Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He's next level bad most of the year. He's had a few good moments this series though, while Tatar really just flounders.

yeah... neither should anything but spare part minutes... but i think Tatar brings a little more to the transition game, and Evans a bigger net positive at C. but splitting hairs btw Tatar/Staal as to who is more useless

Reactions: azcanuck

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Any Montreal fan have an honest objective opinion on the player? What's the deal with Tatar.

Seeing the scratches in the playoffs is worrying, may be an offseason target to play with McDavid or Draisaitl.

For the most part over the last three years he was part of a line with Danault and Gallagher who were very good defensively, while also putting up solid ES point totals.

He's got good hands, a decent shot and is a good passer but he's smaller, soft and doesn't have the speed to compensate.. which doesn't translate well come playoff time.

Reactions: Pomee

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
yeah... neither should anything but spare part minutes... but i think Tatar brings a little more to the transition game, and Evans a bigger net positive at C. but splitting hairs btw Tatar/Staal as to who is more useless
Evans played around 26 minutes last game. He's been a great addition to the line of Danault, even better than Gallagher who is really struggling.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Any Montreal fan have an honest objective opinion on the player? What's the deal with Tatar.

Seeing the scratches in the playoffs is worrying, may be an offseason target to play with McDavid or Draisaitl.

I've rarely seen a guy produce so much with so many of his points being irrelevant. He's definitely not a clutch player.

He's a very decent complementary player though. Think of him as some kind of Gustav Nyquist. Not sure you want to pay him more than 5M a year on a 3 years deal.

In a case like Edmonton, which is a very top-heavy team, I think he'd be a fine addition. Just don't expect any miracles from him when the game is on the line.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Have we seen the last of Tatar as a Hab? UFA in a month and a healthy scratch... feels like this is the end.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal

I mean he'd get some points for sure playing on your top line, but not sure he's what you're looking for the playoffs.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Have we seen the last of Tatar as a Hab? UFA in a month and a healthy scratch... feels like this is the end.

Was scratched in the PO with Vegas too. Seems like a good person and an ok season performer but a terrible playoffs one. Some sort of very poor man Marner if you wish

He should be gone as far as i'm concerned. Re-signing him would be a waste of money imho

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

You do not want him playing with those two. He won’t fit with Connor because he is slow and plays East-West.

Maybe he’d play okay with Draisaitl, but I would think Drai needs someone to fight for the puck and find him in open ice since he’s more of a sniper. Tatar is too soft for that.

Not a good fit at all.

Keep in mind that the Habs have trouble scoring goals and all he provides to a team is offence, yet he’s being scratched. That’s all you need to know about him. If the Oilers have money to spend on a winger, why not go for Hyman? He’d be a much better fit with Connor.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans played around 26 minutes last game. He's been a great addition to the line of Danault, even better than Gallagher who is really struggling.

I wonder if we don't swap Byron and Gallagher at some point and try:

Byron-Danault-Evans as the shutdown line
Anderson-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher as a secondary offensive line.

I would certainly start out by trying Byron-Danault-Evans right after a pp.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
IMO Tatar should slot back into the lineup against the Jets. Gameplan is going to look a little different than against the top-heavy Leafs and we should be able to control the play a little bit more and generate more offensive opportunities. I'd rather have Tatar get those looks instead of Evans.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Who are you shutting down though? The Jets aren’t the Leafs. If you try to shut down the Scheifele line, you still have to deal with PLD, Stastny and Ehlers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Who are you shutting down though? The Jets aren’t the Leafs. If you try to shut down the Scheifele line, you still have to deal with PLD, Stastny and Ehlers.

Yeah it will be interesting to see who DD uses against the Ehlers line. Danault will be matched against Sheifele-Connor

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah it will be interesting to see who DD uses against the Ehlers line. Danault will be matched against Sheifele-Connor

It’s tough to matchup against two lines. I think he’d feel comfortable putting any line against Ehlers. If not, the KK with Byron and Anderson makes a lot of sense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’s tough to matchup against two lines. I think he’d feel comfortable putting any line against Ehlers. If not, the KK with Byron and Anderson makes a lot of sense.

I think normally it would be Suzuki. But now that Caufield's on that line, we'll see.

I've been disappointed with Anderson's defensive awareness.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
His turnovers and inability to accept a pass are what worries me. He's got loads of talent, something is really missing from him the last couple months

Reactions: Runner77

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
During a Game 7 intermission, Martin Maguire said something along the lines of that the turnover he had in his last game would be his last as a Hab.

He's pretty well connected. Thinking Tatar is scratched for the duration.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Not a bad idea but I think in trying to achieve balance you use Byron on a line where he is the primary defensive responsibility.
It's all worked so far.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Great depth to have at this point.

Yep. As much as he's not coming back next year and I'm totally fine with it. It's nice to have him fresh. He's been a fairly miserable playoff performer up until now but he's still plenty talented and can score a timely goal and if he has an ounce of pride I'm sure he'd want to redeem himself.

Great problem to have to be able to sit a 25+ goal guy and possibly bring him in mid series.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You do not want him playing with those two. He won’t fit with Connor because he is slow and plays East-West.

Maybe he’d play okay with Draisaitl, but I would think Drai needs someone to fight for the puck and find him in open ice since he’s more of a sniper. Tatar is too soft for that.

Not a good fit at all.

Keep in mind that the Habs have trouble scoring goals and all he provides to a team is offence, yet he’s being scratched. That’s all you need to know about him. If the Oilers have money to spend on a winger, why not go for Hyman? He’d be a much better fit with Connor.

Fully disagreeing here, I believe Draisaitl and Tatar could be a very nice duo. Tatar has a good offensive IQ, can skate the perimeter and find openings for Draisaitl, he knows how to keep the puck and would fit quite well with him in my opinion.

Regarding McDavid, I am always more cautious, because I am not not sure who he really needs to play better, he seems to skate so quickly that nobody can follow him anyway ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad