Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Tatar and Petr Mrazek recalled, Tom McCollum to GR

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I would actually give him Tuesday, a weak opponent and I am concerned Howard is dinged from the collision during the St. Louis game. If he plays well you give him another weekend game.

If he's got the slightest injury(god I hope not) then yeah. But otherwise I don't see it after two days rest. We're not at that point just yet playing 8 games in 15 days. That's a pretty regular tempo. I think as long as there's a day of rest it's fine, but when you get to these back to backs bad things happen if not careful. I don't view the Flames as worse than the Oilers, if that would be a main argument.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
This is exciting news! I know Tatar can play better than any of our current bottom six guys, save for maybe Tootoo (he's doing what's expected of him). I'd like to see Mrazek get a start, but I think they need to put him in a good position to win. Give him the first game of a back-to-back so our guys aren't tired and don't hang him out to dry.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Nyquist was an effective player in Detroit last year and his strength and balance have improved tremendously over the past year. Both Tatar and Nyquist have done great improving their strength and both can fit well on the third line.

Honestly, at this point I'm almost ecstatic that either Gus or Tatar is getting called up, so I can't complain about which one is getting the nod at this point. I think both should be up, but I'll take one for now.

I just hope that Tatar can play well enough to hang around until Helm gets back, b/c playing with Abby as your center is a recipe for not scoring. Anyway, Babs can just toss all of the bottom 6 names in a hat except for Tootoo and pick one for Tatar to replace (ideally Cleary, but barring injury, it would be stunning to see Babs sit his boy).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
People need to get this bottom six/top six thing out of their heads.

I'm starting to think so many of the biases come from video games. The way people talk about teams on these forums it's like they are managing a simulator or an EA Sports NHL game.

Put a playmaker with a sniper, instant chemistry, right?! I don't know, maybe it's more important they think alike.

la_g_sedin1x_576.jpg

RedWingsNow*

The reason why the gamemakers have the Playmaker + Sniper chemistry is because we've seen it through the history of hockey.

There are many different ways lines fit together. And like you said, the ability to "think alike" is one of them.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm starting to think so many of the biases come from video games. The way people talk about teams on these forums it's like they are managing a simulator or an EA Sports NHL game.

Put a playmaker with a sniper, instant chemistry, right?! I don't know, maybe it's more important they think alike.

la_g_sedin1x_576.jpg

I think you're underselling Daniel's sniper abilities there. It does help that they think together, but I don't know what you would call a consistent goal scorer like Daniel Sedin but a sniper. If he isn't then a guy like Hossa isn't....

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It does help that they think together

They are one mind!

Look, I'm not saying Hull and Oates wasn't awesome, I'm just saying when I read through the forums (not particularly this subforum) that people are making video game lineups. And that's to be expected. I took Forty's comment as an opportunity to rant about something that's been bugging me.

Wired did a whole article about how Madden NFL video games have been influencing REAL NFL players. So it's not a huge leap to think some of that is leaking into our internet community.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/01/ff_gamechanger/

Aug 6, 2012
Wings have Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday games. I'd start Mrazek on Saturday against the Oilers, let Howard take on the reigning cup champs on National TV on Sunday.

Give me Mrazek against the reigning Stanley Cup champs on national television this Saturday. He loves the spotlight.

But seriously I'd be happy with Mrazek starting any of those games.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Howard need a break, better to give mrazek tuesdays game and see how he does.

if he stinks then howard plays the next three, if he does well and wins, then he gets another of the next three.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I figured this was coming at some point when I heard that Gustavsson wasn't close to returning and when Babs said that with MacDonald and Gustavsson injured, they only had one goalie available. Ouch. Tom Mac has a sad...

Babcock said Howard would have been given the night off had one of his veteran backups, either Jonas Gustavsson (groin) or Joey MacDonald (back), been healthy.

But with only inexperienced Tom McCollum available, and earning points necessary in the standings, Howard has had to play all eight Wings games.

"You're supposed to have more than one goalie and be able to hand the baton to someone else," Babcock said. "Gus and Mac are on the shelf. Where are you supposed to go? That shouldn't go on him (Howard), that should go on me."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130202/SPORTS0103/302020387#ixzz2Ju1Fp4HI

Aug 6, 2012
I figured this was coming at some point when I heard that Gustavsson wasn't close to returning and when Babs said that with MacDonald and Gustavsson injured, they only had one goalie available. Ouch. Tom Mac has a sad...

Oh wow, let's hope Tommy didn't see this lol. What was Babs thinking when he said this? I mean, he has a point but idk if you should say stuff like that.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Well Mrazek being called up just tells me that they don't think much of McCollum.

Tatar is more interesting. Are they trying to add some punch to the bottom 6 or do we have yet another injury we don't know about yey? If it's the former, who sits? Eaves? Miller? I wish it was Cleary but that's highly unlikely.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh wow, let's hope Tommy didn't see this lol. What was Babs thinking when he said this? I mean, he has a point but idk if you should say stuff like that.

Guess Babcock remembers putting him in a couple years ago for that nightmare against St. Louis. McCollum has gotten a lot better, but that would be a great way to destroy his progress. I think Mrazek was always going to get the call if they were going to play one.

By the way, could be Tatar is up as a showcase. I know that won't make some happy but the report of them scouting Buffalo vs. Florida are interesting in that they have a couple players I would believe the Wings are interested in and both teams seem to be going nowhere fast. They have no reason to advance scout either of those teams with the schedule this season. Sure it is important for them to know all NHL players and more scouts are at games than people think. But that is a high number and the large amount of Western Conference people there suggests a pretty notable player is out on the market for offers.

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
good for tatar, i hope he doesnt get benched after one bad pass. hopefully nyquist follows but i doubt it. he's just not quite over ripe yet.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Well Mrazek being called up just tells me that they don't think much of McCollum.

Tatar is more interesting. Are they trying to add some punch to the bottom 6 or do we have yet another injury we don't know about yey? If it's the former, who sits? Eaves? Miller? I wish it was Cleary but that's highly unlikely.

Holland has said there are no new injuries except for Smith.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

I'm only guessing, but it sounded an awful lot like "Hey Kenny, get me a ******* backup goalie!" to me...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm only guessing, but it sounded an awful lot like "Hey Kenny, get me a ******* backup goalie!" to me...

Well hard to be mad about that. MacDonald and Monster are out, now it might have been I am only playing Mrazek, whether you want to see McCollum or not that is too bad.

But I am sure the frustration is mounting over the last two years on what options he has had between the pipes outside of Howard.

Aug 6, 2012
Guess Babcock remembers putting him in a couple years ago for that nightmare against St. Louis. McCollum has gotten a lot better, but that would be a great way to destroy his progress. I think Mrazek was always going to get the call if they were going to play one.

By the way, could be Tatar is up as a showcase. I know that won't make some happy but the report of them scouting Buffalo vs. Florida are interesting in that they have a couple players I would believe the Wings are interested in and both teams seem to be going nowhere fast. They have no reason to advance scout either of those teams with the schedule this season. Sure it is important for them to know all NHL players and more scouts are at games than people think. But that is a high number and the large amount of Western Conference people there suggests a pretty notable player is out on the market for offers.

Yeah I totally understand Babs not wanting to play McCollum but there are a hundred different things he could've said to the media other than basically saying he doesn't trust that Tom is good enough.

EDIT: I'm not saying its not PC btw. Just saying coaches usually aren't quoted saying something like that. If McCollum sees o,etching like that hopefully he gets a bit more motivation.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Well hard to be mad about that. MacDonald and Monster are out, now it might have been I am only playing Mrazek, whether you want to see McCollum or not that is too bad.

But I am sure the frustration is mounting over the last two years on what options he has had between the pipes outside of Howard.

Well, I don't know how frustrated he's been previously but you could tell here that he has no confidence in McCollum whatsoever, he wanted to give Howard a break, and he probably would be willing to give Mrazek a start.

In fairness to Holland, they came into this season with 3 experienced goalies on 1 way contracts. One of them has been injured for a year, but at least he tried.

If I had to guess, I'd say Holland wanted Mrazek to keep getting regular work in GR and figured Babcock wouldn't sit Howard anyway. Not sure if there's a failure to c'mun'cate ...

RedWingsNow*

Was thinking the same thing. I'm not opposed to moving youth in the right deal.
I wish they'd keep some non-swedes on the team, but oh well.

Who would we want from Florida? It's gotta be D, right?

Campbell - 5'10, Kronwallish. Shoots left.
Jovo, 6'3, 36 years old Shoots left <------- Could be Hollands guy.

For the record, I am not down with any Tatar for Jovo deal

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Wow. What an absolutely idiotic thing for Babcock to say (in regards to McCollum).

I dunno, I just cannot believe we are already at the point of completely writing this guy off - a goalie no less, a position that players have historically taken much longer to develop - at 23 years old. Is he that bad? Is he really that bad that he can't even earn a start against Columbus on the second half of a back-to-back? I know his first cup of coffee against the Blues was a disaster, but come on, that game was doomed from the start. MacDonald wasn't exactly a rock that night either.

Meh.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Was thinking the same thing. I'm not opposed to moving youth in the right deal.
I wish they'd keep some non-swedes on the team, but oh well.

Who would we want from Florida? It's gotta be D, right?

Campbell - 5'10, Kronwallish. Shoots left.
Jovo, 6'3, 36 years old Shoots left <------- Could be Hollands guy.

For the record, I am not down with any Tatar for Jovo deal

They didn't need a scout there to see Jovo, he is out injured.

Would be surprised if Tallon is considering moving Campbell.

Ellerbe could be the guy at least I hope that is who they are looking at if it is Florida.

They did offer Jovo 2 years at a little over 4 million, don't believe Holland would touch the contract he got so not to scared of that.

Weaver could help the PK, but is tiny.

Kuba is paid too much, could be looking at him he has an additional year.

Florida has a bunch of lefthanded shots, just like our problem.

I think keeping Nyquist over Tatar if possible is the right call. However on your lets shop Swedes comment, I think they should be shopping Andersson if he has any value to other teams, don't see where he fits in at all in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad