Value of: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
RHD who can skate and move the puck would have plenty of suitors around league bidding for him. Your not getting a top ten pick as it's a deep draft this year but he's certainly worth a first plus another roster player at minimum to off set dollars he will be receiving next deal. The roster player would also not be a cap dump but a solid player.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
DeAngelo is worth a multi-year 6M$ deal, or a first, a good prospect and a roster defenseman.

That first won't be top 10 tho something like 15th , 2021 2nd , jayden struble would be the price. I would never pay that price for someone who can't defend to save his life.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
If another team gave DeAngelo a offer sheet worth $6 million per season, would the Rangers match it? I believe the compensation would be a 1st and 3rd picks in 2021. As for his value, how much would 2 or 3 second round picks and a high end prospect or two entice New York to trade him?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If another team gave DeAngelo a offer sheet worth $6 million per season, would the Rangers match it? I believe the compensation would be a 1st and 3rd picks in 2021. As for his value, how much would 2 or 3 second round picks and a high end prospect or two entice New York to trade him?

I think if DeAngelo actually signed that OS, the Rangers would match with out much thought.

As for the offer, it would depend on the prospect.

3 second round picks is nice, but that prospect better be really good to justify crapshoots for a known entity.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Question to Ranger fans with Tony D being mentioned. Why to rangers D-men seem to underperform and then when they are traded they get better. Fox is the only d guys over last couple of years that plays to his potential.

Pionk and Graves got better. Skeji so far so good for canes. Trouba a bit of a down year.

Are the Ranger d coaches that bad?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Reactions: Buchnevich89

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
NYR would be smart to prioritize a hockey trade for a middle-6/2C with offensive upside to flip flop with Chytil as he develops. If not, a futures package. Either way, they should get a good return.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Doubt there would be much interest if Barrie is a similar player available as a UFA. DeAngelo was the worst player against CAR. It seemed like they were targeting his terrible coverages.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Curious to see what fans around the league think his trade value is, plus he's a RFA this summer looking for a new big contract......what do you think his new contract will look like.

IMO
contract - depends on team that has him, degree to how they are susceptible to conronavirus effect on club revenues, also expansion draft -- if dealt how does Dea acquisition impact who is exposed/protected.
Those are underlying factors in a numbers game.
All of that in a mix, what I see is in most cases, depending on situation, it will be a 1 or 2 year deal at 4.5 per; however, there will be an understanding that in exchange for this solid, after this bridge, he will get escalated $ with term: i.e,, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 per for the following 5 years.
Those are minimum numbers.
If next month there is coronavirus vaccine, problems fully resolved before next season, begin of return to normalcy, out from under flat cap, those numbers go up. Until then, not so much.

Value - there is in a vacuum and as to Rangers, max return vs best possible fit return. Value is also impacted by exp drft. Value also dif in standalone vs in a package, where depending on size etc of a larger deal, value of some players may be discounted. [In biz this is called a volume discount.]

Given: player is mid 20s, I think just south of 25; righty shot, RD who can play LD. Obvious superior vision, superior to elite passing skills. Good + shot. Fluid skater with nice + speed, but not superior/elite wheels. Defense effective plus for the most part, but inconsistent, which is understandable due to often revolving D pairings on NYR and fact that Deangelo is often if not usually Marc Staal, once arguably the best pure shutdown D in the league in his prime, now sadly betrayed by injuries.

Value will be driven to some extent additionally, but not overly significantly, by competition = more offers and better offers among the most serious bidders.

Value may be just a pick or picks + assets. NY not likely to take vets. As I have been saying, pattern including Skjei for a 1st will continue. NY not under the gun yet, but must proactively move vets, not only to control cap $, but also to get down to an essential core.
Rangers want to move Buch + Strome and give Chytil, Kakko, Krav, Gauthier mo mins. Similarly, need to ditch Staal + Smith, want mins to see what we have in Hajek, Rykov and others. Deangelo esp w/exp dr complicates.

Retaining Deangelo is doable but not preferable.
Deangelo is too good for at least one team to not pony up serious compensation to acquire.

One ideal deal is something like Dea + Buch + for WNylander
However, I see FL as more likely, more on that later.

Standalone:
I see about 8OA, give or take.
Unfortunately, while he might well be ideal complement to Dahlin, Buf fans claim they are strong on RD, even tho the board is replete with constant pushes to move Montour, and to lesser extent Risto.

If no earlier pick steps up [unlikely], it will be middle pick +, with the + being substantial, how much depending on both where the pick is and other factors.

Time value of money; if a later pick is added b'c a current pick is not available, that later pick requires some further add, as if in interest for delayed gratification in being unable to use now.

finally again, I see and expect a package deal.
Hope to have new thread for that soon.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doubt there would be much interest if Barrie is a similar player available as a UFA. DeAngelo was the worst player against CAR. It seemed like they were targeting his terrible coverages.

1. Barrie does not have a fraction of Deangelo's skills.
He is not a poor man's Deangelo, he is destitute man's Deangelo.

2. Dea did not look good, neither did almost the entire rest of the team.

3. Let us remember that Deangelo usually drags along Staal; not his fault.

4. There were rumors Deangelo was physically not 100% and speculation he was going to be scratched reinforces such idea.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Maybe you're just overvaluing them :dunno:

Look at Dougie Hamilton for a comparison for DeAngelo, the trade was his offer-sheet compensation and a little bit more.
Why would you make that comparison when offensively DeAngelo's season bettered eclipsed any season Hamilton had?

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
rangers fans going to be disappointed. only hypotheticals so far offering mystery teams mid 1sts and prospects. low 1st + 3rd probably gets it done. maybe the Jets would bite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad