Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Tatar and Petr Mrazek recalled, Tom McCollum to GR

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
It's too early for shopping, we're not even 1/4 of the way through the season yet.

Remember that Babs wanted Smith up last year but was overruled. Holland is making a token gesture to keep his coach and player happy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is an obvious showcase. If they're putting him on Datsyuk's wing, why would they bring up Tats over Gus?

Why not? Tatar is the best scorer at Griffins and he scored a hattrick on the weekend, and this a "reward" about it. And they need scoring on that line, not playmaking ability (Nyquist).

Filppula-Datsyuk-Nyquist would be basicly a playmaker-playmaker-playmaker -line. Horrible chemistry.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm not sure I get this whole "showcasing" thing everyone keeps suggesting.

You put a guy in a situation with a good chance to succeed and:

A. He does succeed, and you found a spot for the guy to play and produce for your team...why would you then try to get rid of him.

B. Guy fails and loses value to other teams and has no (or less) trade value

Basically, anything he shows in that situation is just as true for your team as any other team.

we like our team*

Why not? Tatar is the best scorer at Griffins and he scored a hattrick on the weekend, and this a "reward" about it. And they need scoring on that line, not playmaking ability (Nyquist).

Filppula-Datsyuk-Nyquist would be basicly a playmaker-playmaker-playmaker -line. Horrible chemistry.

nyquist has played well with datsyuk in the past

"horrible chemistry"

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
nyquist has played well with datsyuk in the past

"horrible chemistry"

With Tatar:
Filppula-Datsyuk-Tatar
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner

With Nyquist:
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner

Imo.

Aug 6, 2012

Like someone mentioned earlier this isn't a video game. Every single one of those players can shoot the puck and Nyquist is more of a scorer than Tatar.

RedWingsNow*

Elaborate please?

Two years ago, when Hudler sucked, Detroit stuck him on the plum line and all of the sudden he started producing -
I suspect they only put him with Datsyuk to make him look good for a trade.

And then when the deadline passed, they dumped him back to the third/fourth line.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not sure I get this whole "showcasing" thing everyone keeps suggesting.

You put a guy in a situation with a good chance to succeed and:

A. He does succeed, and you found a spot for the guy to play and produce for your team...why would you then try to get rid of him.

B. Guy fails and loses value to other teams and has no (or less) trade value

Basically, anything he shows in that situation is just as true for your team as any other team.
Because they think the team needs defense more than offense, and if we can trade away an offensive piece for a good d-man then it makes sense.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Like someone mentioned earlier this isn't a video game. Every single one of those players can shoot the puck and Nyquist is more of a scorer than Tatar.

Everyone can shoot, not everyone shoots well and often.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Everyone can shoot, not everyone shoots well and often.

The difference between Tatar and Nyquist shooting really isn't much. The seperation in shots on goal isn't all that large and most of it came while Gus was nursing a banged up shoulder from a dirty Beach hit. Tatar does shoot a little more, but fair warning he also misses the net pretty often. So he is slightly more a shoot first player but the zone time possession dies on his stick an awful lot more. But lets not pretend Gus doesn't shoot the puck.

This year

Nyquist = 2.98 Shots on goal per game
Tatar = 3.3 Shots on goal per game

That is not a crazy difference like some are trying to make it out to be.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The difference between Tatar and Nyquist shooting really isn't much. The seperation in shots on goal isn't all that large and most of it came while Gus was nursing a banged up shoulder from a dirty Beach hit. Tatar does shoot a little more, but fair warning he also misses the net pretty often. So he is slightly more a shoot first player but the zone time possession dies on his stick an awful lot more. But lets not pretend Gus doesn't shoot the puck.

This year

Nyquist = 2.98 Shots on goal per game
Tatar = 3.3 Shots on goal per game

That is not a crazy difference like some are trying to make it out to be.

That's a more worthy argument than saying everyone is a shooter. Not everyone is.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's a more worthy argument than saying everyone is a shooter. Not everyone is.

Yeah it would be similar to the difference between say Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Z shoots the puck a lot more often, Datsyuk takes higher percentage shots with more danger. When Nyquist does shoot the puck more often than not it is a very dangerous chance, his numbers aren't very inflated and he doesn't miss a whole lot. Have no problem saying Tatar is a more high volume attempt guy, but when you watch both play it doesn't jump out at you that Tatar is a pure sniper and Gus is a pure playmaker. Both see the ice well and both are dangerous shooters and passers, Tatar does force the puck on goal a little more often but I am happy with either guy in a top 6 role. They bring a lot to the table.

We have not seen Tatar with the Wings in two years, he didn't shoot as often at this level, much like Nyquist seems to shoot a little less. That is a part of development and time and space being smaller. Both are going to get 2 or 3 shoots a game when they get comfortable at the NHL level.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
I'm excited to see Tatar get a chance. I think he can definitely spark this team.

However, I think the thing this team lacks is a player with size and forechecking ability coupled with offensive talent (or at least somebody like Parise who is not small but fast and tenacious). Alothough, a lot of our lack of forechecking is attributable to our D's inability to break out I think. But players like Fraznen and Bert are slow and can't get to the puck fast enough. Our third line is the opposite of what a third line should be. They need to be able to win puck battles, and to do that they need to be fast, tenacious, and create turnovers. Helm is the key, but he needs other guys that can score and skate. Cleary/Bert/Miller are not the answer to that.

Like many have said, a third line of Nyquist-Helm-Tatar would give us speed and offensive ability.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Wouldn't be surprised if Tatar was brought up specifically for the PP, and will be sent back down once Sammy returns to the point and Brunner returns to his previous PP position...

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wouldn't be surprised if Tatar was brought up specifically for the PP, and will be sent back down once Sammy returns to the point and Brunner returns to his previous PP position...

Samuelsson wasn't playing the point when he played this year. It was White on the 2nd PP.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Samuelsson wasn't playing the point when he played this year. It was White on the 2nd PP.

True, but I'm operating under the assumption that Cola isn't coming back anytime soon. Babs is almost guaranteed to restore Sammy to his rightful position on the PP point, irrespective of White returning.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Like many have said, a third line of Nyquist-Helm-Tatar would give us speed and offensive ability.

I really like this idea and have been suggesting something like this.

Why can't we have "3" scoring lines.

The entire "energy grind line" type idea comes when you DONT HAVE ANY SKILLED guys :P

Edit: P.S. if you don't like Helm here, then "demote" FLIP to be their center, Helm goes to 4th line, and i dont know who takes FLIP's spot... but an entirely new scoring line is better than FLIP on the wing on the first line, while having a garbage "energy" 3rd line. (not talking about Helm)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
owever, I think the thing this team lacks is a player with size and forechecking ability coupled with offensive talent

We should have a couple. Bert and Franzen. The problem is they don't really seem to want to play that way most nights.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
True, but I'm operating under the assumption that Cola isn't coming back anytime soon. Babs is almost guaranteed to restore Sammy to his rightful position on the PP point, irrespective of White returning.

I disagree. Samulesosn played the point on the 2nd PP because we didn't have any right handed defensemen to play that spot (and he wasn't putting Chelios there when he was around). I think with White playing the PP all last season they aren't going to bench him just for Samuelsson.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Confident, excited Tomas Tatar brings offensive instincts and energy to Red Wings.

“I’m that kind of guy that has been producing down there, so I think this (top six) is the right spot for me,'' Tatar said. “We’ll see how I’m going to do there. Guys are going to help me out there. I’m going to talk to them a bit.

“It’s really a big opportunity for me. I’ve never really played with big guys like that in the NHL. This is something new and I’m really excited.''

“I played against him in the World Championships; I know it’s tough,'' Tatar said. “I hope when we play together we’ll hopefully make it tougher on someone else.

“I need to keep my stick on the ice for a pass because he’s got great vision. He’s one of the best players in the league. I don’t know what to expect, but it’s going to be fun for sure.''

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad