Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Any guy with rumours in his name is probably not reliable.

I could live with 6x4.5m but it's not ideal.

Ideally I just want to see a 2x3.5 deal. If Wilson proves he's worth it we'll pay him. Wilson's actual value to this team is too obscured to know if a long term high AAV deal is going to be worth it.

Not sure who runs this account but they were pretty legit throughout the entire UFA period including Caps stuff.

I'd be pretty happy with 4.5 x 6. Hopefully Wilson's team is too. I mean just take a look at some of the other 4.5-ish a year players in the NHL next year... It would make Wilson around the 200th highest paid player in the leauge. He's certainly in the top 200 most valuable players in the leauge due to all the things he brings to the table.

upload_2018-7-7_19-39-31-png.129047

upload_2018-7-7_19-39-31-png.129047

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hey Tom Wilson is like bro *****e cool! Screw all this stats stuff!

Weren't his fancy stats good last year?

The complaint his critics have is he isn't a 20+ goal scorer on the top line. That's not his only job, and for those other things there's nobody better in the league.

Plus, again, he's not on the PP. How many top line players in the league are scoring more even strength goals than Tom Wilson with same or less PP time? Very few if any. Point being TW's job on that line was not to rack up goals and assists like a typical scoring winger that's also a PP guy, but not much else. His job was to make things easier for Kuzy and Ovie. Still, Kuzy only had like 6 more ESG than Wilson on that same line. What's he making?

KWPower

Mar 1, 2018
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I would absolutely love a 7x6 deal for Wilson. He does so much for the team and the cap is going to be way higher by the team the deal is up. Buys his prime years for a very reasonable price.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I would absolutely love a 7x6 deal for Wilson. He does so much for the team and the cap is going to be way higher by the team the deal is up. Buys his prime years for a very reasonable price.

That’s too rich for me. While he was a big part of this year, it was one year. A 7x6 has too great a risk of turning into an anchor contract. Could Wilson continue to improve? Sure but he has a way to go to be worth 6 imo

KWPower

Mar 1, 2018
Thunder Bay, Ontario
That’s too rich for me. While he was a big part of this year, it was one year. A 7x6 has too great a risk of turning into an anchor contract. Could Wilson continue to improve? Sure but he has a way to go to be worth 6 imo
If he were to sign for cheaper that would be awesome, but buying those years won't come cheap and I imagine that's what he'd be asking for. Everything he does for the team on and off the ice makes him worth it to me even if it's expensive. This is based off the thought that the cap will continue to rise a lot by the time the contract is over.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Well thought out points from everyone, Wilson is hot commodity for Washington!

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If he were to sign for cheaper that would be awesome, but buying those years won't come cheap and I imagine that's what he'd be asking for. Everything he does for the team on and off the ice makes him worth it to me even if it's expensive. This is based off the thought that the cap will continue to rise a lot by the time the contract is over.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of galdi’s “Today’s overpay is tomorrow’s deal” mentality when it comes to the cap. But there is still a limit to that. Wilson still has some “unknowns “ in his game so there is some more risk involved

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Heh, if Wilson gets a 7x6 contract offer from the Caps, he and his agent need to lock themselves in a room for a week looking for the fine print under a microscope, specifically for terms like "first-born child", "immortal soul", etc.

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
i dont think either side is in a rush. right now if i had to guess, they stuck on years. wilson wants to cash in sooner

So how long could it realistically drag on if they're not in a hurry but both generally committed to getting a deal done? I'll admit this is probably the closest I've followed the offseason as a fan given that I usually exit the playoffs with such a bad taste in my mouth.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So how long could it realistically drag on if they're not in a hurry but both generally committed to getting a deal done? I'll admit this is probably the closest I've followed the offseason as a fan given that I usually exit the playoffs with such a bad taste in my mouth.

Well you also have to remember that since he didnt file for arbitration, another team can offer him a contract too. Caps can match that so he playing his cards

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That's an insane price in a world where Kuznetsov's $7.8M contract was deemed high at the time it was signed.

Jun 15, 2007
Short term prove it contract (2x3.5) or a long term security contract (8x4.5).

Something like 6x5 would be the worst option imo.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Short term prove it contract (2x3.5) or a long term security contract (8x4.5).

Something like 6x5 would be the worst option imo.
I'm thinking Wilson wants a short term deal. A long term deal could hurt him at the end of the deal if he continues to develope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad