Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's ok but people should wait around 40 games. I mean Benn there Niemi that. Under 40 games is a small sample size. I don't know maybe Tatar really loves Montreal and will revive his career here but the player I saw in Detroit and Vegas (and i saw him playing for those teams significantly more the amount of games he played here) outside of the 2014-2015 season was not a very good top 6 player. I would not hesitate one sec to trade him at the deadline for a 1st if the offer is on the table. I think if we stop the rebuilt now we will do the same mistake we did in 2013. We should totally try to get 1st round pick this year. I've seen pretty much all games of Tatar in playoffs and this is not a guy i would try to retain.

Everyone even among those who want a top-5 pick acknowledge that it would not be enough. You need solid 2nd and 3rd lines to win in the NHL. Tatar is already that for us. If he scores 25, trading him to a contender for a late first and nothing else is more likely going to SLOW the rebuild, not quicken it, at least according to the list of draftees I posted the other day that were 24th overall. It's probably worse if we looked at 29th or 30th.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
not condemned, described...

like Domi, like Armia, Tatar is suddenly another player people have been following for years... some even have Jersey with his name on the back, and I'm not talking Habs jersey obviously... come on now.

When posters choose to follow another team/player, they dont follow McDavix, Kane, OV or Crosby, nope.... they follow the mighty Coyotes or the declining Red Wings without Datsyuk and co. Yup....

I think you may have a point with some here, again mostly those who always defend Bergevin. Personally, I don't claim to have "followed" Tatar. But I watch every game every year, with interest, so I saw him play against the Habs about 22 times, give or take. Then maybe add another 15 games or so against other teams, such as Ottawa or late-night Saturday HNIC games. He was noticeable enough to me as a talented player that it made a little impression. No, I never bought anyone's jersey, but your challenge is decent.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

like Domi, like Armia, Tatar is suddenly another player people have been following for years... some even have Jersey with his name on the back, and I'm not talking Habs jersey obviously... come on now.

When posters choose to follow another team/player, they dont follow McDavix, Kane, OV or Crosby, nope.... they follow the mighty Coyotes or the declining Red Wings without Datsyuk and co. Yup....
Cynicism will give you rheumatism of the heart.. You should be careful.

There are people on this forum who watch the Junior Championships. I'm one of them. And there are other people who follow junior hockey religiously. I'm not one of them. Just go to the draft thread that's a sticky at the top of the page and you'll see many of them posting there. Usually they're the ones who want us to tank year in and year out.

I know when a player catches my eye in juniors I try to catch as many games in the NHL as I can. Sometimes they don't pan out so I stop following them. Domi and Tatar continued to impress me. I never saw Armia in his junior phase but was mildly impressed with the occasionaltimes I saw him with Winnipeg. I have been more impressed with him since the trade.

Your cynicism can make of that what it will.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Come on you're being silly here.

Some people do watch hockey outside of the CH and a some people do have a good memory. Tatar was a top 6 players for the wings for 5 years. That's plenty of time to watch him and notice him. He also played over 20 playoffs game and some people do watch mostly all playoffs games.

You can disagree with others opinions but discarding them on the assumption that they are not watching hockey as much as they pretend is being ridiculous.

My opinion of Tatar did not change over the years. And it will certainly not change after 20 games. I was already calling him and Nyquist average top 6 player you wont win with if they play too much a couple of years ago when they were playing for the Wings. Should i change my disc because he is having a great start for us?

If i'm being proven wrong by Tatar over the next couple of years i'll gladly admit it. Not sure people who pump his tires will admit they were wrong if he falls back to earth like Benn last year and Niemi so far this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Cynicism will give you rheumatism of the heart.. You should be careful.

There are people on this forum who watch the Junior Championships. I'm one of them. And there are other people who follow junior hockey religiously. I'm not one of them. Just go to the draft thread that's a sticky at the top of the page and you'll see many of them posting there. Usually they're the ones who want us to tank year in and year out.

I know when a player catches my eye in juniors I try to catch as many games in the NHL as I can. Sometimes they don't pan out so I stop following them. Domi and Tatar continued to impress me. I never saw Armia in his junior phase but was mildly impressed with the occasionaltimes I saw him with Winnipeg. I have been more impressed with him since the trade.

Your cynicism can make of that what it will.
It's nice to ask others if they remember the play of some players when in reality you just remember a few games a decade ago.

Impressed with Tatar : Bergevin trades for him
impressed with Domi : Bergevin trades for him
impressed with Armia : guess what happens....

Aint that amazing!!!! all three players you were already impressed with were traded for by this very GM, during the same summer no less, ALL three producing/playing at a MUCH higher pace they ever did in the past (that's a coincidence obviously)...

cynism ? yeah more like I don't feel like being told bullshit (actually I don't mind much, just find a way to make it an interesting/funny story).

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Come on you're being silly here.

Some people do watch hockey outside of the CH and a some people do have a good memory. Tatar was a top 6 players for the wings for 5 years. That's plenty of time to watch him and notice him. He also played over 20 playoffs game and some people do watch mostly all playoffs games.

You can disagree with others opinions but discarding them on the assumption that they are not watching hockey as much as they pretend is being ridiculous.
silly ? haha

come on man... it's just coincidence the players traded for by this GM, all in the same summer, ALL having amazing start, all three yup...

(follow up reply already at a "yeah I watched some" level)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
silly ? haha

come on man... it's just coincidence the players traded for by this GM, all in the same summer, ALL having amazing start, all three yup...

(follow up reply already at a "yeah I watched some" level)

Ryder had an amazing start when he came back. Benn had an amazing start. Weise had his moments as a top 6 player he even started a season stronger than Crosby for the first 10 games or so (it was a big story in the media btw). Small sample size is what it is. And it will remain to be what it is for the end of time.

Ryder did 21 points in 27 games when he came back. He did 34 points in 82 games the season after. It doesn't mean it will happen with Tatar. Maybe he is as great as some guys think he is. But it's perfectly understandable that some people are being cautions and wont discard the last 3 seasons already.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ryder had an amazing start when he came back. Benn had an amazing start. Weise had his moments as a top 6 player he even started a season stronger than Crosby for the first 10 games or so (it was a big story in the media btw). Small sample size is what it is. And it will remain to be what it is for the end of time.

Ryder did 21 points in 27 games when he came back. He did 34 points in 82 games the season after.
yup they did, so...

we do what ? pretend we've been following all these Habs players years before they were Habs, all of them ? I mean, I don't know about you but I sure was following them... and all the other Habs before they were in Montreal.

(should have been clear, coincidence as in, coincidence people were following the red hot players, not Peca or Ouellet for example)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
yup they did, so...

we do what ? pretend we've been following all these Habs players years before they were Habs, all of them ? I mean, I don't know about you but I sure was following them... and all the other Habs before they were in Montreal.

I'm not pretending i do watch a lot of hockey specially the playoffs where i watch 2 games a night (wont finish the 2nd game if it's boring and it's midnight). But pretend if you want.

I told people last year about Niemi and they would not listen. I told people about Benn and they would not listen. I told people about Alzner and they would not listen. Doesn't mean i'm right about Tatar (i'v been wrong many times and i will continue to be wrong many times) but from what i've seen of him (sample size is between 40 and 60 games not including this season) he is not a top 6 player you can rely on when the games are a battlefield.

It's an honest opinion of the player you do what you want with it.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not pretending i do watch a lot of hockey specially the playoffs where i watch 2 games a night (wont finish the 2nd game if it's boring and it's midnight). But pretend if you want.

I told people last year about Niemi and they would not listen. I told people about Benn and they would not listen. I told people about Alzner and they would not listen. Doesn't mean i'm right about Tatar (i'v been wrong many times and i will continue to be wrong many times) but from what i've seen of him (sample size is between 40 and 60 games) he is not a top 6 player you can rely on when the games are a battlefield.

It's an honest opinion of the player you do what you want with it.
differece : you're not jumping on the occasion to name the red hot players of the moment.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's nice to ask others if they remember the play of some players when in reality you just remember a few games a decade ago.

Impressed with Tatar : Bergevin trades for him
impressed with Domi : Bergevin trades for him
impressed with Armia : guess what happens....

Aint that amazing!!!! all three players you were already impressed with were traded for by this very GM, during the same summer no less, ALL three producing/playing at a MUCH higher pace they ever did in the past (that's a coincidence obviously)...

cynism ? yeah more like I don't feel like being told bull**** (actually I don't mind much, just find a way to make it an interesting/funny story).
Bergevin also traded for Drouin and I was not impressed and have been real vocal about it. Fit that into your pipe and smoke it. I don't know why I waste my time responding to your inane posts.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin also traded for Drouin and I was not impressed and have been real vocal about it. Fit that into your pipe and smoke it. I don't know why I waste my time responding to your inane posts.

It's too soon to write Drouin off considering his age though. His problem has never been skills but mostly between the ears. Like Ribeiro did with Dallas Drouin might very well figure it out and have a lot of good seasons for us. I just wish we would not have traded Sergachev for him. I really like Sergachev's potential but again it's so far just potential so this trade could still very well be good for us.

The difference between Drouin, Domi and Tatar is two of them are young and can realistically make some progress. Tatar at his age it's much more likely that he's just having a great sequence and will revert to be a 45-50 points players not showing up in playoffs later this year and the next season.

The other two i don't think anyone here really have the knowledge to be sure. Potential is always tricky.

Reactions: dralaf and Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's right. We follow the equipment managers and anyone who wears a suit behind the bench. Cause those are looks most of us can probably emulate. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ECWHSWI

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Shots fired.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's only a water gun.

In that case, practice your delivery, thanks to this ...

2mal8h.gif

Don't be shy. You know you want to. :D

Reactions: Cacaniemi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just picked up the chatter on Twitter.

Good job.

This thing is probably going to become viral -- I'm betting he gets an interview on one of the sports stations sometime this week.

Plus, this is the kind of silliness that the morning guys on 690AM (I'm assuming the likes of Shaun Starr and Connor McKenna probably sift through this site or sites like it) would use as a gimmick, like their foghorn effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad