Value of: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Horvat has triple the value of this bum. Boeser would turn him inside out like Aho did
1) DeAngelo isn't a bum. He has flaws in his own end. I think most NYR fans will agree and quickly point those flaws out, but he's far from a bum.
2) DeAngel was injured and even if he wasn't injured, who really cares? Players get walked all the time. Also, Boeser ain't Aho.
3) You're responding to a poser who thinks DeAngelo was our best D-man last season and will quickly blame another player to protect DeAngelo.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Wild statement considering DeAngelo produced more than both of them as a dman

Acrually they produced at the same rate. Difference is DeAngelo is a one hit wonder and is basically a forward because let’s not kid ourselves he doesn’t play any defence.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Acrually they produced at the same rate. Difference is DeAngelo is a one hit wonder and is basically a forward because let’s not kid ourselves he doesn’t play any defence.

"Acrually" he produced at a higher rate than Horvat. And put up more points than Boeser.

Bolded is a blatant opinion in which you can provide zero evidence to back up.

He does have his warts on D. But its completely overblown, and 1 clip of him getting walked by Aho isn't gonna change my mind.

Thanks for your unbiased opinion though

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
"Acrually" he produced at a higher rate than Horvat. And put up more points than Boeser.

Bolded is a blatant opinion in which you can provide zero evidence to back up.

He does have his warts on D. But its completely overblown, and 1 clip of him getting walked by Aho isn't gonna change my mind.

Thanks for your unbiased opinion though

You said “rate” which usually indicates PPG where him and Boeser are basically a wash. Similar with Horvat who has some of the toughest deployment in the NHL. Outside of this season where has DeAnglo shown 60+ potential? I’m not exaggerating his defence either he couldn’t show you that zone if he had a map.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Let’s not kid ourselves here, it doesn’t matter which player on the Rangers is being discussed, they all suck because you’re a biased hater. That’s a fact. You’ve proven it over and over.

It’s kind of hard to take someone seriously when they spew as much venom as you do. You’re incapable of overlooking a players jersey when evaluating their play, and that’s why posters won’t ever respect your opinion.

I met Chico at a restaurant many years ago before he left the Devils crew to move to Minny. I never liked Chico because he was such a Devils homer. But my opinion on him changed immediately. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met and he wanted to talk about hockey more than I did.

He knew so many details about Rangers players and the game itself, it literally blew my mind. All I wanted to do is say hi to the guy and he was a magnet for a good hockey conversation.

My advice to you: Be more like Chico. You can enjoy and appreciate our rivalry without shitting on every single Rangers player, every single opportunity you get.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Let’s not kid ourselves here, it doesn’t matter which player on the Rangers is being discussed, they all suck because you’re a biased hater. That’s a fact. You’ve proven it over and over.

It’s kind of hard to take someone seriously when they spew as much venom as you do. You’re incapable of overlooking a players jersey when evaluating their play, and that’s why posters won’t ever respect your opinion.

I met Chico at a restaurant many years ago before he left the Devils crew to move to Minny. I never liked Chico because he was such a Devils homer. But my opinion on him changed immediately. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met and he wanted to talk about hockey more than I did.

He knew so many details about Rangers players and the game itself, it literally blew my mind. All I wanted to do is say hi to the guy and he was a magnet for a good hockey conversation.

My advice to you: Be more like Chico. You can enjoy and appreciate our rivalry without shitting on every single Rangers player, every single opportunity you get.

Panarin is one of my favourite players in the league so this makes no sense. I wasn’t even alive during the 94 finals so I could care less about it ......

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You said “rate” which usually indicates PPG where him and Boeser are basically a wash. Similar with Horvat who has some of the toughest deployment in the NHL. Outside of this season where has DeAnglo shown 60+ potential? I’m not exaggerating his defence either he couldn’t show you that zone if he had a map.

His numbers have trended up the last 2 years, scoring at a 40 point pace in 2019 and he scored 80 points in a season in junior. There’s no reason for anyone who watches him play to think that he’s a “one-hit-wonder.”

This logic used by people who either don’t watch him play, don’t like him because of his political beliefs and refer to the Aho clip to overstate defensive deficiency.

Yes, his defense needs work. No, it’s not as bad as you think because of one clip. No, he’s not a roamer. His defensive zone exit and offensive zone entry numbers are some of the best in the league regardless of position and he was tied for 3rd in defensive scoring at ES, so he’s not a PP point compiler. We don’t know if he’s a 60+ point defender going forward, but to act like 50+ is out of reach for him is disingenuous, at best.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Oh so their deployment explains their lack of production. We won't mention that they are FORWARDS and DeAngelo is a DMAN.

He is a 24 year old dman who has had 2 full NHL seasons under his belt...He was .5 ppg his first full season in the NHL which is pretty damn good.

You are exaggerating his defense. Show me any type of proof that he is an abysmal dman, you can't. He's just as bad as John Carlson defensively.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Panarin is one of my favourite players in the league so this makes no sense. I wasn’t even alive during the 94 finals so I could care less about it ......
Lol he just signed with the Rangers. Had he been a Rangers since day one you'd probably like him a lot less, if any.

Sure. But the people around you who lived during '94. Who knows what they've brainwashed you with.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Can't see nor don't want nothing to do with Tony.
Good. I want him to stay here.

Came off a career year on a contract year. Can be an absolute disaster in the long term if this was an outlier, which imo has a fair possiblity. I just don't see him replicating that point pace next season, if he did he would be a premier Ofd and I doubt there would be anyone entertaining in moving him if rangers fans thought that.

This looks like a sell high and sell because of contract demands
I, along with many other fans, don’t want him traded. Also, are you forgetting the 2018-19 season where he produced 0.5 PPG? Yea he played better and produced more this season, but it’s due to development. It’s not an anomaly.

The reasons why some Rangers fans want him traded have nothing to do with how talented he is. A) We already have an anchor of a contract with Trouba and can’t afford to keep signing defensemen to big contracts. B) Also goes along with A, but we have Fox, who is one of the best defensemen in the league, is 2-3 years younger than DeAngelo, will cost less for now, and though he is very good offensively, he’s the best defensive defenseman we have too. I say DeAngelo is on the same tier as him, but most have Fox as a tier above him. That’s not a slight against DeAngelo. Fox is just elite all-around. C) We have Lundkvist coming up, who projects to be a #2/3 defenseman in the mold of Fox. I would say his upside is about as high as Fox’s too. Add to that he’s going to be cost-controlled for a long time. And we don’t want him to sign elsewhere as a free agent. If he sees our overloaded right side, fans fear he’s not going to sign with us. D) Finally, we have a big need for a young, top 6 center. Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, and Fox are part of our core and are obviously not going anywhere, Zibanejad is our only legit top 6 center, Kreider just got signed to a long-term contract and isn’t enough to get a young center, Buchnevich won’t be enough, Trouba is a negative asset, we don’t know Lundkvist’s potential, and any other asset we have won’t be enough. So that leaves an elite offensive defenseman in DeAngelo. If fans didn’t think he could get us a top 6 center, they wouldn’t talk about trading him.

So really, it’s because of cap space issues (mainly the Trouba contract), not wanting to lose Lundkvist, having two other elite young defensemen on the right side in Fox and Lundkvist, and our need for a center. Again, I see DeAngelo as elite as the other two, but while he may be better offensively, he’s more inconsistent defensively. He still has great possession numbers. Like I said, for some fans, it really comes down to trading either Fox or DeAngelo for a young center (Trouba is a negative asset with his contract). Those are the only two assets we have that can really get it done, so it’s not like fans don’t like DeAngelo. They are (somewhat) similar players. However, Fox is younger, more cost-controlled, and possibly has higher potential, which makes DeAngelo the odd man out for some fans (not for me though).

He's definitely going to be looking for that 5M-7M contract with term. Anything less will require arbitration and should that come to pass a lot of the posters here will be singing a different tune.
L. DeAngelo is a team player.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
let’s not kid ourselves he doesn’t play any defence.
Very fake news. You’re going along with the narrative instead of either watching him play or doing your research. Stop saying shit like it’s a fact when you don’t know what you’re talking about. The fact is he has good gap control. He has a pretty good stick. He’s very good at zone exits. He doesn’t mind playing the body. The problem is he is not strong enough in front of the net. The other issue is that he sometimes gets caught out of position. Before this season it was a big problem, but he is slowly improving. I didn’t see it as much this season. I still would say that he’s inconsistent defensively, but he’s getting better and he’s certainly not bad. It’s just that his mistakes get magnified because of his reputation and his label as an offensive defenseman.

I will admit that he wasn’t great during the play-ins, but neither was Fox (who has the reputation of being great defensively), and neither was 95% of the team. And he was injured.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
His numbers have trended up the last 2 years, scoring at a 40 point pace in 2019 and he scored 80 points in a season in junior. There’s no reason for anyone who watches him play to think that he’s a “one-hit-wonder.”

This logic used by people who either don’t watch him play, don’t like him because of his political beliefs and refer to the Aho clip to overstate defensive deficiency.

Yes, his defense needs work. No, it’s not as bad as you think because of one clip. No, he’s not a roamer. His defensive zone exit and offensive zone entry numbers are some of the best in the league regardless of position and he was tied for 3rd in defensive scoring at ES, so he’s not a PP point compiler. We don’t know if he’s a 60+ point defender going forward, but to act like 50+ is out of reach for him is disingenuous, at best.
I know you and I are both Rangers fans and it’s hard to be unbiased, but you did about as good a job as any in analyzing DeAngelo objectively.

Couldn’t agree more about the Aho play. My God do the haters love to constantly bring it up.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I know you and I are both Rangers fans and it’s hard to be unbiased, but you did about as good a job as any in analyzing DeAngelo objectively.

Couldn’t agree more about the Aho play. My God do the haters love to constantly bring it up.

I’m just tired of hearing the same regurgitated bullshit from fans of other teams who think they know more about our own team’s players than we do.

It’s a time old issue with people on here.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I’m just tired of hearing the same regurgitated bullshit from fans of other teams who think they know more about our own team’s players than we do.

It’s a time old issue with people on here.
I’m relatively new to hf and I also don’t spend a lot of time on the main boards, so I wasn’t aware of this. Interesting. Is this a thing with other teams too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->