Value of: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This isn't close.

DeAngelo>Nylander. We also have no real need for Nylander.

We're not throwing in Lemieux and Hurricanes first. Rutherford isn't running our team.

I agree on the bold.

I think there is a strategic value in adding WN in that he is a fit on Kreider-Zib line which enables LaF to go to LW directly on 3rd line to start. Chemistry is usually worth trying to get, and on paper righty shot, high speed, scorer Nyl suggests chemistry there.

There is the exp drft to consider. We get more cushion moving DeA for futures or a F.

I don't think it is as simple as:
"DeAngelo>Nylander"

Nylander is obv the better scorer, which as a F, he should be. After that, it is murkier. Deangelo is an emerging offensive force for a D.
Both are excellent skaters and passers.
I wouldn't say Nylander is a creampuff. I would say he is borderline soft.
And Nylander has been invisible w/TOR to date in POs. That could change if on a dif line.

Deangelo is not the McAvoy type stud we all would like to have, but he is, like the song says "tough enough". Believe it or not, Deangelo is a very, very poor man's Brian Leetch with the mercury moving up. Every club can appreciate having one.

I didn't agree that having Barrie, an inferior product, meant duplication and a reason to not add Deangelo. Now that Bar is buh bye, all the more reason for Leafs consider to add.

However, TOR must first satisfy itself and come to the conclusion that the D it wants, the Parayko types, are not available. Only then will Leafs honestly, openly consider if they are better w/DeA and is he worth the price.
Assuming DeA is still available.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fowler isn't the guy we are looking for. He doesn't PK, and his combination of age and cap hit isn't ideal. Lindholm would be the better target from Anaheim, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it.

I really don't know why Fowler has been used less on the PK the past couple years, previously (back when the Ducks had a top notch PK) he was always getting his fair share.

I suspect it may be just a case of managing his minutes since he's been thrust into the number one powerplay role after the departures of Vatanen, Theodore and Montour.

He may not seem like the exact perfect fit but Fowler can definitely play in all situations and would easily be your best LHD right now. If the Rangers can replace most of what DeAngelo brings from within, overall I think this could end up being a notable improvement to your blueline

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
However, TOR must first satisfy itself and come to the conclusion that the D it wants, the Parayko types, are not available. Only then will Leafs honestly, openly consider if they are better w/DeA and is he worth the price.
Assuming DeA is still available.
TML don't want TDA. Try again.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't know that it's very realistic either way, but how would Rangers fans feel about DeAngelo for Fowler base?

Rangers solve their issue of having too many similar RHD, get a more proven minute muncher to slide in as your top LHD for the foreseeable future.

Anaheim can use DeAngelo in an ideal situation for him, on the 2nd or 3rd pairing with guys like Lindholm/Manson/Gudbranson etc taking on the heavier defensive assignments. The Ducks have no PP quarterback in the system and are crying out for offensive help.

Fowler has six years remaining at 6.5M, I'm unsure what the projections are for DeAngelo's next deal but I'd guess he'd come in over 5M and make the financial trade off fairly close.

The problem is we'd have to play Fowler in a top-pairing role with our current group. Stylistically I don't think he's a bad partner for Trouba but I don't love the idea of putting Fowler out there against those match ups. Unfortunately we don't have a Lindholm that Fowler can play behind. Fowler would easily be our best LD but that's not necessarily an ideal situation or reason to make the deal.

I think if the Rangers were going to add a LHD they'd either want a guy who can definitively excel with Trouba (in theory at least) or a guy who can solidify a 2nd pairing with Fox but play the kind of game Lindgren brings currently. I.e. someone physical but capable of moving the puck out of his own end. The 2nd option probably including some sort of north-south player who can skate in the middle-six to balance the value a bit.

There's always potential for the Rangers to acquire that LD in another deal and move DeAngelo for other pieces as well. Still, those need to be very impactful pieces as he's a very impactful player.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What I said in my post.
STUD CLEAR THE CREASE D FIRST Ds THEY WANT ARE NOT AVAILABLE.
Will wait for TML to accept this fact,
unless better op to move DeA is elsewhere emerges.

Reassess again.
OK, so they don't get a stud clearing D.

They still don't want TDA.

We get it, you want him off the team bad and are willing to trade him because a guy had a good year in Sweden. Sorry but that's going to effect his value even if you do find a team that wants him after the 3rd team decided to move on.

Reassess that.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Lmao if deangelo was so valuable, Rangers should probably find a way to keep him.

He is not that valuable
Wait.... is your entire argument that you haven't been watching hockey long enough to see a player price himself off of a team? Oof. Bad take kid. Bad f***ing take.

Reactions: Kupo

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Wait.... is your entire argument that you haven't been watching hockey long enough to see a player price himself off of a team? Oof. Bad take kid. Bad f***ing take.

If the player has priced himself too high, why would any team be interested?

He's not that good.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Why cave to a high asking price from NYR from a purely offensive defenseman who is below average at the defensive aspect of the game

You can go out and sign Erik Gustafsson for free and get essentially the same type of defenseman and production level without giving up assets and likely cheaper to sign

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OK, so they don't get a stud clearing D.

They still don't want TDA.

We get it, you want him off the team bad and are willing to trade him because a guy had a good year in Sweden. Sorry but that's going to effect his value even if you do find a team that wants him after the 3rd team decided to move on.

Reassess that.

You can lead a horse to water, but...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If the player has priced himself too high, why would any team be interested?

He's not that good.

b'c at 4.5 est for the next year or 2 he is not priced too high and is an affordable fit for multiple teams.

Thankfully NYR have Nils L and his elc to step in anytime, which allows them to recover $ needed for rest of the team.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
There are some teams that should really take a chance on this guy. If he signs a contract with a new team, what's the shortest route to UFA for him?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You can go out and sign Erik Gustafsson for free and get essentially the same type of defenseman and production level without giving up assets and likely cheaper to sign

EG never had the offensive pedigree DeAngelo has. Despite having a monster year last season he’ll likely never replicate that kind of production.

He’s also 4 years older than DeAngelo. He’s also a Left Handed Shot. And there’s only 1 of him available this summer.

Really weak argument here. Different players at different times in their careers.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The last time the Rangers traded a 24-year-old defenseman who had just finished top-5 in scoring he ended up in the f***ing Hall of Fame. Hopefully the franchise has learned its lesson.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
EG never had the offensive pedigree DeAngelo has. Despite having a monster year last season he’ll likely never replicate that kind of production.

He’s also 4 years older than DeAngelo. He’s also a Left Handed Shot. And there’s only 1 of him available this summer.

Really weak argument here. Different players at different times in their careers.
I don't think you've watched a lot of Erik gustafsson then if you don't think they're the same caliber of offensive dman...

so the major difference on why they arent comparable is handedness of shot and 4 year age difference? Despite being 4 years old, Gustafsson just took longer to make it to the NHL, but he has only played 221 NHL games compared to DeAngelo's 200, so the NHL development is very much at the same experience level and its not like Gustafsson is about to decline, hes only 28. their career PPG averages, in near the same amount of games, is identical almost (Gus.538 vs DeA.525)

i also think its fair to say Deangelo's offensive production will start to take a dip once coaches work on him not roaming so much and getting caught up ice and out of position, the same thing Chicago/Calgary tried to work on with Gustafsson this year

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Ignore it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
i also think its fair to say Deangelo's offensive production will start to take a dip once coaches work on him not roaming so much and getting caught up ice and out of position, the same thing Chicago/Calgary tried to work on with Gustafsson this year

Ahhh, there it is. I was waiting for it.

This is literally all the proof one needs to realize you don’t watch DeAngelo.

There’s this common misconception from people like yourself who believe Tony’s a roaming dmen on the ice that thinks he’s a 4th forward and constantly gets caught out of position.

That couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s Fake News. It’s an attempt to make pretend you watch him and know about his shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad