Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
so you'd protect Kulak and not Mete in the expansion draft? I just need to get this straight for my files.
Kulak is superior. He’s a significantly better hockey player. All Mete has over him is super speed.

Mete:

- Turbo Speed
- Muffin Shot
- Physically Challenged
- Good Defensively
- Midget

Nothing special at all.. Very “meh” player

Last edited by a moderator:

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I knew we had a bad team but not bad enough to protect Kulak. God we are awful.

I'm going to quietly climb onto the back seats in the Kulak hype bus. He delivered consistently well next to Petry and the two of them are a solid 2nd pairing. Kulak is a genuine 2-way defenceman on a team-friendly deal and, until such time as we land a Karlsson or one of our D prospects blooms into a first pairing stud, Kulak is an asset in the top 4 D rather than a liability.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I knew we had a bad team but not bad enough to protect Kulak. God we are awful.
Wait and see how much better he will be next season, last year he was getting better every week. He has a good hockey brain and he’s never been given this type of opportunity before.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs are set at center with the addition of Poehling and Suzuki, although Suzuki might be better as a playmaking wing, They need a dependable L Dman. Mete is too fraguile as well sa inept both offensively and defensively. The Bruins and Bolts (among others) will devour him up and spit out the remains.. Nor is he capable offensively. He's dispensable, as is Hudon. I'd gladly trade both of them for one sec2nd rounder.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Habs are set at center with the addition of Poehling and Suzuki, although Suzuki might be better as a playmaking wing, They need a dependable L Dman. Mete is too fraguile as well sa inept both offensively and defensively. The Bruins and Bolts (among others) will devour him up and spit out the remains.. Nor is he capable offensively. He's dispensable, as is Hudon. I'd gladly trade both of them for one sec2nd rounder.

Jeez.... I get the reality that our LD talent is thin.... But to claim Mete is worth a 2nd at this point? That just silly, short sighted, and woefully premature.

Kid is only just turned 21, and has earned 120 NHL games already, despite being undersized & playing a position that normally takes longer for players to adjust to as NHL pros.

Of the entire 2016 draft class, only 12 players have played more games, 9 of them 1st Rd picks (11 picked ahead of him)... Of that, only 3 of them Dmen (including Sergachev).

Mete may well prove to be not good enough as a top 4 Dman for a cup chasing team, time will tell.
But at this point, his play only suggests much greater things to come.
Trading him for anything short of a huge overpayment would be plain stupid.
He's got Rafalski-type upside (who, at the same age, was 5 years away from even making the NHL), and this in an era far more conducive to smaller, skilled Dmen.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
For a 2019 2nd round pick it’s a deal for me too. There is some great talented players in the 2nd round next draft. I like Mete a lot, good kid, but we can easily move on from him, and we can easily draft a better NHLer if we evaluate properly.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For a 2019 2nd round pick it’s a deal for me too. There is some great talented players in the 2nd round next draft. I like Mete a lot, good kid, but we can easily move on from him, and we can easily draft a better NHLer if we evaluate properly.

yes because there is not 1 team in the league that has drafted a player of Mete's quality every year in the 2nd round, smh...

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I'm not ready to give up on Mete. He does a lot of things well. Defense has improved especially his gap control. Hes also really improved in the transition game and can skate with the puck. He was clearly rushed into the NHL and is learning on the fly. Hes apparently working on his shot this summer and I think once he gets the monkey off his back (first goal) things will fall into place for him. Is he a long term 1st pairing Dman? No I dont think so but he can be a top six on a Stanley cup winning team in my opinion.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
yes because there is not 1 team in the league that has drafted a player of Mete's quality every year in the 2nd round, smh...
I think you are over evaluating him, and the only reason he ever got the chance to play so much with us is because of Bergevin’s horrible defense management. Mete’s upside is limited, because his offense is lacking, and he’s easily pushed around, it will improve for him, but I don’t believe he will ever be good enough to be a real top 4 threat, and I don’t care much to have a midget on the bottom pairing.. He would struggle in the playoffs imo.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It was an unknown information for me too. That’s a popular sport in summer. A training. A hobby. This two combined on one.
Not just a hobby his team in the Czech republic has won the last three championships supposedly.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wait and see how much better he will be next season, last year he was getting better every week. He has a good hockey brain and he’s never been given this type of opportunity before.

So you think 25 year old Kulak can still be significantly better but just turned 21 yesterday Mete won't? And this is a Mete who already is playing more minutes and tougher situations than said Kulak. Seems like they tried one on the top pairing and didn't work too well. They tried the other one and he stuck. We all know which is which.

Reactions: LaP

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Kulak is superior. He’s a significantly better hockey player. All Mete has over him is super speed.

Mete:

- Turbo Speed
- Muffin Shot
- Physically Challenged
- Good Defensively
- Midget

Nothing special at all.. Very “meh” player

I agree. Over-hyped.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think you are over evaluating him, and the only reason he ever got the chance to play so much with us is because of Bergevin’s horrible defense management. Mete’s upside is limited, because his offense is lacking, and he’s easily pushed around, it will improve for him, but I don’t believe he will ever be good enough to be a real top 4 threat, and I don’t care much to have a midget on the bottom pairing.. He would struggle in the playoffs imo.

In his mind he's going to be a top pairing D, as he's stated in recent interviews, and he says he's going to do everything he can to get to that level. I'll bookmark your post and we'll revisit it over the next few years. When he's 25, everything should be decided.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
So you think 25 year old Kulak can still be significantly better but just turned 21 yesterday Mete won't? And this is a Mete who already is playing more minutes and tougher situations than said Kulak. Seems like they tried one on the top pairing and didn't work too well. They tried the other one and he stuck. We all know which is which.
Mete will get better, but he doesn’t have the toolbox nor does he have many tools to put in there. He’ll never be a Torey Krug no matter how much we wish it. His ceiling is probably somewhere around 50-60% Krug. Why do we have to let our love for our players cloud our judgement? You wouldn’t look at Mete twice if he was a Bruin, you would be happy to play against him because he’s pretty easy to play against when you lean on him.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
In his mind he's going to be a top pairing D, as he's stated in recent interviews, and he says he's going to do everything he can to get to that level. I'll bookmark your post and we'll revisit it over the next few years. When he's 25, everything should be decided.
He won’t be with us at 25.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Mete will get better, but he doesn’t have the toolbox nor does he have many tools to put in there. He’ll never be a Torey Krug no matter how much we wish it. His ceiling is probably somewhere around 50-60% Krug. Why do we have to let our love for our players cloud our judgement? You wouldn’t look at Mete twice if he was a Bruin, you would be happy to play against him because he’s pretty easy to play against when you lean on him.

Who's talking about Krug? I'm talking about Brett freaking Kulak!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Mete has his limitations but he and Weber were a great pairing for us last year. Same with Kulak and Petry. We just need to get a better combo on that last pairing.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Who's talking about Krug? I'm talking about Brett freaking Kulak!
Brett freaking Kulak is twice the player Mete will ever be. Brett has everything going for him, he’s complete, does everything well, and he’s 6’2” . So go ahead and raise your expectations with Mete, I get it, he’s ours, he’s an underdog, he’s a great kid, etc etc etc.. But the truth is that he’s a weak midget with a muffin shot, he’s fast like the wind, but that’s all he has going for him. I hope he becomes a Torey Krug lite but he won’t, maybe extra lite. You’re putting your foot in your mouth big time with Kulak here, did you even watch him play last season? He was our best LW by far and kept on improving every week.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I actually think Mete is a smart defenman who can move the puck.

I'm actually really curious to see how things go for him once he gets that first goal out of the way. It's gotta be mental by now. He just does too many things well for him not to be at least somewhat of an offensive producer.

Kulak has been good. I always appreciate having some scoring ability on the lower pairs. I like his speed, and he moves the puck reasonably well.

I still believe Mete got the much higher ceiling though.

Reactions: HOPE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad