Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Tatar and Petr Mrazek recalled, Tom McCollum to GR

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
too bad he's probably only gonna get a few shifts on that line before Babcock moves him down to the 4th line and barely plays him the rest of the game

then after this game he'll get sent back to the AHL

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
too bad he's probably only gonna get a few shifts on that line before Babcock moves him down to the 4th line and barely plays him the rest of the game

And then gets to hear at the end of the season about how Babcock wanted him in Detroit all year long.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
This is an obvious showcase. If they're putting him on Datsyuk's wing, why would they bring up Tats over Gus?

Not sure if I'm stretching on this but during the lockout when Babcock was watching the Grifs and during his interview he was asked what he thought of Nyquist game and he quickly changed the subject to how Tatar was dominating the game. Plus during Nyquist last call up he was moved down the lineup pretty quickly.

Sometimes Babcock really shows his favorites and this may be a choice of his. Just look at Lashoff in and Kindl out. I think Lashoff has done a great job but haven't seen anything more then Kindl has brought. It's to bad because if Kindl could get some regular playing time we might be able to see some improvement.

Just my two cents.

VeGor

Datsyuk
Dec 12, 2009
Kinda OT, but here's Mrazek mask:

419649_10151431206134819_1566808021_n.jpg

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I don't see that happening if he plays well. This isn't some situation where we're giving Tatar a taste - the Wings are trying to fix actual problems. If Tatar can come in and do some good things, why would they send him down? This isn't in previous years were the offense has gone stale but we still have scoring depth.

I think some of you guys need to realize that previous years call up decisions don't necessarily apply this year.

Unsportsmanlike

Marc Madsen
May 20, 2011
Toronto
www.unsportsmanlike.ca
I don't see that happening if he plays well. This isn't some situation where we're giving Tatar a taste - the Wings are trying to fix actual problems. If Tatar can come in and do some good things, why would they send him down? This isn't in previous years were the offense has gone stale but we still have scoring depth.

I think some of you guys need to realize that previous years call up decisions don't necessarily apply this year.

This is very good point. In 2010 when the Wings were injured up front (i.e. Franzen and co.) the Wings picked up Drew Miller off of waivers and he had enough success he stole the roster spot from Ville Leino when Franzen was set to return.

Although Miller wasn't a prospect at the time, I'd say it's similar in nature to what is going on with Tatar. He's hear to fulfill a purpose and if he does so well enough I could see him staying.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I'll say that I don't think that the call up/send down decisions of years past should apply to this year, but I need to see Kenny and Babcock in action before I believe it.

There are a fair amount of underwhelming vets on the team, so if Tatar or Gus comes up and makes a real impact, Kenny would need to keep him up and send out a vet or 2 in a trade once everyone is healthy. And for one of the young guys to make an impact, Babs has to give that guy more than 1 period with a scoring line before banishing him to the 4th line like he did with Gus earlier this season. Gotta see that tag team effort from KH and Babs to really believe the philosophy has changed.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'll say that I don't think that the call up/send down decisions of years past should apply to this year, but I need to see Kenny and Babcock in action before I believe it.

There are a fair amount of underwhelming vets on the team, so if Tatar or Gus comes up and makes a real impact, Kenny would need to keep him up and send out a vet or 2 in a trade once everyone is healthy. And for one of the young guys to make an impact, Babs has to give that guy more than 1 period with a scoring line before banishing him to the 4th line like he did with Gus earlier this season. Gotta see that tag team effort from KH and Babs to really believe the philosophy has changed.

It's not like they need to get rid of Bert or Cleary. Miller and Eaves are singing on their last songs with this team and they hold no value whatsoever. A big reason they remained on the team to start the season is because once guys go down, you will still have some insurance ready in the minors. If you lose them to waivers before the season starts and injuries load up, you're stuck with little depth.

As the season goes on, you start to worry less about injury scenarios and more about your team winning enough games, at which point the best guys will simply be in the line-up. If you end up with injuries late in the season, you're screwed anyway.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's not like they need to get rid of Bert or Cleary. Miller and Eaves are singing on their last songs with this team and they hold no value whatsoever. A big reason they remained on the team to start the season is because once guys go down, you will still have some insurance ready in the minors. If you lose them to waivers before the season starts and injuries load up, you're stuck with little depth.

As the season goes on, you start to worry less about injury scenarios and more about your team winning enough games, at which point the best guys will simply be in the line-up. If you end up with injuries late in the season, you're screwed anyway.

Miller is a very easy send down, even while I expect him to get claimed even by new rules his contract wouldn't count on the cap. Now he is a UFA so no big deal. Eaves can be kept down for the cost of 300,000 dollars next year not exactly pricey should he clear waivers.

Emmerton another guy that cost nothing can be down there. You can put one way contracts down there you just cannot bury bigger ones. The smaller guys are not a big concern here.

Now I don't think any of them clear waivers except maybe Eaves because of health problems.

Bert, Sammy and Quincey cost too much to do this with assuming we are active in the free agent market. But a lot of people running around talking about this are missing the 900,000 dollar rule on it. There are players that can be sent down on a one way contract that cause no cap penalty. This is to clean up Redden and Huet to the point of never attempting it. You will see depth guys that cost a minimal overhead to bury happen more frequently as teams decide what to do going forward. You would like not to have any, but I think you will see some shortly, Eaves is a prime example of a guy you don't have to worry big time about this rule with.

Unless I am completely reading this rule wrong and the full contract counts over 900,000. Even then depending on budget his 1.2 isn't bad news. If you need a little more cap flexability you put him on re-entry and someone will scoop him up for 600,000 for one partial year and we clear half the cap hit that way.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

From an on-ice perspective, they can't get rid of Cleary fast enough. At least his contract is up after this year, and SURELY, Kenny won't bring him back. I hope.

Gus and Tatar are good enough, and IMO have done enough, for at least one of them to start this season with the Wings somewhere in the top 9. Either would improve the team, and while having depth is important, it is somewhat less important when much of that depth is bringing nothing to the ice.

If the Wings were able to land a guy like Horton or Ryder after this season, then Bert absolutely should be shown the door. Oops- that pesky NTC could be a hurdle there.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
From an on-ice perspective, they can't get rid of Cleary fast enough. At least his contract is up after this year, and SURELY, Kenny won't bring him back. I hope.

Gus and Tatar are good enough, and IMO have done enough, for at least one of them to start this season with the Wings somewhere in the top 9. Either would improve the team, and while having depth is important, it is somewhat less important when much of that depth is bringing nothing to the ice.

If the Wings were able to land a guy like Horton or Ryder after this season, then Bert absolutely should be shown the door. Oops- that pesky NTC could be a hurdle there.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Cleary is re-signed. Babcock loves him. You know how Holland likes to hold onto guys. They would claim something like, "he provides veteran leadership."

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Cleary is re-signed. Babcock loves him. You know how Holland likes to hold onto guys. They would claim something like, "he provides veteran leadership."

he's only 34 too,watch it be a multi year deal :laugh:

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I thought Tatar played really good and made some nice passes out there today. He seemed like the only one interested. I think it's time for Mrazek to start so Howard can have a rest.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Babcock said he'll go with the same lineup Thursday that he used in Tuesday's 4-1 loss to Calgary, with the possible exception of the starting goalie. He said he'll start the game with Tomas Tatar on the third line.

Cleary-Abdelkader-Tatar

Im glad they are giving Tatar a few games. As far as im concerned we should keep him up until seasons end (assuming he doesnt regress). He worked his butt off last night and I believe he will be more effective once he can get into a groove.

I dont want our "young guys" to feel one mistake will put them on the bench/AHL. Of course they need to be accountable, but they also need the opportunity to grow.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Just remember, keeping these kids in the AHL for a year only makes the bottle neck worse.
It keeps some of the kids who need the experience off the AHL PP and scoring lines.
And next year a new group of kids comes into the system too

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Just remember, keeping these kids in the AHL for a year only makes the bottle neck worse.
It keeps some of the kids who need the experience off the AHL PP and scoring lines.
And next year a new group of kids comes into the system too

I dont think anyone is suggesting that Nyquist/Tatar spend more time in the AHL

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but at this point, I'd start mrazek, if only to give howie a game off. Although, mccollum did good for his ahl start, so if we care about the goalie who could get lit up, maybe recall mccollum, assign mrazek and let it be mccollum who gets lit up.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
No he's not. There isn't a bottlekneck. Not with the contracts coming off the books in the next coming years. It will allow a steady transition into the next generation.

I don't know about that. I have a hard time seeing Holland sitting in his office with his feet propped up on his desk and chomping on a cigar while watching Wings games, repeatedly saying "I love it when a plan comes together" every time he sees Cleary fall on his own to turn the puck over while getting a score alert that Nyquist has scored AGAIN for the Griffs.

Sure, he has a few contracts coming off the books, but he still doesn't know exactly what he has in Gus or Tatar b/c neither has had a significant look up with the Wings. The bottom 6 that he has put together is on a scorching pace to score 6 points for the season (if you round up), although that should change if he leaves Tatar on the team and/or calls up Gus for 3rd line duty (but you know his track record, so when Helm and Sammy come back, the writing is on the wall for the young guys).

Kenny's MO is to go with vets over kids, so I wouldn't pencil in a true youth movement as he'll likely hand out a few more Sammy-type contracts in the next few off-seasons, limiting the openings for the young guys. I hope that changes, but I wouldn't put $$ on it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
People have, for sure.

Bob's 100% right on this one.

Yeah, same here. There'll be space next year, but it'd be a helluva lot smoother and more gradual a transition if we'd made space this year (and last year, in the case of Smith). If we'd made space for rookie seasons for Tatar and Nyquist this year, it'd be more comfortable finding a spot for Jarnkrok next season knowing that Gus and Tatar would be going into their second years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad