Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We will see what he’s made of now that he knows he was going to be scratched. We know how Gallagher reacted when people called him out last year. If Tatar wants any semblance of a long term contract from a team this summer, he needs to start playing like he cares.

Tatar could really redeem himself if he had a little fire in his belly, enough to want to stick it to Vegas, who used to own his rights, benched him in the playoffs and then turned him into a salary dump in the Pacioretty deal.

Does he have that fire? Probably not.

Reactions: Miller Time

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Leading scorer last year. He has a few bad playoff games and the majority of you write him off. Now Jake Evans is better than him and it is blasphemy to think Tatar is better than Lehkonen. Hilarity at its finest.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Leading scorer last year. He has a few bad playoff games and the majority of you write him off. Now Jake Evans is better than him and it is blasphemy to think Tatar is better than Lehkonen. Hilarity at its finest.

I think a lot of it depends on the type of role we need on our lines. Gallagher and Danault benefit playing with Lekhonen right now because they're our main defensive line.

But let's say Caufield/Toffoli gets injuried. I'd assume they would want to put Tatar there before Evans/Lehkonen. Maybe I'm wrong and they'd still put those guys ahead, but I think the context matters.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...he's been shyte for most of the season, amigo; even got benched earlier in the season for piss poor play...he hasn't been the player he was in the last couple regular seasons...his days in Montreal are numbered...

CoopersFalls

Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
...he's been shyte for most of the season, amigo; even got benched earlier in the season for piss poor play...he hasn't been the player he was in the last couple regular seasons...his days in Montreal are numbered...

I watch every game. I see effort in him, don't know what you all are watching. He was scratched by Vegas in the playoffs, so now the consensus is he must not be a playoff performer. He was the Conn Smythe equivalent in the AHL, so I don't buy that garbage narrative. He's struggled, so he's sat. Throw him back in there and see what he's got. Would take him in my lineup over Evans and Lehkonen 1000 times out of 1000.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I watch every game. I see effort in him, don't know what you all are watching. He was scratched by Vegas in the playoffs, so now the consensus is he must not be a playoff performer. He was the Conn Smythe equivalent in the AHL, so I don't buy that garbage narrative. He's struggled, so he's sat. Throw him back in there and see what he's got. Would take him in my lineup over Evans and Lehkonen 1000 times out of 1000.
Two very different franchises have now healthy scratched Tatar during playoffs 2 of the past 3 yrs. I dont think you can call fans "blind", he is definately as soft as they come. Ill keep Lehks ty

Only player tatar "might" be able to replace is Byron. At best.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Vegas spend a 1st 2nd and a 3rd for him in a playoff run , went healthy scratch
was traded as cap dump for Pacio + Suzuki
Was invisible last bubble
Invisible again this season and now healthy scratch for like 8 games now.

''few bad playoffs''

dudes a choker

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

I see effort too. He seems to be running in a stretch of very bad puck luck. I would try him too to see if he can stick it to his old team. Im sure he would play with a chip on his shoulder

Reactions: CoopersFalls

CoopersFalls

Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I see effort too. He seems to be running in a stretch of very bad puck luck. I would try him too to see if he can stick it to his old team. Im sure he would play with a chip on his shoulder

Glad I'm not the only one. Two coaches scratched him in the playoffs though (for long stretches because the team keeps winning), so he must suck! :naughty:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

And I suppose the coaching staff are also clueless for benching him multiple times now. If you were better able to understand what you are seeing then you wouldn't need to rely on stats and would feel far less confused.

Tatar has been awful for most of the season and for the time that he played in the playoffs. If it wasn't blindingly obvious that Evans and Lehkonen have been far more effective then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you should follow the Leafs as they have plenty of regular season stat darlings who curl up in the fetal position in the playoffs. Hey, they might even sign Tatar.......

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Luckily for common reasoning "watching every game" doesnt automatically give you "the eye" despite how much smarter you somehow think you are over NHL coaches.
And "the eye" says right now that Tatars been stinking up the joint for a solid year now + his last 3 playoffs.
Its 0 surprise since hes been scratched its helped the team rattle off 7 straight playoff wins with his replacements scoring 3 huge goals in a 4 game series sweep.
Right now I take the Two 6" great forechecking and excellent PKers 1000000 times out of 1000000 over the the tiny weak 5"10 powerplay suffocating perennial playoff no show-er.
It's really not complicated.
The man simply hurts playoff teams chances of winning.
It's going to be great to liberate that salary moving forward.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

More like he's never been good in playoffs. 6 goals and 12 points in 40 playoffs games despite playing most of those games in the top 6. That's abysmal. Believe it or not that's actually worst than AG playoffs stats. AK has more goals in playoffs than Tatar has points and he played only 9 more games. 40 games is starting to be a relatively significant sample size.

Reactions: Miller Time

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
He had his shot, staff felt someone else could contribute more to the team AND his replacements did exactly that. They both provided more to the team.
If the Habs have a couple F injuries I hope he steps in and steps up helping the team.
But as of now I see no reason he replaces any of the 12 Fs playing or Evans if he gets healthy

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He doesn’t have a 2nd gear, won’t get into the dirty areas, won’t forecheck, doesn’t really backcheck he’s basically Drouin

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Imagine fans thinking you need to have the motivation of playing against a former team in the Stanley Cup Semi final to do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad