Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

funruiner

Dec 20, 2018
Ontario
Wilson's approach in this fight was perfect. Go to the offensive right away. Its not like the old days when guys squared off.

For sure. You see the opening and you go. If he gave him even half a second to sort his life out and get positioned, that fight might have went another way.

Either way, great look for Wilson. Penguins should probably stop trying to play the physical game, not in their wheelhouse.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wilson is coming off of a concussion because some dumb bag of shit was running around trying to kill him while TW was attempting to keep his nose clean.

NO WAY he should let anyone else get the jump on him. If someone steps in the slightest, pound him immediately.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Wilson is coming off of a concussion because some dumb bag of **** was running around trying to kill him while TW was attempting to keep his nose clean.

NO WAY he should let anyone else get the jump on him. If someone steps in the slightest, pound him immediately.
You know what. I hope Reaves get traded to the Pens so Wilson can destroy him too.

Reactions: calicapsfan

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Tom Wilson is not Eric Lindros...Tom Wilson is not Eric Lindros...Tom Wilson is not Eric Lindros.

However, I'm really trying to think of all the guys in the league who possess the same size/speed/skill/NASTINESS that Lindros did. Evgeny Artyukhin came to mind, but he was about as dumb of a player as you could find. No, Wilson doesn't go 240 like Lindros or 260 like Artyukhin, but he's such a special talent. That contract is gonna look like a bargain if he can keep himself on the ice. Dude who can play in EVERY situation and is only 24. Sky is the limit for him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Tom Wilson is not Eric Lindros...Tom Wilson is not Eric Lindros...Tom Wilson is not Eric Lindros.

However, I'm really trying to think of all the guys in the league who possess the same size/speed/skill/NASTINESS that Lindros did. Evgeny Artyukhin came to mind, but he was about as dumb of a player as you could find. No, Wilson doesn't go 240 like Lindros or 260 like Artyukhin, but he's such a special talent. That contract is gonna look like a bargain if he can keep himself on the ice. Dude who can play in EVERY situation and is only 24. Sky is the limit for him.

Yeah, just who is Tom Wilson.

Its a tough one. I cannot think of a single player as yet. First and foremost, they need to be the most feared player/body checker, of their era. He is going to be a hybrid. Bob Nystrom + Owen Nolan

Lets keep it simple, who are ANY of the most feared body checkers of the past x decades? Some Caps - Stevens, Lou Franceschetti... I am omitting goons but think we will need to add them in. And we should omit defensemen I guess.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, just who is Tom Wilson.

Its a tough one. I cannot think of a single player as yet. First and foremost, they need to be the most feared player/body checker, of their era. He is going to be a hybrid. Bob Nystrom + Owen Nolan

Lets keep it simple, who are ANY of the most feared body checkers of the past x decades? Some Caps - Stevens, Lou Franceschetti... I am omitting goons but think we will need to add them in. And we should omit defensemen I guess.

I lean toward Chris Nilan as a guy who was thought of as just a goon but eventually put up some points (not quite the big physical checking presence iirc), and Chris Simon for a few years. But I'm not sure anyone has had quite the total package that TW is starting to show.

He's kind of a mix between Ovie, Hunter, and Simon.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I lean toward Chris Nilan as a guy who was thought of as just a goon but eventually put up some points (not quite the big physical checking presence iirc), and Chris Simon for a few years. But I'm not sure anyone has had quite the total package that TW is starting to show.

He's kind of a mix between Ovie, Hunter, and Simon.

Knuckles Nilan is a pretty good pull, but I don't recall him as a big body checker. Back then, all except a handful hit, so its probably tough to remember which ones were best. That is really what sets him apart to me.

Mark Messier! Less skill of course, but he stands out as someone unlike all the others during his time, and that is a trait Tom has currently - a unique skill set. And is a physical specimen. Look at the way Tom destroys guys. Messier was a total bad ass. Tom isn't finished cooking yet and is adding to his game, every year it seems.

Last edited:

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Adam Graves maybe?

Don’t really recall his hitting, but for his size I recall him being a tough hombre with skill.

Seabass of course, but his skilz I think might be a little beyond TW, at this point. In a few years who knows.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Are there any good technical fighters in hockey now? At one time players actually worked on their fighting skills. Tiger Williams came from a boxing family.
Fighting has changed in hockey they break up fights so quickly now. Wilson's approach in this fight was perfect. Go to the offensive right away. Its not like the old days when guys squared off.

I think some of the guys who fight more often still practise it. Most players propably not. It's not like it used to be before where guys who fought a lot were just about everyone taking boxing lessons.

There are still few but most of the good ones are half-way out of the league. Guys like Anthony Peluso for example. I think some of the smaller guys are technically very sound fighters like Max Domi, Michael Haley and Sam Bennett for example. Nick Foligno is a pretty good technical fighter too.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think some of the guys who fight more often still practise it. Most players propably not. It's not like it used to be before where guys who fought a lot were just about everyone taking boxing lessons.

There are still few but most of the good ones are half-way out of the league. Guys like Anthony Peluso for example. I think some of the smaller guys are technically very sound fighters like Max Domi, Michael Haley and Sam Bennett for example. Nick Foligno is a pretty good technical fighter too.
Ya I'm a great technical fighter too. I use the bar room brawler technique.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Is it me or did Karlsson just lay the exact same kind of hit Wilson got 20 games for against the Kings?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Is it me or did Karlsson just lay the exact same kind of hit Wilson got 20 games for against the Kings?
I saw one more like Reaves on Wilson, 65 being smaller makes it easier not to be a headshot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad