Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
1) The hit isn't clean. The on ice officials and the league have already determined that. You can moan and ***** about it all you want, but that doesn't change your opinion that it was clean - it wasn't. However even your comparison using Kadri vs Sedin is wrong, because Kadri got a hell of a lot more of the shoulder of Sedin then Wilson could even pretend to have gotten.

2) I never said there wasn't an option for Wilson to appeal the suspension he will be getting. He can and almost certainly will appeal it. I said that there's no chance he will win that. Because if he appeals, he appeals to Bettman. Do you really see Bettman wiping out the suspension? Not a chance in hell. He might get a couple games knocked off if DoPS grows some balls and hands out a big enough suspension (like 15+), but given that it's likely in the 8-12 game range, and with Wilson's very recent history of multiple hits like this (and subsequent suspensions for said hits), it's unlikely that anything will change.

As for having to get personal, just sad.

1) The on-ice officials have to make an instant judgment and usually don't have that much say in suspensions. With the Kadri hit on Sendin he was kicked out of the game but not suspended. And I'm arguing the hit is clean and you cannot show any proof of a dirty hit other then "he has an in-person meeting." I am 100% willing to admit I am wrong if there is a camera angle that shows his principal hit is to the head.
The whole point of me arguing for Wilson is because the video evidence we've all seen so far (and this is the point I am getting to) doesn't show that. However, maybe the league has a different camera angle we've haven't seen and might be why there is an in-person meeting

2) According to this, Flames' Wideman suspension reduced on appeal, when Wideman got his suspension reduced there is an NHL/NHLPA Neutral Discipline Arbitrator and in 2016 his name was James Oldham

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Wow am I ever SHOCKED that the former NHLers on Spittin Chiclets are defending Tom Wilson and criticizing Sundqvist. Can't believe those idiots think they know more about the game than us dorks on HF.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Hits like that were the reason players didn't used to cut to the middle of the ice with their heads down. You know, back when they used to play hockey

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
1) The on-ice officials have to make an instant judgment and usually don't have that much say in suspensions. With the Kadri hit on Sendin he was kicked out of the game but not suspended. And I'm arguing the hit is clean and you cannot show any proof of a dirty hit other then "he has an in-person meeting." I am 100% willing to admit I am wrong if there is a camera angle that shows his principal hit is to the head.
The whole point of me arguing for Wilson is because the video evidence we've all seen so far (and this is the point I am getting to) doesn't show that. However, maybe the league has a different camera angle we've haven't seen and might be why there is an in-person meeting

2) According to this, Flames' Wideman suspension reduced on appeal, when Wideman got his suspension reduced there is an NHL/NHLPA Neutral Discipline Arbitrator and in 2016 his name was James Oldham
The rule now states that the head being the main point of contact when contact with the head was avoidable, not principal.

By rule 48.1 this pretty clearly fits illegal check to the head. Wilson took a poor angle and did not hit squarely through his opponent’s body.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Is anyone saying Wilson didn't make contact with his head? Because I'm not

AGAIN you can hit someone in the head as long as the principal contact isn't with the head. And until I see a video where his first contract is to the head I don't see why Wilson should be suspended

The hit looks really bad because it was a blindside hit. Blindside hits SHOULD be illegal, but they are not

Reposting this for you:

sundqvist-jpg.143197
sundqvist1-jpg.143199
sundqvist2-jpg.143201

There has been a number of posts saying that either they couldn't see the principle point of contact or denial that it was the head. If the principle point of contact had been the shoulder there would have been a whiplash effect of Sundqvist's head going towards Wilson. That is the exact opposite of what took place. Had Wilson got shoulder on shoulder Wilson would not have skated by him so easily after the contact was made. There would have been a more abrupt collision.

It's clear the head is indeed the main point of contact. Sundqvist's head spins first as it's the main point of contact. The body follows the head as clearly shown. Wilson easily skates by him and indeed immediately takes a swipe at MacEachern's stick. There's little doubt Wilson is trying to injure Sundqvist and knew he laid him out. Thus the immediate reaction looking for anyone else to do something about it.

Attachments

• Sundqvist.jpg
    Sundqvist.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sundqvist1.jpg
    Sundqvist1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sundqvist2.jpg
    Sundqvist2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Kadri's hit on Daniel Sedin. Looks very familiar huh, he was also ejected from the game and guess what...NOT SUSPENDED! If the league suspends Wilson then I fully expect Wilson to challenge and will get it overturned.

I'm a Leaf fan.

Blindside hits are legal and as long as the principal contact isn't the head, headshots are legal as well. The league needs to show this was a direct headshot for a suspension and if they cant and still do suspend Wilson will just challenge the suspension

You should read rule 48.1 because most of the claims you’re making regarding the illegal contact to the head rule aren’t accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cellee

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
If this were any other player you could possibly understand that it was a bad decision. But this is Tom Wilson with an extensive history of hurting people with dangerous plays. The purpose of a check us to separate a player from the puck in a way that doesn't result in serious injury. Tom Wilson doesn't understand this and sadly many here don't either. If you want to see this league collapse with CTE lawsuits in the future, keep defending the indefensible and pray that Tom Wilson or those like him don't kill or paralyze a player in the meantime.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Has there ever been an in-person hearing that didn't result in a 5+ game suspension? It's pretty well established that he's going to get suspended, I'm surprised there's so many people here still saying it was clean.

It has happened but it’s rare. I don’t recall the specific player, but there was an in person hearing where the player received a 4 game suspension like five years ago or so. Has probably happened other times in the past.

I’d look at the hearing as an opportunity for the player to explain the situation in their own words to he DoPS in the hopes of some leniency.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You should read rule 48.1 because most of the claims you’re making regarding the illegal contact to the head rule aren’t accurate.

48.1(ii) talks about how if a player puts himself in a vulnerable position and it seems like more then a few people are saying Sundqvist did a dumb play. However I'm not arguing this point, my point has always been Wilson main point of contact was shoulder

BUT,
I will admit this doesn't look good,

Reposting this for you:

sundqvist-jpg.143197
sundqvist1-jpg.143199
sundqvist2-jpg.143201

There has been a number of posts saying that either they couldn't see the principle point of contact or denial that it was the head. If the principle point of contact had been the shoulder there would have been a whiplash effect of Sundqvist's head going towards Wilson. That is the exact opposite of what took place. Had Wilson got shoulder on shoulder Wilson would not have skated by him so easily after the contact was made. There would have been a more abrupt collision.

It's clear the head is indeed the main point of contact. Sundqvist's head spins first as it's the main point of contact. The body follows the head as clearly shown. Wilson easily skates by him and indeed immediately takes a swipe at MacEachern's stick. There's little doubt Wilson is trying to injure Sundqvist and knew he laid him out. Thus the immediate reaction looking for anyone else to do something about it.

And IMHO while the apparent headshot is bad I want the league to remove blindsided hits

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Wow am I ever SHOCKED that the former NHLers on Spittin Chiclets are defending Tom Wilson and criticizing Sundqvist. Can't believe those idiots think they know more about the game than us dorks on HF.
Lmao let’s see who is on spittin chiclets, oh ya Bissonnette the career 4th Line bruiser/AHL tweeners and Ryan Whitney a grinder who never amounted to anything. These are the same guys who talk about drinking beers on the team bus and hookups with chicks. Ffs, yeah let’s use those guys as the benchmark.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
first of all the guy should have had his head up

that said

I still can't make it out whether the principal point of contact was the head;

if it was; I hope the League sits his ass down with absolutely no pay for the first 25 games

if it wasn't the head; then meh...... just move on.

Any news on how Sundqvist is doing?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I wonder why they're not in the league any more? Couldn't possibly be because the game passed them by...

Reactions: The Note in MI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad