Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Marcus Foligno? Really? I don't know every player on that list. I see McLeod. He plays occasionally for the Rangers.

When 4 fights leads the NHL at this point in a season, I would say that Wilson is all the enforcer the Caps need.
Best I can tell the Caps have only had 4 fights this season and one was Eller getting mugged by Marchand.
A we havent fought much. Orlov got his ass kicked in another fight. Wilson in one fight and I think Bowey got in a fight. Niskanen was in an altercation but I dont think he was given a major. That's pretty bad you can remember every fight.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I know I shouldn't do this but.....Why is it bad?
Because we aren't a tough team. Teams gave had their way with us, especially when Wilson was out.
The Caps have been the recipients of several dirty plays and nothing has been done about any of them.
Kempny took a cheapshot in preseason. Eller got mugged by Marchand. Malkin with an intentional headshot on Oshie. Kuznetsov and Oshie then suffer concussions in the same game, both on dirty plays and then Reaves literally stalked Wilson until he took him out. And those are only the more serious incidents. Teams have taken liberties with us, the league has allowed it but most of all we have allowed it.
I know there is a lot less fighting then there ever used to be but even in today's game their is no other team that would allow their best players get run like this. We just watch it happen.
In all honesty I'm not even a big fan of having a goon to protect your players but at some point you have to defend yourselves.
I think a few members here would agree with that last statement. Pretty sure RandyHolt would agree.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know there is a lot less fighting then there ever used to be but even in today's game their is no other team that would allow their best players get run like this. We just watch it happen.

Oh please. Wilson trucks the best players on the other team regularly and has for years. Most teams watch it and those that try to deter it, fail miserably.

In the case of the Caps, they have Wilson and they have Orpik. They have Ovechkin and they have Oshie. None of these players allow it. Neither does Niskanen. Hell, Backstrom can be downright mean when the time is right. The idea that this team isn't tough enough is a load. :blah:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Would you trade Tom Wilson even up for Filip Forsberg?
Nope. No knock on FF, but he’s a fairly typical skilled scoring winger. Those are not a dime a dozen but they’re not that rare a commodity. Wilson is an all-situations power forward who is the best hitter in the game and intimidates other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan and txpd

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Oh please. Wilson trucks the best players on the other team regularly and has for years. Most teams watch it and those that try to deter it, fail miserably.

In the case of the Caps, they have Wilson and they have Orpik. They have Ovechkin and they have Oshie. None of these players allow it. Neither does Niskanen. Hell, Backstrom can be downright mean when the time is right. The idea that this team isn't tough enough is a load. :blah:
That is a very inaccurate statement. Backstrom mean? Give your head a shake. Ovi tough? That's debatable. He is big and strong but has lost every fight he has been in. Even Orpik isnt really a fighter. Oshie can hold his own but do we want our top players doing that type of thing.
And dont oh please me. Nothing I have said wasnt true.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
That is a very inaccurate statement. Backstrom mean? Give your head a shake. Ovi tough? That's debatable. He is big and strong but has lost every fight he has been in. Even Orpik isnt really a fighter. Oshie can hold his own but do we want our top players doing that type of thing.

Who are the tough guy fighters on Pittsburgh? Tampa? Nashville?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nope. No knock on FF, but he’s a fairly typical skilled scorning winger. Those are not a dime a dozen but they’re not that rare a commodity. Wilson is an all-situations power forward who is the best hitter in the game and intimidates other teams.
I agree. There really are no other players like Wilson in the league. He is a big, strong , physical, power forward that also has skill, can skate and is good defensively.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Would you trade Tom Wilson even up for Filip Forsberg?

Not a chance.

I like Forsberg a lot, he is highly skilled, very feisty, and has performed well in the playoffs but his recent injury history is starting to scare me and Wilson provides more value come playoff time (assuming he stays on the ice).

Reality though, I would love to have both of them, with Forsberg playing on the wing or third line center.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nope. No knock on FF, but he’s a fairly typical skilled scorning winger. Those are not a dime a dozen but they’re not that rare a commodity. Wilson is an all-situations power forward who is the best hitter in the game and intimidates other teams.

I think McPhee and Mahoney and perhaps MacLellan had the right idea. Wilson was the prize. The trade was still stupid but not that they prioritized Wilson of the two.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

:banghead::banghead::banghead: ….I forgot. You know more than anyone. :bow::bow::bow:

Reactions: searle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not a chance.

I like Forsberg a lot, he is highly skilled, very feisty, and has performed well in the playoffs but his recent injury history is starting to scare me and Wilson provides more value come playoff time (assuming he stays on the ice).

Reality though, I would love to have both of them, with Forsberg playing on the wing or third line center.

I think I would rather have gotten something of value for Forsberg when he was traded. I am not sure what Forsberg looks like as a Cap. He slots in where Burakovsky and Vrana do. He was almost immediately on pp1 and a primary puck toucher on it in Nashville. He still wouldn't be doing that for the Caps.

The worst case scenario is they decide to go with Forsberg rather than trade for Oshie. Which would have been a disaster.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
So many ifs its probably not worth worrying about.
Yes the FF trade was disgustingly bad... But it paved the way for GMGM to leave and to get someone in who eventually build a cup winning roster which is something GMGM could never quite polish.

Reactions: calicapsfan

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What kind of concussion did Willy have? He only missed like 3 games and looks like he did before.
I still remember how Oshie looked when he came back, although that was hardly his first one. :(

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What kind of concussion did Willy have? He only missed like 3 games and looks like he did before.
I still remember how Oshie looked when he came back, although that was hardly his first one. :(

Media based on seeing Wilson walking around and talking to him after the game he was hurt and the next day at the hotel said that he seemed fine. They wondered if he might play the next game. I think he was being held out as cautionary. It appears the Caps held Oshie out for a minimum of a full week after he passed his tests. Might be the team is being very careful with these things.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Easy no, but that's primarily because I wouldn't mess with the chemistry of this SC team.

Starting a new team I might take Forsberg.
Yup, except there's no "might" for me on the second part. I don't make the trade straight-up given the current makeup of the Caps, and the league in general. The Caps have plenty of skill in the top-6 , and need the unique combo of skill, speed, gri,t and power that Wilson brings to knit it all together. Forsberg is dearly the better player in a vacuum.

It is (now mildly) infuriating that we can have the conversation now, since we shouldn't have had to choose.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Might be the team is being very careful with these things.

Given the scenario of being in first place and the unpredictable nature of concussions, they'd would be absolute fools not to act with an abundance of caution.

And they aren't fools.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Reaves is exposed and humiliated by a clown show no-name blogger, and has to grin and take it. Not very much like a lion in the jungle.
Eh, it actually works when you think about it. First, lions do not live in jungles. Second, male lions typically lays around for about 20 hrs a day and rarely hunts. Kind of like Reeves in G5 of the Finals!

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Eh, it actually works when you think about it. First, lions do not live in jungles. Second, male lions typically lays around for about 20 hrs a day and rarely hunts. Kind of like Reeves in G5 of the Finals!

It sounds like we need to send in that Barstool reporter for a followup interview, but with your info in his arsenal. He will likely need a helmet... heck a proper body guard. One may even say, a goon.

We called up Lewington. PERFECT. Seeing how bad our team looked without Willy, and then the scoring tear he went on when he got back and our team playing much better, this all points to needing him in our lineup. And that points to him needing assistance in his goonly duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille