Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They better fire Chiarelli first, though.
Keep old stupid running the team, we can get more that way. I mean any 'hockey guy' that would do Hall for Larsson... , then bring the only dman who your franchise superstar hates onto the team...who knows what we can get.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Stopped reading after 'Suzuki is a superstar in the making'.

Get a grip.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
if bargainbin cares about character, he should keep tatar instead of trading him. players with his attitude are great for the lockerroom, but can see bargainbin giving him a stupid contract. so not sure how to play this as i like tartar...but the future contract is frightening for a rebuilding team.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
if bargainbin cares about character, he should keep tatar instead of trading him. players with his attitude are great for the lockerroom, but can see bargainbin giving him a stupid contract. so not sure how to play this as i like tartar...but the future contract is frightening for a rebuilding team.

Tatar has 2 more seasons after this one, and we couldnt extend him even if we wanted for another 1.5 years, no panic over Tatar.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Tatar has 2 more seasons after this one, and we couldnt extend him even if we wanted for another 1.5 years, no panic over Tatar.
oh right he has a few more seasons. he's a keeper then imo, unless we can get a nice overpayment.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
oh right he has a few more seasons. he's a keeper then imo, unless we can get a nice overpayment.

MON has two more years for Tatar at only 4.8 Cap because Vegas is paying 500K of his 5.3M contract until the end of it! Tatar's case, other than that he is younger than Petry (28 VS 31) isn't very different the the veteran D when it comes to having ways of establishing an even higher trade value with a contender this season.

By holding 2.4M from Tatar's remaining Cap hit for two more years after this one. MON would be providing a contender with a veteran top-6 scorer, realistically good for 25 goals and 50 points, playing a two-way game, capable of displaying some speed and good for three cracks at a Cup for next to nothing at 2.4M towards that team's Cap.

How much more valuable would that be for a Cap-strapped team with star youngsters paid through the roof (TOR, EDM, etc.)?

If EDM is in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline, given their precarious Cap situation going forward, just how valuable would Tatar be for them as a speedy veteran scoring winger that can process the game at high speed alongside McDavid?

Would Tatar at 2,4M and Kulak not be worth the more expensive Nurse and a late 1st rounder? I'd consider giving Mete instead if they added a second rounder and a third rounder. Then, I'd really try to land Gardiner as a UFA.

In the short term, the D could look like this:

Gardiner - Weber
Nurse - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Fleury

while Brook played big minutes in Laval and romaine played an expanded role in the KH: for CSKA Moscow.

In two years, the D could be:

Gardiner - Weber
Nurse - Petry
Romanov - Brook

Juulsen, Fleury

and perhaps we could trade Juulsen as part of a package to upgrade our forward situation.

IMO, a D like the last one projected just above has three sets of puck-moving Ds with a more offensive element and a more defensive element on each pairing to complement the Ds.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I don't follow. The Sabres had the 1st overall. What would make them think there was a possibility that Dahlin wouldn't be available? Dahlin was always available to the Sabres. Unless you're using stealth sarcasm.
Posters always try to make it seem like they know something others don't know after the fact. I've seen people mention that they know for a fact Villardi+ or whatever from LAK was offered for Pacioretty, etc. Already as unfounded or ridiculous as these "facts" may seem (yeah, yeah I know there was a deal in place with LAK, but who knows what were the pieces coming back), none have been as ridiculous as the poster I quoted who said he knew for a fact that the Habs had a deal to acquire the 11th and 12th overall picks from the Isles.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's a good reminder of how many balls are in the air during any deal, for every GM. Every trade, every UFA signing, every draft pick -- behind the end result we see are multiple options we don't see.

That's why I dislike calling a trade or signing "Lucky", because it makes it sound like it was accidental, or the GM tossed a dart. The reality is that having multiple alternatives is just how it works. Every deal ever made has another deal that almost, maybe, could've, should've, might've happened, but didn't.

That"s why people are infuriated with a not too distant past where Bergevin thought the best option was Alzner. And a year before, it was Lucic and he did get lucky simply by having Lucic prefering to sign elsewhere and falling back on the much better Radulov.

It's a cautionary tale, among many regarding Bergevin, that is all too quicly forgotten because of a very small measure of success. People desire for a better outcome and fall into wishful thinking way too easily.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That"s why people are infuriated with a not too distant past where Bergevin thought the best option was Alzner. And a year before, it was Lucic and he did get lucky simply by having Lucic prefering to sign elsewhere and falling back on the much better Radulov.

It's a cautionary tale, among many regarding Bergevin, that is all too quicly forgotten because of a very small measure of success. People desire for a better outcome and fall into wishful thinking way too easily.
Meh... the only way getting Radulov was lucky is if every other GM didn't know he was available, and if Radulov walked into Bergevin's office with a signed contract in hand. Bottom line is that he was on the open market and signed with the Habs ahead of other offers (who knows how many). As for Lucic, his story is nothing new. In fact, a majority of UFA contracts end up being bad, so do we really want to open this gigantic can of worms? How many teams are similarly lucky because they failed to sign a player who wasn't worth the money? Too many to count. We've turned Lucic into a unique cautionary tale, but the truth is every GM has dodged similar bullets with various UFAs over the years.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Would Tatar at 2,4M and Kulak not be worth the more expensive Nurse and a late 1st rounder? I'd consider giving Mete instead if they added a second rounder and a third rounder. Then, I'd really try to land Gardiner as a UFA.
I know Chia is a terrible GM, but I don't think he makes this trade. Tatar for Nurse, maybe but doubtful as the Oil need all the help they can get on the backend, but they are struggling for O besides McJesus and Dr Drai. Kulak for a 1st is not happening.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'd be curious to know if this is his best season to date, his overall game, compared to the 14-15 season with the Wings.
2014-15Detroit Red WingsNHL82292756
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He is on pace to similar numbers... maybe better, but I didn't see him play in Detroit. I only saw him a tiny bit in Vegas... - I have seen him play as a Hab. I know he had some "help" called Datsyuk and possibly Zetterberg in Detroit.
I believe this current season to possibly be his best.

Reactions: Pomee

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Integrated himself in a lightening speed. Into his new domain. Embraced this toughest market of the National Hockey League as a bromance. The Eastern Conference suits him admirably.

Visible presences. Brings an laboring side on his farmework that we werent aware of it. Understanding an playsequence and doing the right action can be improved...

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
So much happier seeing Tatar play instead of Pacioretty considering what he brings at a much lower cap-hit... Suzuki is icing on the cake!

Excellent trade by Bergevin at this point in time. BTW, I'd keep him for the 2019/20 season and then re-evaluate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
And his playing style is much more appealing than Patch's... too often, I'd get so pissed watching Pacioretty play! That doesn't happen with Tatar - excellent work ethic!

It’s definitely more inline with our newly discovered style, that’s for sure. He’s a much better fit here than Patches.

Reactions: Fixxer and Pomee

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
With his assist in the second period, he actually just beat his career high of 56 points that he got in the 2014-2015 season in Detroit. Tomas now has 25 goals and 32 assists for a total of 57 points. He may hit 60 points this year!

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Looking to his statistics, it his maybe his best season in NHL. But there is still room for improvements.
Did he played better game as you expected? Or want more from him?
How do you see his future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad