Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think the problem with this discussion is that many here never played a physical sport like hockey and football.

Blindside hits are readily available on nearly every play in football and every shift in hockey. For those who claim "keep your head up", you haven't played.

The reason there aren't more of these hits is that most reasonable people understand the danger you are putting your opponent in and simply choose avoiding the contact. But every once in a while, a player comes along that doesn't play by humane rules. In a pick up game, Wilson most likely would be attacked by the opposing team for delivering this type of hit (I have even seen own teammates go after players for this type of behavior).

It's a sucker punch, delivered with a shoulder rather than a fist. What I'm really surprised by is that no victim of Wilson or Cooke ever went after them with even a dirtier play. I had this type of hit delivered to me once and I snapped emotionally and tried to decapitate my opponent with a vicious cross check to the back of his neck. The way I looked at it, he could have killed me, I'm returning the objective.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He should be allowed to play in the game devoted to the cup raising banner. Ban him for a game or 2 after that one

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
@Habby Gilmore So what exactly is your point? His head is up, he's aware of what's going on. He's attempting a SOG. He's not crouched. He's probably aware that he's about to get crunched out of the corner of his eye. What exactly did he do wrong here? He's not in a compromising position. He's doing everything right. It's on the guy doing the hitting to do so in a legal manner. Sundqvist isn't exposing himself to a dangerous play by turning against the boards or something like that which people always moan about, he's making a hockey play and took a shoulder to the head after it. What is he supposed to do? Not make the play because he might get crunched or might be on the receiving end of a headshot? What do you want him to do?

He should be allowed to play in the game devoted to the cup raising banner. Ban him for a game or 2 after that one

What the hell? Why? And 2 games? Laughable.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
@Habby Gilmore So what exactly is your point? His head is up, he's aware of what's going on. He's attempting a SOG. He's not crouched. He's probably aware that he's about to get crunched out of the corner of his eye. What exactly did he do wrong here? He's not in a compromising position. He's doing everything right. It's on the guy doing the hitting to do so in a legal manner. Sundqvist isn't exposing himself to a dangerous play by turning against the boards or something like that which people always moan about, he's making a hockey play and took a shoulder to the head after it. What is he supposed to do? Not make the play because he might get crunched or might be on the receiving end of a headshot? What do you want him to do?

What the hell? Why? And 2 games? Laughable.

I’m sorry man but if he was aware he wouldn’t have go smoked like he did, no player is gonna take a hit that hard just to get off a shot from a low percentage area. Even if that hit had been delivered cleanly that kid was getting absolutely rocked. Cutting through the center is always a dangerous this to do, and right after a player takes a shot he’s very prone to get hit and generally looking in the direction of the shot he just took.

Reactions: Steven and The Nuge

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
@IceNeophyte
I have to applaud someone who uses airline safety records to rationalize a dirty and dangerous hit.
Where do you see I rationalize dirty hits? I just wanted to show you that numbers of incidents doesn't show how frequent they are. 4/100 headhits isnt same as 4/1000. Rate is important if we want to find out if intention is there or it's a simple misluck that has to occur because of high rate hitting.

@Ms Maggie

Airplanes much safer than cars. Not even close.

Carry on.

Which Is Safer: Airplanes or Cars?

They use per hour data which is not correct. If you compare per trip data, driving is much safer.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I’m sorry man but if he was aware he wouldn’t have go smoked like he did, no player is gonna take a hit that hard just to get off a shot from a low percentage area. Even if that hit had been delivered cleanly that kid was getting absolutely rocked. Cutting through the center is always a dangerous this to do, and right after a player takes a shot he’s very prone to get hit and generally looking in the direction of the shot he just took.

He took the risk to be hit legally. He didn't accept the risk of being clocked in the head because it's against the rules. The same way players don't accept the risk of someone taking off their skate and trying to stab them with it.

This false distraction routine is tiresome.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
@IceNeophyte

Where do you see I rationalize dirty hits? I just wanted to show you that numbers of incidents doesn't show how frequent they are. 4/100 headhits isnt same as 4/1000. Rate is important if we want to find out if intention is there or it's a simple misluck that has to occur because of high rate hitting.

@Ms Maggie

They use per hour data which is not correct. If you compare per trip data, driving is much safer.

Why would you compare accidents per trip? Accidents per mile or accidents per time unit make more sense.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
I guess my point boils down to this, we can keep punishing these hits and continue to do so, but until players stop leaving themselves prone to hits like this they will just continue to happen.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

That's not true at all. You see players take big hits all the time to get a pass or shot off. Not only that he's keeping the puck away from the defender who's attempting to engage him. You're placing all of the blame on the guy being hit and excusing the hitter of any and all responsibility because "it's his job to not put himself in that position." Which, again, he's done nothing to put himself in a vulnerable position except skate in a certain direction. Your argument is terrible.
@IceNeophyte

@Ms Maggie

pbox.php

Stop. Just stop.

Reactions: Macbanan

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I guess my point boils down to this, we can keep punishing these hits and continue to do so, but until players stop leaving themselves prone to hits like this they will just continue to happen.

If that was true all players in the league would receive multiple suspensions per year. So I guess your point boils down to nothing.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Why would you compare accidents per trip? Accidents per mile or accidents per time unit make more sense.
Biased "experts" use the per-hour statistic because it favors aviation due to the fact that it spreads the riskiest parts of flying--takeoff and landing--over all of the hours of a flight, therefore making flying seem safer than driving because the average flight is much longer than the average car trip.

But using the much more common-sensical statistic of per trip, driving and other modes of transportation are safer than flying.

Obviously what should be compared is the likelihood that you will arrive at your destination in one piece. Using the per-trip method is the way to make that much more valid comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad