Value of: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Ahhh, there it is. I was waiting for it.

This is literally all the proof one needs to realize you don’t watch DeAngelo.

There’s this common misconception from people like yourself who believe Tony’s a roaming dmen on the ice that thinks he’s a 4th forward and constantly gets caught out of position.

That couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s Fake News. It’s an attempt to make pretend you watch him and know about his shortcomings.
I'm not arguing stat lines alone. I think you need to actually watch more of EG to compare because I'm fairly certain you're only familiar with TD's game

I'm talking about TD constantly jumping down to the goal line and crease for a lot of his goals. he puts himself, very often, deep into the play, 200ft away from his own net, consistently and that is something won't continue to fly for long in the NHL and there are plenty of clips to support that claim

but argue all you want and tell other people they don't watch hockey across the NHL too. a lot of other fanbases seem to be familiar with his deficiencies too and yet they're all wrong and you're right, right?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

You can't argue he doesn't roam up ice with little defensive responsibility that coaches will want to reign in. A lot of these plays, while they result in goals, are going to told by coaching staffs to cool it.

Im going to ignore OT 3v3 goals and power play goals because his play will be curbed by coaches for 5v5 play

1st goal of the video, if that play is missed or the puck jumps over his stick, Buffalo has a 2 on 1 going the other way as NYR have 4 players below the offensive circles

Goal at 1:48 is another HUGE gamble that resulted in a play but a missed pass or stickhandle flub and is 2 on 0 going the other way for NJ as he is the fifth NYR player down at the circles or lower

Goal at 2:48 vs WAS again if that play doesnt result in a goal its a 2 on 1 the other way for WAS as TDA makes himself the 4th player at the circles or lower again

again, if you dont think the defensive coaches lose their mind over this stuff, they do. the end results on these specific plays were good, but the risk over time is going to give up grade A scoring odd man chances the other way more often than they will result in TDA scoring goals over the course of a season. while you can admire the offensive instincts on those plays, the coaches will loathe the defensive responsibility of those plays

Its one of the main doghouse moves that Joel Quenneville tabooed for his entire tenure in Chicago, he almost never wanted his dmen in the play deeper than the half walls, under no circumstances, and it won them 3 cups. if they did, they rode the bench or eventually were scratched/traded their way out of Chicago

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm not arguing stat lines alone. I think you need to actually watch more of EG to compare because I'm fairly certain you're only familiar with TD's game

I'm talking about TD constantly jumping down to the goal line and crease for a lot of his goals. he puts himself, very often, deep into the play, 200ft away from his own net, consistently and that is something won't continue to fly for long in the NHL and there are plenty of clips to support that claim

but argue all you want and tell other people they don't watch hockey across the NHL too. a lot of other fanbases seem to be familiar with his deficiencies too and yet they're all wrong and you're right, right?

You can't argue he doesn't roam up ice with little defensive responsibility that coaches will want to reign in. A lot of these plays, while they result in goals, are going to told by coaching staffs to cool it.

Im going to ignore OT 3v3 goals and power play goals because his play will be curbed by coaches for 5v5 play

1st goal of the video, if that play is missed or the puck jumps over his stick, Buffalo has a 2 on 1 going the other way as NYR have 4 players below the offensive circles

Goal at 1:48 is another HUGE gamble that resulted in a play but a missed pass or stickhandle flub and is 2 on 0 going the other way for NJ as he is the fifth NYR player down at the circles or lower

Goal at 2:48 vs WAS again if that play doesnt result in a goal its a 2 on 1 the other way for WAS as TDA makes himself the 4th player at the circles or lower again

again, if you dont think the defensive coaches lose their mind over this stuff, they do. the end results on these specific plays were good, but the risk over time is going to give up grade A scoring odd man chances the other way more often than they will result in TDA scoring goals over the course of a season. while you can admire the offensive instincts on those plays, the coaches will loathe the defensive responsibility of those plays

Its one of the main doghouse moves that Joel Quenneville tabooed for his entire tenure in Chicago, he almost never wanted his dmen in the play deeper than the half walls, under no circumstances, and it won them 3 cups. if they did, they rode the bench or eventually were scratched/traded their way out of Chicago

The bolded statement you made that I quoted has nothing to do with Chicago or Gustafsson.

A 3 minute YouTube video doesn’t mean shit when you’re evaluating a player.

You can use as many words as you’d like to try and justify the wrong statement you made. I see right through it. And Rangers fans that regularly watch the team will tell you it’s wrong.

ADA does have some warts in his own zone. However, labeling him as a roamer who gets caught up ice a lot is straight up nonsense.

Man Up, admit you said something wrong and just move on instead of trying to make pretend you know much about DeAngelo.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The bolded statement you made that I quoted has nothing to do with Chicago or Gustafsson.

A 3 minute YouTube video doesn’t mean shit when you’re evaluating a player.

You can use as many words as you’d like to try and justify the wrong statement you made. I see right through it. And Rangers fans that regularly watch the team will tell you it’s wrong.

ADA does have some warts in his own zone. However, labeling him as a roamer who gets caught up ice a lot is straight up nonsense.

Man Up, admit you said something wrong and just move on instead of trying to make pretend you know much about DeAngelo.
lol ok it's very clear what color your glasses are and can't objectively assess a player. it was brutally obvious in the Carolina series too but we can pretend it wasn't. there's oceanfront property in Arizona with your name on it if you refuse to constantly see him deep in the offensive zone aka, a roamer

that's all, carry on

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
lol ok it's very clear what color your glasses are and can't objectively assess a player. it was brutally obvious in the Carolina series too but we can pretend it wasn't. there's oceanfront property in Arizona with your name on it if you refuse to constantly see him deep in the offensive zone aka, a roamer

that's all, carry on
There are no rose colored glasses. I’ve acknowledged Tony has his warts in his own zone. I’m not making him out to be a great two-way dmen.

You’re inaccurately labeling him as something he’s not.

If you did watch the Carolina series, you would know ADA was playing with an injured hamstring.

How many Rangers games did you catch this year..?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
No way, even Boeser doesn’t have the value of DeAngelo. The only players I’d move DeAngelo for on the Canucks roster are Pettersson or Hughes which obviously isn’t happening :laugh:
I am interested in Virtanen though. What would you say it would take for the Rangers to land Virtanen? I heard some people in Vancouver media say he’s only worth a 5th round pick which sounds ridiculous to me. I think Andersson might be a good option for Vancouver as he’s friends with Pete
You guys better keep him then. Holy overestimation, Batman.

McLeafy

Sep 26, 2014
Can't see nor don't want nothing to do with Tony.

Came off a career year on a contract year. Can be an absolute disaster in the long term if this was an outlier, which imo has a fair possiblity. I just don't see him replicating that point pace next season, if he did he would be a premier Ofd and I doubt there would be anyone entertaining in moving him if rangers fans thought that.

This looks like a sell high and sell because of contract demands

He's definitely going to be looking for that 5M-7M contract with term. Anything less will require arbitration and should that come to pass a lot of the posters here will be singing a different tune.

Last edited:

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
The last time the Rangers traded a 24-year-old defenseman who had just finished top-5 in scoring he ended up in the f***ing Hall of Fame. Hopefully the franchise has learned its lesson.
False, false, false equivalency. The only resemblance between the two players is which side they shoot.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just want to add that another thread seeking TOR to acquire Parayko was locked; thoroughly rejected, worse still b'c it hoped to get him on the cheap.

As that relates here.
Exceptional ufa APieterangelo aside, Deangelo is the top mark of who is potentially available via trade.

Clubs saying we will only take shutdown style D are forced to recognize the market, saying little if any of that supply is available. Demand either stands pat and no deal, or it substitutes the closest available.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Every rangers fan I know personally is 100% ready to move on from deangelo. They complain he can’t play defense. 3 playoff games, -6 and was completely posterized by Aho in the last game. Add in that he needs a new contract, I just don’t think he is worth as much as some people might think
Lol are you serious? Most fans love him. At least 70-75%. He’s inconsistent defensively, but he’s not bad. And if you’re going to use plus-minus, at least be honest and mention that he was a +12 during this regular season and a +6 last season, instead of focusing on a THREE GAME sample size when he was playing INJURED.

I absolutely love how haters bring up that Aho play every time because they don’t have any evidence that he’s actually bad. Getting walked happens to even the best defensemen, and this was against an elite stickhandler in Aho, and as I mentioned earlier, he was playing hurt. Still salty about that hat trick (along with 2 amazing primary assists) he scored against the Devils?

Last edited:

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008

that's all, carry on
Your making a strange argument because ADA’s ability to jump into a play and produce offense is actually what makes him so good. It’s never perfect, for anyone, but there’s no constant issue with his game on this. Also there’s usually a calculated switch between whoever joins the rush and stays back when a defenseman jumps the play, so this isn’t very unique in the game but very few dmen can actually join a rush and assist the play.

The issue he has defensively is one and one in the dzone. He doesn’t have the height to bully anyone out of the way and he can struggle to defend quality forwards. It’s a deficiency for sure and hopefully one he can work on.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It’s a shtick.

He’s in EVERY Ranger thread posting the same stupid shit about players he doesn’t watch. He’s been doing this for years.

I’ve literally challenged him multiple times in the past to come into HFNYR game threads on days that the Blackhawks aren’t playing and watch the games. He’s never followed through.

He doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to any team but the Blackhawks.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
No way, even Boeser doesn’t have the value of DeAngelo. The only players I’d move DeAngelo for on the Canucks roster are Pettersson or Hughes which obviously isn’t happening :laugh:
I am interested in Virtanen though. What would you say it would take for the Rangers to land Virtanen? I heard some people in Vancouver media say he’s only worth a 5th round pick which sounds ridiculous to me. I think Andersson might be a good option for Vancouver as he’s friends with Pete

Horvat has triple the value of this bum. Boeser would turn him inside out like Aho did

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Can't see nor don't want nothing to do with Tony.

Came off a career year on a contract year. Can be an absolute disaster in the long term if this was an outlier, which imo has a fair possiblity. I just don't see him replicating that point pace next season, if he did he would be a premier Ofd and I doubt there would be anyone entertaining in moving him if rangers fans thought that.

This looks like a sell high and sell because of contract demands

He's definitely going to be looking for that 5M-7M contract with term. Anything less will require arbitration and should that come to pass a lot of the posters here will be singing a different tune.

I hear ya, Leafs can't afford another Morgan Rielly.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Your making a strange argument because ADA’s ability to jump into a play and produce offense is actually what makes him so good. It’s never perfect, for anyone, but there’s no constant issue with his game on this. Also there’s usually a calculated switch between whoever joins the rush and stays back when a defenseman jumps the play, so this isn’t very unique in the game but very few dmen can actually join a rush and assist the play.

The issue he has defensively is one and one in the dzone. He doesn’t have the height to bully anyone out of the way and he can struggle to defend quality forwards. It’s a deficiency for sure and hopefully one he can work on.

It's curious when DeAngelo jumps into the offense, it's a bad thing, but when Hedman, Makar, Hughes, Karlsson, Rielly do it, its magical.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Question to Ranger fans with Tony D being mentioned. Why to rangers D-men seem to underperform and then when they are traded they get better. Fox is the only d guys over last couple of years that plays to his potential.

Pionk and Graves got better. Skeji so far so good for canes. Trouba a bit of a down year.

Are the Ranger d coaches that bad?
Yes but they've shaked things up a bit and Martin should help out a lot more than Ruff ever could

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad