than not. I really like what he did for St Louis as a 40/41 year old.
  • Jaromir Jagr - A lot of flash and offensive pomp but only 1 Hart sort of dampens the luster for me. I find him weak as a postseason player, especially when you consider how dominant he was offensively during his prime. Outscored routinely in the playoffs by lesser players. Never past the 2nd round in Pitt without Mario. International record is spotty although i value it less given he wasn't on a favorite many times.
  • Mark Messier - The only thing he lacks is top end scoring but counters other F's here with a complete 2 way game including higher end PK'ing. Other than that he's got multiple Harts in a tough era, elite postseason credentials and was good for team Canada.
  • Nicklas Lidstrom - Great regular season credentials, especially longevity, even if they came in a slightly weaker era top to bottom, compared to others on the list. Great postseason resume with high end play spread over a long period of time. He was a complete, 2 way Dman. Didn't put his team in a bad spot, rarely taking penalties and was great in all 3 phases.
  • Phil Esposito - I think he benefited from Orr and I think it's been shown as a reality by multiple people over many years. His numbers directly before and after Orr decline sharply, including +/-. Still, he's an elite, albeit localized offensive force. Showed well in the postseason and had an all time great 72 Summit series. Have him in the 20's so it's too early for me. Great player either way.
  • Red Kelly - Much like Lidstrom above defensively, he even boasts, at the very least good credentials as a F for Toronto. Very diverse player, showed well in both regular and postseasons. A few have better top end peaks but his longevity and impact well into his 30's for Toronto on the 60's dynasty is impossible to overlook.
  • Stan Mikita - Yeah, going with purple here haha. His peak scoring is great. Strong award cabinet, especially given who he played with. He was, IMO, a good 2 way F. But his longevity is a bit lacking and postseason play uneven although I think it's a bit overblown for reasons I've discussed before. Either way a round too early but somebody who should get greater consideration next go.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wow, that's one heck of a picked cherry you got there. Custom-selected to maximize the number of HoFers. Olmstead? His last year- minus player. Cheevers? Really?? Not only a blatantly undeserving HoFer, but also his first year. Played a grand total of two games. It's quite an unworthy way to present an argument.

Funny thing is- I agree with you on the point that (in that particular year), Toronto was clearly the superior team- proved it in the regular season; proved it in The Final. But seriously, when one frames a position this way, it raises suspicions more than it confirms the case.
No-one is solely to blame- I don't think anyone out here is saying that anyone is. There is, more years than not, statistically significant underperformance, though-- and it should be recognized for what it is.

[I know 61-62 was Mikita's annus mirabilis playoff run- but he'd never do anything anywhere near that ever again...]

Agreed, I should have omitted the names you brought forth in retrospect.

Take them out and it's still a big slant towards Toronto which was my overall point. Very rarely do I see a Chicago team in the 60's that should have been outright favored to win a series. Yes, in an ideal world you'd like to have seen them outperform the roster discrepancies, but we're not talking 1920's and 30's Boston failures where Boston was, at times, the best team in the league by miles.

And let's not forget the coaching gap that existed. No offense to Rudy Pilous or Billy Reay, they were over matched against Toe Blake and Punch Imlach certainly.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Good on you for taking this in stride.

I had this post about a year back- apropos the BlackHawks next two years-

If one knew nothing more than the names of the players- and the regular-season records, one could be expected to exhaust a few guesses before realizing that it was the 1960-61 BlackHawks that won the franchise's sole Stanley Cup during that span.
That said, it would be an interesting discussion to answer the question of which iteration of the '60s 'Hawks you'd take to battle. During the span 62-63 & 63-64, Chicago accumulated the best regular-season record during that pair of seasons. They lost out on the Prince of Wales trophy by one point both times. In that time, the BlackHawks notched 165 standings-points, Montreal scored 164, and Toronto achieved 160 [but won both Cups]. I'm sure there have been other times in Hockey History where the top three teams were separated by so small a blanket-- but this example's pretty compelling.
If pressed, I suppose most would opt for the 63-64 version. Chicago almost entirely populated the league All-Star First Team. [Hull-Mikita-Wharram-Pilote-Hall.] And yet, this squad was bounced in the semis by a Detroit team that played goalie-carousel and still came back from a 3-2 deficit to drum out the BlackHawks.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I'm super high on Messier. Superb longevity from his 1st team AS selection in 1981-82, to a Hart runner-up in 1995-96. Superb playoff performer who was strong before and after the Gretzky trade. Stepped up in big moments. A physically damaging 1984 performance in Game 7 in Calgary.

A morale-boosting hit on Potvin in the Finals, and running past Potvin for a couple of goals:

Walking through Steve Yzerman to take over in the 1987 CCF when Gretzky was still concussed. Tasked with going head-to-head with KLM in the 1987 Canada Cup as Larionov disappeared for the series. Led the Oilers in scoring through three rounds in 1988. A semi-famous finish of a check on Gretzky in 1989, and 12 points in 7 games in spite of the Kings winning. Leads the 1990 playoffs in points. Played a big role for NYR as a PK player on a 91% PK team (one of the best of the era), and of course was out there to kill a 6-on-4 against New Jersey to get an ENG as his 4th point in a 4-2 comeback victory. His 1.25 PPG in the playoffs are 3rd all-time to 99 and 66, which is impressive considering his longevity and lack of pre-88 PP time.

Messier's 0.780 ES PPG is the playoffs is impressive considering he did it over 236 games. For reference Mario Lemieux is a 0.804.

PlayerGPESPEPPG
Mario Lemieux107860.804
Mark Messier2361840.780
Lafleur (to 1984)124940.758
Jagr (to 2008)1691240.734
Phil Esposito130850.654
Mikita (to 1975)145920.634
Alex Ovechkin121670.554
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The value of 236 games as a PK beast, the #1 SH goal-scorer of all time, a game-influencing physical presence, strong 2-way play, being the guy you want to take a faceoff at the end of a game, all while scoring only marginally less than Mario Lemieux at ES?

To me that is very high.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I like Messier as well. If you were asked to create a team to meet the Evil Alien Team that is about to destroy the earth - how could you possibly pass up on Messier? He'd be a lock for me.

That has to account for something, I think.

I wouldn't consider international play a minus for Jagr. He was usually pretty good for the Czech team (I've seen a ton of WHC games with him), the teams he was on just weren't good enough, much like in late 90's with the Pens.

Ovechkin, though... Oh boy. He's easily the worst international player amongst superstars.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I like Messier as well. If you were asked to create a team to meet the Evil Alien Team that is about to destroy the earth - how could you possibly pass up on Messier? He'd be a lock for me.

That has to account for something, I think.

I wouldn't consider international play a minus for Jagr. He was usually pretty good for the Czech team (I've seen a ton of WHC games with him), the teams he was on just weren't good enough, much like in late 90's with the Pens.

Ovechkin, though... Oh boy. He's easily the worst international player amongst superstars.
On this point - Ovi may be the worst international player in the entire top 100.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
On this point - Ovi may be the worst international player in the entire top 100.

Funny you say that. I was thinking about writing exactly that. I have a hard time to think of any one worse amongst the players that ever had the chance of playing internationally on this list.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Noticed the quote earlier that Red Kelly was moved to C in Toronto because Punch Imlach wanted him to go up against Beliveau. Did Kelly consistently matchup against Beliveau throughout the 60's? Beliveau had a pretty modest 10 ES points in 26 playoff games against Toronto in the 1960's. Not including 1960 itself, the year Kelly was traded there.

As often as Imlach could get that match-up.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
As often as Imlach could get that match-up.

Perhaps early on. According to his autobiography, Beliveau complained about Dave Keon's skating as a large factor in the poor playoff performances in 1963 and 1964.

EDIT: Looking it up, in PO games against the Habs, Keon was a team best +7 and Kelly was a team worst -3 in those years.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Even Gretzky played defense in youth hockey. Ensures you can have the best player on the ice half the game, even at levels where equal ice time among players is required, as a youth team is typically 2 defense pairs and 3 forward lines.

Also keeps the parents happy since all forward lines receive equal playing time with the star player in a 3/2 rotation.

Plus it is easy to rotate the 4 d-men.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Just a guess, but two of those players other than Gretzky/Lemieux who outscored 27-to-35-year-old Mark Messier were probably younger... like 20-27 or 23-30. Just seems like a weird standard to hold someone to in a voting block with players that don’t have nearly the same range of relevant seasons.

He had already played 7 seasons since his first 1st Team All-Star selection in 1982, then Gretzky leaves in 1988 and he has to go another 7-8 seasons when he’s getting compared to the relatively short primes from Potvin, Mikita, and Esposito?

And even then from those 8 seasons, we’re looking at two seasons with a Hart, another season as the Hart runner-up, another season with a 30+ point playoff run, and a combined 302 points in 246 games (100-point pace) in the four uneventful seasons from the time frame you’re highlighting here.

And then he reunites with Gretzky in 1997, and Messier at 36-years-old is the 7th best per-game scorer still - behind just Lemieux and five HOFers 9-13 years younger than him.

It seems like Messier stood out pretty well both before and after Gretzky left, even if he peaked as a point producer - both in the regular season and in the playoffs - from 1987-1990. That Messier didn’t have a bunch of 129-point seasons in his 30s probably shouldn’t raise any flags.

651 points in 500 games from 1982-1988 with Wayne Gretzky. 721 points in 554 games from 1989-1996 without Wayne Gretzky. 147 playoff points in 107 games and then another 126 playoff points in 102 games. Pick a half; he’ll make the Hall of Fame with either.
All Good points. But if you are crediting Messier with 16-17 relevant seasons, the two C's I have in mind would be the same standard be credited with 16-17 as well. One of the differences being they retired at 39 and 40, not 43. They played 2-3 "irrelevant" seasons on the back end before retiring, instead of like 7. And all 3 players are known playoff studs.

You second paragraph is definitely a valid point worth giving some weight to.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wetcoaster's posts litterally stank of lawyering. It was an unbearable stench, like, absolutely putrid. Much worse than our two or three lawyers in this project writing in their first language.

..... :biglaugh: now... just a Baldy Cotton Pick'n Minute here MXD. "Unbearable stench"?!!! You get high points for creative writing from me Man however... Wetcoaster is a friend of mine & was a regular contributor to the Business of Hockey Board and ya, was involved in the game professionally on the Legal/Agent side of the ice. I for one always enjoyed his input, observations & comments, knowledge & experience which was/is substantial just as I do the many others who are Lawyers or involved in that sector at whatever level career-wise. Sure some might seem Snippy, condescending at times perhaps, but then, you can get that from all quarters be it white or blue collar, from academics, media types, authors, self styled historians & or other self appointed experts of all stripes, all walks of life. He's a great guy, has contributed much to this site.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
To be a truly great lawyer, you're almost always inherently great at bullshitting and stretching facts to the absolute limits (or creating alternate ones). The great ones are alpha types and when you combine those qualities it can make for a tough read to be sure. :nod:

Reactions: MXD and Killion

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Just jumping in here. I like Larry Robinson very much, and I do think he was probably as good offensively as Denis Potvin. Is it sacrilegious to suggest it? The one difference is that Potvin in '76, '78' and '79 scored noticeably more goals in each season than Robinson ever did. So, I guess I would conclude that Potvin was a better goal-scorer, at least in those three seasons. Maybe the advantage to Potvin for peak offensive goal-scoring, but overall I think they're pretty even.

Maybe peak goal scoring advantage?

During Potvin's 15 seasons, Robinson only had more goals than Potvin in 3 seasons, all of in which he played more game than Potvin (41 in 213 GP vs 32 in 158). Robinson's best season total was 19 goals. Potvin had 10 seasons where he had 19+ goals, including 3 30 goal seasons. Potvin's average goals in a season (310/15 = 20.67) is higher than Robinson's peak.

Reactions: wetcoast

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Re the Kelly v Beliveau match-up from a Toronto perspective.

Alternative would be Kelly v H.Richard which did not favour Toronto since Imlach would have Mahovlich facing the best Canadiens checking line.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad