Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah even a late 1st is a long shot to bring in top talent....

I still can't believe we didn't jump in and beat the Sabres' offer of a 2nd and 4th for 26 year old, 37 goal scorer Skinner. He would have fit in perfectly on this team and given us that extra goal and extra offensive push when we need it.

As we see with Tatar, when their value is low is the time to buy. So many good wingers we passed on were on the market without having to give up major assets (Skinner, Perron, Tatar, Duclair, Sheary, Armia). Plus I still think there was a way to get Domi without giving up Galchenyuk. I was ready to sacrifice Poehling.

The difference between Skinner and Tatar is that Skinner is on the final year of his contract and is said to want big money. It would be quire a risk to hope this is not a one year rental like Alex Tanguay and Robert Lang were.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Having Sauce for another 2 years at $4.8M is solid. No way we should move him unless the return is completely off the charts.

If he likes it here, and continues to provide points and spark, we might (gasp) consider re-signing him at 30 years old if the numbers work out. Heresy, I know.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If he likes it here, and continues to provide points and spark, we might (gasp) consider re-signing him at 30 years old if the numbers work out. Heresy, I know.
For sure. See how his body is holding up at that time and how the prospects are progressing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The difference between Skinner and Tatar is that Skinner is on the final year of his contract and is said to want big money. It would be quire a risk to hope this is not a one year rental like Alex Tanguay and Robert Lang were.

The reason I was ok with giving up a 2nd for Skinner is I expected him to perform the way he's performing. So, if he wanted too much money on a long term deal, I would flip him for a pick at the deadline. I think now the probability is high he gets at least a 1st + a prospect at the deadline. There's always risk, but it seemed pretty sure that 2nd was at least getting turned into a 1st. Now it's probably more. And of a course a 2nd is an asset with a low probability of turning into a top 9 forward or top 4 dman to begin with.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Tatar at this point. Former 30 goal scorer, in his prime, on a team that needs scoring and creativity, two things that he brings every game. This isn't Tomas Vanek guys.
He hasn't been a 30 goal scorer. I got into the same thing with other posters who were claiming Patches was a 40 goal scorer.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

tUi1hVz.gif

IFevauR.gif

Tatar spoof central.

This video is HILARIOUS! Need to stay all season. These guys were drunk as shit.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He hasn't been a 30 goal scorer. I got into the same thing with other posters who were claiming Patches was a 40 goal scorer.

No problem telling the truth. Tatar is a 19-29 goal scorer over the past five seasons. He brings scoring, creativity and energy. Prime Pacioretty was a 30-39 goal scorer relying more on his shot.

Unfortunately, it seems Pacioretty's game has dropped a notch or three. Too bad, the guy battled through very tough injuries in his career and maybe it has taken a toll before age 30.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He has made head scratching moves but you can't deny that he build the Caps into a perennial contender and Vegas is no slouch either. McPhee is a real mystery for me.

So far his track record is he gets you to the top but can't put you over the edge. I'd love to see him win a cup.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So far his track record is he gets you to the top but can't put you over the edge. I'd love to see him win a cup.
I agree especially after the generous gift he handed MB but I want him to win his cup only in 5 years - after we win our fifth in a row.:sarcasm:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I’d trade him at the deadline if he keeps this up. We could get another 1st rounder in what is described as a very deep draft. Just my .02.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Watched him with Vegas last year and thought he was garbage. Contract dump.

My bad....he's been great. Added scoring depth to the wing, is on a great contract, goes to the net, and has great chemistry with Gallagher.

He isn't getting traded. At least not this year.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Buffalo was on his short list?? Wow, think that's a first.

I think it was a combination of location (he’s from a couple hours north of there) and opportunity (pretty much guaranteed top 6 usage...last year Carolina put him on the third line with no help). In a contract year it was a good fit for top offensive minutes with nothing on the roster set outside of Eichel is good.

He’s got to be really thrilled with his choice at this point. If I was walking into ufa status this couldn’t really have gone much better

Reactions: Acadien86

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I like Skinner as a talent though I remember there were some concussion concersn but that may have been from a few years ago. But he didn't really work for where this team was going during the summer. Lets remember that before this start everyone felt this team was not going to be good and was tanking/rebuilding/retooling whatever you want to call it.

Trading assets for a soon to be UFA winger wasn't a move thats in the cards. And you can say you could flip him or whatever but if he gets injured or doesn't produce (lets remember before Domi the montreal scoring tax where players production usually DROPPED when coming here) then what.

No one expected the habs to be sitting 3/4th in the east so with hindsight we should of traded and signed for all these players that are producing. But at the time it didn't make sense.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Watched him with Vegas last year and thought he was garbage. Contract dump.

My bad....he's been great. Added scoring depth to the wing, is on a great contract, goes to the net, and has great chemistry with Gallagher.

He isn't getting traded. At least not this year.
...and still only 27! Won't be 28 until next month. Right in the middle of his prime.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I mean, it's ok to think a player is garbage when he is being garbage. And give him props when he picks up his game.

It's ok but people should wait around 40 games. I mean Benn there Niemi that. Under 40 games is a small sample size. I don't know maybe Tatar really loves Montreal and will revive his career here but the player I saw in Detroit and Vegas (and i saw him playing for those teams significantly more the amount of games he played here) outside of the 2014-2015 season was not a very good top 6 player. I would not hesitate one sec to trade him at the deadline for a 1st if the offer is on the table. I think if we stop the rebuilt now we will do the same mistake we did in 2013. We should totally try to get 1st round pick this year. I've seen pretty much all games of Tatar in playoffs and this is not a guy i would try to retain.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As soon as our 2 minutes of silence were over I exclaimed, “Tommmaas Taattaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!”.

You mean, like this?

Maybe it's going to become a thing like those old Bud Light "wassup" commercials:

Tatahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :laugh:

Reactions: McTusk

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Firstly, Tatar had a bad stretch in Vegas. He was there 28 games. You wanna be cautious and not jump to conclusions about his play yet you are ready to condemn his career based on his stretch in Vegas. I see a little inconsistency here.

Secondly, he played practically all of his NHL career in Detroit. Did you ever notice his play with the Wings? Or are you just looking at his stats in Vegas and assuming he was the same sort of player in Detroit.

Thirdly, this is another player that caught my eye with the Junior Slovakian team. The way he is playing now with the Habs is the way he played with his national team and the Red Wings.

Fourthly, although points matter, with Tatar it's not the points. It's his involvement in the game. Up until he came to Mtl he was a 45 point player. Maybe at 27 he found another gear.
not condemned, described...

like Domi, like Armia, Tatar is suddenly another player people have been following for years... some even have Jersey with his name on the back, and I'm not talking Habs jersey obviously... come on now.

When posters choose to follow another team/player, they dont follow McDavix, Kane, OV or Crosby, nope.... they follow the mighty Coyotes or the declining Red Wings without Datsyuk and co. Yup....

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad