Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also, I've never seen Wilson chase someone around like that, clearly and overtly trying to injure someone. That's what's so galling.

Right. That's exactly what I was saying in the threads on the main board but of course it's always the same circular, false argument from the Wilson haters.

Reactions: Drakon

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Wilson is #12 in the NHL in points per game, one spot below Crosby, two above Ovechkin, at the moment.

NHL.com - Stats

Just for the sake of the Wilson PPG watch, I hope he somehow retains his spot on PP1 even after Oshie returns. I have a feeling he won't. But I also feel like he is actually pretty good there in the middle of the power play.

Meh, Oshie has a better shot and is a better playmaker and a better passer. The PP1 is better off with Oshie.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You know why I like Willy on PP1?

It keeps your top line intact, which helps when the PP is over. Sure, Willy has PK duties, but I have always been a fan of using a teams top line, on PP1. It helps with chemistry and avoiding slumps. And common sense says your top line should be able to score on the PP if expected to at ES.

While its easy for all of us to admit Oshie is a better fit, but then how do we gauge the line juggling that happens afterwards. Willy is chilling watching Oshie on PP1, and waiting and waiting to get back out there after Ovi is rested, when in reality, Willy is now one of our best players.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
While its easy for all of us to admit Oshie is a better fit, but then how do we gauge the line juggling that happens afterwards. Willy is chilling watching Oshie on PP1, and waiting and waiting to get back out there after Ovi is rested, when in reality, Willy is now one of our best players.

Wouldn't the same also be true of Oshie waiting for either Kuz or Backstrom?

I guess to a lesser extent since Ovie often plays PP1 and PP2.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Was watching nhl central and that douche Colby Armstrong made a good point.

Said league, dops, will call players to warn them about questionable hits. He himself was called by shanahan years ago.

However, he mused if they do that when players put themselves in terrible positions. Said a call like this “hey, you dummy, pull your head out of your ass and quit putting yourself in a bad place”.

I didn’t catch the end of the talk so I don’t know what was said. It’s a good point, and if the league doesn’t, they really should start.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Monitoring a sick baby, can someone summarize the video?

Pretty epic burns by the guy in the white hat.

He asks for Reaves to sign a picture of Wilson holding up the Cup saying "this is your one chance to get your name on the Cup", Reaves turns him down.

The guy recording says to Reaves "You CAN hit him", the white hat guy says to Reaves he could hit me but "I'd have to turn around first, or you could hit me while I'm facing the other way, then we could watch the game from the press box". :laugh:

Nate Schmidt in the foreground is laughing his ass off.

Pretty ballsy stuff from the white hat guy actually.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Wilson's response to lion in the jungle Reaves's classless acts was great.

Wilson is good people. Reaves is a clown and does not belong in this sport. His showboating, arrogance, and general tomfoolery and "look at me" attitude is more fitting for football or basketball. Hockey is supposed to be a different breed of person.

This whole mess reminded me a little of when Aaron Asham fought Jay Beagle and knocked him out. AA made that "lights out sleepy time" gesture, without realizing at that moment that Beagle was truly out cold, not just knocked down. After the game Asham publicly apologized for his taunt to Beags. I thought, it was a classless move but it was heat of the battle and he immediately regretted it and manned up to it, end of issue. And then there's Reaves, who talks endless smack (lion? um no), does a bad taste picture signing well after the heat of battle, and then pretty much lies about why the picture was not going to be sold. Most all hockey players, even when they make a mistake, are solid guys who try to do whats right as much as possible. Reaves is just a clown show from start to finish.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Willy has quickly evolved to being above having to fight the thugs of the league. It's been a very impressive rapid evolution that have the haters scratching their heads. And its definitely something Reaves struggles to understand.

I think Todd needs to call up a heavy the handful of times its warranted, and not force Tom to have to deal with it all singlehanded, as he did vs Vegas.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Todd needs to call up a heavy the handful of times its warranted, and not force Tom to have to deal with it all singlehanded, as he did vs Vegas.

Todd doesn't make the call ups and a heavy is an outdated term. There is no such thing. There are not that many thugs. Most of the one's there are don't want anything to do with Wilson.

You would scratch Boyd for a 5 shift game from a "heavy"?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
When we face our next goon I will let you know who to scratch. Or does our GM make scratches too. I actually think GMs and coaches work hand in hand.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It is subject to game to game call ups. Ok Pinocchio. The modern day goons are punks. When do we play Boston next?

Current list
NHL Fighting Majors Leaders for the 2018-2019 Regular Season

Marcus Foligno? Really? I don't know every player on that list. I see McLeod. He plays occasionally for the Rangers.

When 4 fights leads the NHL at this point in a season, I would say that Wilson is all the enforcer the Caps need.
Best I can tell the Caps have only had 4 fights this season and one was Eller getting mugged by Marchand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->