Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Tatar and Petr Mrazek recalled, Tom McCollum to GR

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ellerbe could be the guy at least I hope that is who they are looking at if it is Florida.

Ellerby is best friends with Tootoo, I doubt that would play a factor but you never know. I didnt hear these reports of them scouting though?

If a trade could be worked out around Tatar for Ellerby I would be pretty happy. A 6'5 tough Dman that is a pretty solid number 5 dman right now would be awesome. Kindl could be put in ap ackage as well. Tatar for Elleerby would be a relatively fair trade as well, wouldnt have to add much either way.

Hes young, I highly doubt at this stage Detroit moves a guy liek Tatar for someone like Jovo whose got a yea rleft in the tank.

I dont see anyone interesting on Buffalos roster that would help the D really

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
And you know what? It took Datsyuk and Zetterberg years to do that too. And they didn't start out as top6 players either.

I don't know what to say other than Nyquist is NHL ready, whether he gets to start on a bottom line or a scoring line. Likewise with Tatar, of course.

Exactly. This was gone into detail over the summer. A player has to make things happen in every circumstance. Any top 6 player should tear up an opponents bottom 6 and 3rd pairing D. This is why coaches scramble in a fright to keep specific matchups shift by shift. Every line should have the potential to be a "scoring" line. We've already heard a lot about depth being crucial to winning this year. 3rd and 4th lines are being depended on more by teams that can trust them.

What if out of desperation Babs brings up Nyquist on a line with Tatar and they score goals? If they can produce offensively they will move up the ranks. Babcock will play who's hot. If Tatar can light it up he will replace Cleary or Abdelkader on the 3rd. I'm all for a shakeup of the bottom 6. Right now put Nyquist centering the 4th line. We need Gus and Tatar to give this team improved offense.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think you're underselling Daniel's sniper abilities there. It does help that they think together, but I don't know what you would call a consistent goal scorer like Daniel Sedin but a sniper. If he isn't then a guy like Hossa isn't....

Daniel doesn't play like sniper. He's a playmaker too but Henrik shoots so little so Daniel is the one scoring the goals.

Heinz84

Aug 4, 2012
Germany / London(UK)
Very glad to see Tartar getting a shot at the Wings Roster again. I wonder whos lineup spot he is gonna take. I reckon it will be Emmerton. Apart from being a Center he doesnt really bring much to the table.
So I guess that Filpulla will center a 3rd line with Tartar and Eaves, which should hopefully provide more offense. Clearly would then play with Z and Brunner, which may kickstart him.

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen
Brunner-Zetterberg-Cleary
Tartar-Filpulla-Eaves
Tootoo-Abdelkader-Miller

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ellerby is best friends with Tootoo, I doubt that would play a factor but you never know. I didnt hear these reports of them scouting though?

If a trade could be worked out around Tatar for Ellerby I would be pretty happy. A 6'5 tough Dman that is a pretty solid number 5 dman right now would be awesome. Kindl could be put in ap ackage as well. Tatar for Elleerby would be a relatively fair trade as well, wouldnt have to add much either way.

Hes young, I highly doubt at this stage Detroit moves a guy liek Tatar for someone like Jovo whose got a yea rleft in the tank.

I dont see anyone interesting on Buffalos roster that would help the D really

Has Ellerby improved a lot lately? I thought his NHL outlook looked tame at this point.

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
I think that it is more likely that Tatar and Nyquist are traded then it is that they will ever play a meaningful on the Wings. I hate to say it but that has been the Red Wings standard for the most part, although the Wings did develop Howard, Lidstrom, Homer, Kronwall and ect. Tatar, in my opinion has been over ready for some time and I was surprised that they did not pencil him and Nyquist into the lineup from day one. I thought we would see two or maybe even three of Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist and Emmerton playing solid minutes this year before signing Sammuelson and I still would have prefer to see Tatar, Nyquist, ect. get a chance to show their worth. I just hope we don't trade another first round pick.

I don't know if I see a trade coming up on the horizon. Teams are all still feeling out where they are with their clubs so it could be a spell before we see teams anxious to make deals. I am guessing we will see Lashoff and Kindl fill in for Smith but depth is a serious concern. We are pretty bad on D right now, one more injury and it will be that much worse. We are lucky Huskins was not seriously injured on the Backes hit. Brian Skinner just signed to a try out with Grand Rapids. I wonder if he could be an option as he has some NHL time. (Link- http://www.griffinshockey.com/news/releases/?article_id=2380) I dont know if there are any other servicable dmen on the free agency market. Dan DeKeyser from WMU would look good in there but by the time Western's season ends and if he signs with us, he likely wont make a difference and hopefully solutions like a healthy Cola (doubtful), White and Smith are in place.

In regards to our goaltending situation and Babcock's comments: I am not surprised that there is so little faith in McCollum. If the team felt he was ready to be servicable then they likely would have just gone with him over Monster. McCollum has not impressed me even in the AHL and he has been passed over by Mrazek. While Mrazek was in the AHL all star game, McCollum was not. Mrazek has started about eight more games then McCollum this year which speaks somewhat to the organizations preference. I trust that if Babcock did not feel comfortable with McCollum that he knows best. His comments, while harsh, are probably not all that shocking to McCollum.

I think Mrazek will start tuesday. I don't see the incentive of him sitting on the bench when he is younger and could use more ice time then McCollum. Maybe Howard is bothered by the hit he took some, or maybe they want to give him an extended rest. If Mrazek starts on Tuesday, Howard will have been off for four days by the time thursday's game comes around. If Howard is not bothered by the injury then leave Howard to start tuesday and start Mrazak on Saturday when the games are much more condensed and leave Howard for the tougher of the back to back. Or maybe Mrazek is up so McCollum can get back in the swing of things and there is no intention of him playing at the NHL level, I don't know. I will be at Tuesday's game and as a big Howard fan, I hope he plays. It would be exciting to see Mrazek but I would prefer Howard, lol.

I don't fault Holland for our goaltending depth. Really entering camp Howard was option A, Monster option B, and Macdonald option C (if he wasn't going to be dealt before his injury). That is one quality starter, and two quality backups plus Mrazek, McCollum, and Pearce as options D, E, and F where they could be servicable on an emergency basis. That is pretty decent depth. I do think that we should have secured some better defensive depth after losing Stuart and St. Nick.

Last edited:

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Was thinking the same thing. I'm not opposed to moving youth in the right deal.
I wish they'd keep some non-swedes on the team, but oh well.

Who would we want from Florida? It's gotta be D, right?

Campbell - 5'10, Kronwallish. Shoots left.
Jovo, 6'3, 36 years old Shoots left <------- Could be Hollands guy.

For the record, I am not down with any Tatar for Jovo deal

It's Weiss.

Or possibly Kopecky+Fleischmann...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tatar can play a grinding type role, that's what our 3rd line will be with Helm or even Abdelkader centering it. Nyquist is a finesse player who can't play a grinding roll. He is way to weak right now. Nyquist will not succeed in the NHL as a bottom 6 player unless he adds weight, strength and grit, otherwise his best bet is top 6. You need to play your players in roles that compliment their play type. You wouldn't put Datsyuk out on the 4th line to be a grinder/energy player.

I dunno, Cory Emmerton seems to be doing OK this season. I'd be fine with giving Nyquist some ice time on his wing and see if the 4th line can begin to generate some offense. The irony is Pavs did start off on the 4th line and quickly worked his way up to a scoring line spot.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If he's got the slightest injury(god I hope not) then yeah. But otherwise I don't see it after two days rest. We're not at that point just yet playing 8 games in 15 days. That's a pretty regular tempo. I think as long as there's a day of rest it's fine, but when you get to these back to backs bad things happen if not careful. I don't view the Flames as worse than the Oilers, if that would be a main argument.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they have in store for Mrazek.

If Howard is injured then that's pretty straightforward. There was no way they were going to let McCollum get in net unless Howard was seriously injured,leaving them no other choice. If it's a minor injury they want to let heal then I can definitely see Mrazek getting the start on Tuesday and I'm actually excited to see how he does.

If Howard is OK then I think you start him with two days rest. Mrazek being called up could indicate they want to have a legit backup or a guy who can give Jimmy the night off every now and then. As of Feb 1 it has been reported Gustafsson is far from returning. Mrazek is clearly the #3 behind Jimmy and Gustafsson.

I guess it's possible they just want to give McCollum a start in GR to keep him on top of his game. My initial thought is they realize they need a legit backup for Howard and that's Mrazek. I hope he does get some IT as he's obviously proven himself at the AHL level this season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Detroit Red Wings @DetroitRedWings
Gustavsson, Samuelsson, Mursak and Colaiacovo all skated and did drills before practice this morning.

The fact that Gus is back training probably means he could play in the weekend, but who knows.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Can Tatar play LW? How about Tatar - Nyquist - Tootoo/Bert/Mule?

As someone else pointed out Gus is not a center. Also Nyquist has not been called up. I'd like something like...

Miller-Abdelkader-Tootoo
Tatar-Emmerton-Eaves

I haven't heard anything to indicate Tatar will actually be in the lineup tomorrow. It could be they want to reward him and get him some NHL salary. I hope he does get some IT but we'll have to wait and see.

Aug 6, 2012
If your gonna have both Nyquist and Tatar in the lineup then I think youd see something like this:

Gus- Pavs- Flip
Mule- Z- Nose
Tats- Helm- Bert
Abby- Emmerton- Toots

Of course this is purely hypothetical because it will never happen without injuries and there's just no way you can do it with all the forwards we have. If somehow it did Happen i would want:

Flip- Pavs- Nose
Gus- Z- Mule
Tats- Helm- Toots
Abby- Emmerton- Bert/Sammy
That's the way I'd want the wingers to be paired but I wouldn't mind switching around Pavs and Z if it works out better that way.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Detroit Red Wings @DetroitRedWings
Gustavsson, Samuelsson, Mursak and Colaiacovo all skated and did drills before practice this morning.

The fact that Gus is back training probably means he could play in the weekend, but who knows.

Yeah, it's definitely a good sign he's skating and doing drills. The most recent timetable I found was from three days ago where they said it would be a long time until he's ready to contribute. So I was just going off that.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
As someone else pointed out Gus is not a center. Also Nyquist has not been called up. I'd like something like...

Miller-Abdelkader-Tootoo
Tatar-Emmerton-Eaves

I haven't heard anything to indicate Tatar will actually be in the lineup tomorrow. It could be they want to reward him and get him some NHL salary. I hope he does get some IT but we'll have to wait and see.

And the Griffins don't play until Wednesday so you never know. But I would be very surprised if he doesn't play, the way Babs just said the bottom six simply hasn't done enough. He didn't throw them under the bus but reading between the lines he's far from happy.

And this just got tweeted:
Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive
Wings on ice for practice. Tatar skating on line with Datsyuk and Filppula. Bertuzzi moved down to third line.

Mrazek joins goalies Howard and MacDonald in practice. Gustavsson still not practicing.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
And the Griffins don't play until Wednesday so you never know. But I would be very surprised if he doesn't play, the way Babs just said the bottom six simply hasn't done enough. He didn't throw them under the bus but reading between the lines he's far from happy.

And this just got tweeted:
Wings on ice for practice. Tatar skating on line with Datsyuk and Filppula. Bertuzzi moved down to third line.

Yeah, all of us who have been watching the games knows our bottom 6 has been a train wreck. That's great news he's been skating with Fil and Pavs but I'm not going to believe that will happen in a game situation until I see it with my own two eyes. ;)

With Brunner doing everything they've asked from him and the usual suspects not exactly acquitting themselves very well (Cleary is their ring leader) maybe they will give Tatar a shot on a scoring line.

At least it gives us something to look forward to for Tuesday night's game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Has Ellerby improved a lot lately? I thought his NHL outlook looked tame at this point.

I dont think it ever looked tame, hes a 6'5 physical dman that can skate. Its always been more of the fact that he wont live up to his draft position. Hes only 24 and hes gotten a handful of NHL games in already, hes got potential to a be a solid top 4 physical guy.

I would give up Tatar for him, especially since the wings have plenty of 5'11 skilled prospects but could use a 6'5 dman

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Yeah, all of us who have been watching the games knows our bottom 6 has been a train wreck. That's great news he's been skating with Fil and Pavs but I'm not going to believe that will happen in a game situation until I see it with my own two eyes. ;).

If they actually play him on a scoring line, the theory that he is being showcased for a trade seems more likely.
Edit:

He's going to play in the bottom six, in an attempt to kick start the secondary scoring

"We thought we'd have more secondary scoring," Holland said. "It's only eight games. Our big guys have produced, but we haven't gotten much from anyone else. Tatar has played real well in Grand Rapids. He had a hat trick. We'll put him in lineup tomorrow night, figure out a way to jump-start some offense. We're hoping he can come up and give us some jump and we can get some secondary scoring."

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
At some point in time, I do think we'll see a trade of some sort. Our core is small, and our top forward prospects are small. The tricky part will be not to trade the wrong guys(i.e. they pan out and the ones we have left or get in return bust).

In a perfect world we'd see a trade in the mold of Hodgson-Kassian. The other team gets a high upside small player, and we get a bigger guy with some grit who can put the puck in the net but not necessarily be a finesse guy.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I dont think it ever looked tame, hes a 6'5 physical dman that can skate. Its always been more of the fact that he wont live up to his draft position. Hes only 24 and hes gotten a handful of NHL games in already, hes got potential to a be a solid top 4 physical guy.

I would give up Tatar for him, especially since the wings have plenty of 5'11 skilled prospects but could use a 6'5 dman

We seem to have pretty good size on the defense pairings right now.

Ericsson: 6'4"
Huskins: 6'4"
Lashoff: 6'3"
Smith: 6'2"

The only older guy is Huskins and we acquired him for nothing. I'd trade Kindl for Ellerby in a minute as that seems like an equal trade of 1st round picks who have disappointed. We get a defensive d-man and the Panthers get a nice skater who may eventually develop some offensive touch.

Aug 6, 2012
I won't mind if Tats is traded provided its a good trade but man I'd feel bad for the kid. Ever since he was a kid he has wanted to be a Red Wing and he's worked so hard and is so close to finally making it. After watching that prospect camp YT video on him and seeing how happy and excited he was to be with Detroit it would just be awful to see him moved.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If they actually play him on a scoring line, the theory that he is being showcased for a trade seems more likely.
Edit:

He's going to play in the bottom six, in an attempt to kick start the secondary scoring

Yeah if he is being brought up because our bottom 6 is dreck then you'd expect him to be plugged into the bottom 6 to help generate some offense. Instead it appears Bert may be knocked down to the 3rd line. Bert has gotten off to a good start this season but it's in all likelihood due to playing on Pavs' wing. We'll have to wait and see if Tatar actually plays and then - based on where he plays - let the rampant speculation get started. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad