Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Tatar and Petr Mrazek recalled, Tom McCollum to GR

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Either they just want to get Tom back into games and are swapping the two, or they're planning to give Howard a rest this week and Mrazek is obviously the best option for that.

Tatar seems like a pretty straight-forward move as there are no new forward injuries.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I don't feel very comfortable throwing Mrazek in a NHL game yet, but I'll be very excited if he does. Tatar should play 3rd line for the rest of the season. And Nyquist should be a call up only for top 6 injuries.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't feel very comfortable throwing Mrazek in a NHL game yet, but I'll be very excited if he does. Tatar should play 3rd line for the rest of the season. And Nyquist should be a call up only for top 6 injuries.

What's the logic about that last part? I'd label Nyquist as the better defensive player of the two if that's what you're implying. Calling Tatar up is just the best way to keep everyone happy, Nyquist already got a game.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Since there are no new injuries or recoveries please tell me they are going to sit Cleary in favor of Tatar.

lmoud.gif

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
What's the logic about that last part? I'd label Nyquist as the better defensive player of the two if that's what you're implying. Calling Tatar up is just the best way to keep everyone happy, Nyquist already got a game.

Tatar can play a grinding type role, that's what our 3rd line will be with Helm or even Abdelkader centering it. Nyquist is a finesse player who can't play a grinding roll. He is way to weak right now. Nyquist will not succeed in the NHL as a bottom 6 player unless he adds weight, strength and grit, otherwise his best bet is top 6. You need to play your players in roles that compliment their play type. You wouldn't put Datsyuk out on the 4th line to be a grinder/energy player.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

From the little I've seen of him play and the plenty that I've read about his game, he has no problem mucking it out on the boards and in the corners. He goes hard into the dirty areas. Makes him the perfect scoring threat on a third line. Hopefully with Helm and one of our better grinders like Miller, Eaves, Abby, maybe Tootoo. That would be a third line with some punch. Hitting, grinding, scoring.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The second part is what I really think is going on. While he plays a little heavier, Nyquist isn't nearly as weak as he used to be and backchecks like a monster. He could play on the third line, just don't expect big hits. It isn't like Tatar will land a lot of those either although he does physically engage more. Right now either guy should be playing over the people in front of them that are bringing very little to the table.

I think Abdelkader - Helm - Tatar is an interesting line. But I do think a part of this is keeping Tatar happy and rewarding him for the amount of work he has done on his defensive and physical game.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tatar can play a grinding type role, that's what our 3rd line will be with Helm or even Abdelkader centering it. Nyquist is a finesse player who can't play a grinding roll. He is way to weak right now. Nyquist will not succeed in the NHL as a bottom 6 player unless he adds weight, strength and grit, otherwise his best bet is top 6. You need to play your players in roles that compliment their play type. You wouldn't put Datsyuk out on the 4th line to be a grinder/energy player.

First off all, Nyquist has improved tremendously in those areas. He's a 5'11 185lbs player, bigger than Tatar on both accounts. Without downtalking Tatar's abilities. Second of all, you have to start somewhere. Long-term Nyquist will not be a player for the 4th line but it's not out of the question he's gonna start there. Heck, he's already been there.

I don't see the Wings current setup like black(top6) and white(bottom6). Our bottom 6 is currently filled with Abdelkader, Tootoo and four guys who need to score to really contribute as expected. Right now, playing Tatar with Abdelkader and Cleary seems like a good idea. Tatar can bring a spark to them and they can hopefully score a few goals. Not to mention Tomas has deserved a game for two years.

With Helm and Samuelsson back, our 3rd line will start to look more like something capable of scoring. Helm brings energy, Samuelsson is a shooter. I think a guy with two-way ability and playmaking in Nyquist would fit well on a line like that. If Sammy finds his way into the top6 and the 3rd line is Helm and Cleary, then I'd rather want Tatar there.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
First off all, Nyquist has improved tremendously in those areas. He's a 5'11 185lbs player, bigger than Tatar on both accounts. Second of all, you have to start somewhere. Long-term Nyquist will not be a player for the 4th line but it's not out of the question he's gonna start there. Heck, he's already been there.

I don't see the Wings current setup like black(top6) and white(bottom6). Our bottom 6 is currently filled with Abdelkader, Tootoo and four guys who need to score to really contribute as expected. Right now, playing Tatar with Abdelkader and Cleary seems like a good idea. Tatar can bring a spark to them and they can hopefully score a few goals. Not to mention Tomas has deserved a game for two years.

With Helm and Samuelsson back, our 3rd line will start to look more like something capable of scoring. Helm brings energy, Samuelsson is a shooter. I think a guy with two-way ability and playmaking in Nyquist would fit well on a line like that. If Sammy finds his way into the top6 and the 3rd line is Helm and Cleary, then I'd rather want Tatar there.

Since no one in the top 6 is getting bumped, and Helm is still out it leaves Cleary, Eaves, Miller, and TooToo as the suitable guys to sit in order to play Tatar since Emm and Abby are the only centers in the bunch.
Out of those 4 I think the obvious choice to sit is Cleary. Miller and Eaves haven't done much but they bring a helluva lot more to the game than Cleary does, and TooToo is just a beast no way he is sitting.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Remember when Hudler put up points on the third line? He was 5-9ish and not very tough back then.

But of course, Nyquist can't.

People need to get this bottom six/top six thing out of their heads. I'd much rather have an extra skilled player on the third line than DAN ****ING CLEARY. I mean give me a break, like Nyquist is going to do worse than anyone on the Wings bottom six now defensively and offensively? Aren't they like a combined minus 12 or 14?

I'd go with Nyquist - Helm - Sammy/Tatar and get some gritty PKers from the rest on the fourth line. Having skill on the third line really helped the Wings win the Cup in 08. Not sure why everyone thinks to be on the third line you've got to be 6'4 - 245lbs.

And everyone who says that he(Nyquist) doesn't weigh enough... The ONLY way he's going to bulk up with purpose is taking the next step and seeing what it takes to play in the NHL. You think he's really going to be that motivated to gain weight when he's dominating the league he's in(AHL?). The Wings can only say so much before a player is going to tune out.

RedWingsNow*

First off all, Nyquist has improved tremendously in those areas. He's a 5'11 185lbs player, bigger than Tatar on both accounts. Without downtalking Tatar's abilities. Second of all, you have to start somewhere. Long-term Nyquist will not be a player for the 4th line but it's not out of the question he's gonna start there. Heck, he's already been there.

Sammy is a piece of garbage who has no business taking the icetime away from our prospects

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan

Nyquist still isn't strong though. He still gets bumped off the puck pretty easily. It'll take a couple years before he can do what Datsyuk and Zetterberg do on the boards. Plus you have to take into account what type of players he'll be playing against on the 3rd line, mostly grinders who hit, I just feel Nyquist isn't suited for that roll.

Also weight and strength are two different things. Nyquist may be 185 (i doubt it though) but his lower body strength is still weak, although improve, not ready to be effective when played physical against.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I really hope Mrazek gets a start. Howard can't play every game, and while I haven't seen Mrazek play in the AHL, I've seen enough of him to know he's an extremely skilled goalie. I think he'd handle it just fine.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist still isn't strong though. He still gets bumped off the puck pretty easily. It'll take a couple years before he can do what Datsyuk and Zetterberg do on the boards. Plus you have to take into account what type of players he'll be playing against on the 3rd line, mostly grinders who hit, I just feel Nyquist isn't suited for that roll.

Also weight and strength are two different things. Nyquist may be 185 (i doubt it though) but his lower body strength is still weak, although improve, not ready to be effective when played physical against.

And you know what? It took Datsyuk and Zetterberg years to do that too. And they didn't start out as top6 players either.

I don't know what to say other than Nyquist is NHL ready, whether he gets to start on a bottom line or a scoring line. Likewise with Tatar, of course.

Aug 6, 2012

Nyquist was an effective player in Detroit last year and his strength and balance have improved tremendously over the past year. Both Tatar and Nyquist have done great improving their strength and both can fit well on the third line.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I really hope Mrazek gets a start. Howard can't play every game, and while I haven't seen Mrazek play in the AHL, I've seen enough of him to know he's an extremely skilled goalie. I think he'd handle it just fine.

Wings have Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday games. I'd start Mrazek on Saturday against the Oilers, let Howard take on the reigning cup champs on National TV on Sunday.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
And you know what? It took Datsyuk and Zetterberg years to do that too. And they didn't start out as top6 players either.

I don't know what to say other than Nyquist is NHL ready, whether he gets to start on a bottom line or a scoring line. Likewise with Tatar, of course.

Datsyuk spent a lot of time with Hull. Hurdler spent most of his early years with Filppula plus others. We currently have 6 4th line forwards, none of which are skilled, and the only quasi-skilled guy - Eaves - is maddeningly inconsistent.

Putting Tatar on a line with our current bottom 6 will render Tatars offensive skill at even strength largely ineffective. You can't do much with a bunch of stone-handed line mates.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wings have Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday games. I'd start Mrazek on Saturday against the Oilers, let Howard take on the reigning cup champs on National TV on Sunday. Playing Howard for all these games would be playing with faith.

I would actually give him Tuesday, a weak opponent and I am concerned Howard is dinged from the collision during the St. Louis game. If he plays well you give him another weekend game.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

That's provided the Wings come out and look good when Mrazek starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad