Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Wow am I ever SHOCKED that the former NHLers on Spittin Chiclets are defending Tom Wilson and criticizing Sundqvist. Can't believe those idiots think they know more about the game than us dorks on HF.
It sounds like you have never played the game then. I have no clue what any of them said but I'm sure they talked about skating through the center of the ice with your head down. This hit is obviously on Wilson. Sundqviust did put himself in a vulnerable position. He would have been demolished on that play even on a clean hit.

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I will take that knowledge over the nerds on here who have never touched a stick before in their life.
Ah yes the good old endear your point of view through unnecessary insults that might not even be objectively true (I played hockey for years, as one example).

That'll make people start loving Wilson for sure.

Reactions: Riptide

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It sounds like you have never played the game then. I have no clue what any of them said but I'm sure they talked about skating through the center of the ice with your head down. This hit is obviously on Wilson. Sundqviust did put himself in a vulnerable position. He would have been demolished on that play even on a clean hit.
Sure and there's nothing inherently wrong with a clean hit because they usually don't involve contact with the head.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
1) The on-ice officials have to make an instant judgment and usually don't have that much say in suspensions. With the Kadri hit on Sendin he was kicked out of the game but not suspended. And I'm arguing the hit is clean and you cannot show any proof of a dirty hit other then "he has an in-person meeting." I am 100% willing to admit I am wrong if there is a camera angle that shows his principal hit is to the head.
The whole point of me arguing for Wilson is because the video evidence we've all seen so far (and this is the point I am getting to) doesn't show that. However, maybe the league has a different camera angle we've haven't seen and might be why there is an in-person meeting

2) According to this, Flames' Wideman suspension reduced on appeal, when Wideman got his suspension reduced there is an NHL/NHLPA Neutral Discipline Arbitrator and in 2016 his name was James Oldham
TBF Wideman's suspension was not levied by the DoPS, and it hinged on whether it was an intentional or accidental interaction with the linesman.

When was the last time a DoPS ruling has been overturned? I would imagine they get a lot of deference in any subsequent review.

Reactions: Slot and mouser

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think the problem with this discussion is that many here never played a physical sport like hockey and football.

Blindside hits are readily available on nearly every play in football and every shift in hockey. For those who claim "keep your head up", you haven't played.

The reason there aren't more of these hits is that most reasonable people understand the danger you are putting your opponent in and simply choose avoiding the contact. But every once in a while, a player comes along that doesn't play by humane rules. In a pick up game, Wilson most likely would be attacked by the opposing team for delivering this type of hit (I have even seen own teammates go after players for this type of behavior).

It's a sucker punch, delivered with a shoulder rather than a fist. What I'm really surprised by is that no victim of Wilson or Cooke ever went after them with even a dirtier play. I had this type of hit delivered to me once and I snapped emotionally and tried to decapitate my opponent with a vicious cross check to the back of his neck. The way I looked at it, he could have killed me, I'm returning the objective.
Are you for real? If you have played competitive hockey or football then you know to keep your head up. When I played I've been caught with my head down and got rocked and ended up with a concussion. Doesnt necessarily mean the hit was dirty.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sure and there's nothing inherently wrong with a clean hit because they usually don't involve contact with the head.
My point was that Sundqvist did put himself in a vulnerable position.
Gotta say I'm very disappointed in Wilson for this hit.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I will take that knowledge over the nerds on here who have never touched a stick before in their life.

Take it however you want... it's not going to change the fact that he's going to get suspended, and it's not exactly going to be a short suspension.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Take it however you want... it's not going to change the fact that he's going to get suspended, and it's not exactly going to be a short suspension.
How many games do you think the suspension is going to be?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Repeat offender hasn't learned anything 10-15 games maybe more.

A solid 20 should do it. To be honest though he’s been spoken to so many times I doubt it gets through to him.

As my wise grandfather always said “ a Zebra can’t change its spots and a Leapord can’t become a lap dog”

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I dont see it as a blind side hit, they're skating right at each other. The guy has the puck so he's available to be hit. I think the elbow is tucked. He makes contact with the head which is todays no no. I dont understand how you can avoid the head in many situations without flat out avoiding contact - which doesnt make sense for hockey. Im old though. I've never really minded this guy.

Get off my lawn.

Reactions: hockey4sale

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I dont see it as a blind side hit, they're skating right at each other. The guy has the puck so he's available to be hit. I think the elbow is tucked. He makes contact with the head which is todays no no. I dont understand how you can avoid the head in many situations without flat out avoiding contact - which doesnt make sense for hockey. Im old though. I've never really minded this guy.

Get off my lawn.
I'm going to respectfully disregard your age as a factor to ask: really?

You really think it was impossible to lay a hit there without lifting the shoulder up high?

Reactions: Riptide

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I am guessing 10 games to start the season.

In retrospect, I am wondering if he still thinks that pre-season hit was worth $630,000. Not sure there is much between the ears....so probably.

Reactions: Ebbisen and BBB24

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm going to respectfully disregard your age as a factor to ask: really?

You really think it was impossible to lay a hit there without lifting the shoulder up high?
coming from Wilson's angle, what else is there to hit? Shoulder low or high he's making head contact - in that situation the forward is leading with his face. His shoulders are behind the head involved with the shot. Even if he's going for the shoulder, which he probably is in his small mind - the head will get in the way almost every time.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
coming from Wilson's angle, what else is there to hit? Shoulder low or high he's making head contact - in that situation the forward is leading with his face. His shoulders are behind the head involved with the shot. Even if he's going for the shoulder, which he probably is in his small mind - the head will get in the way almost every time.
Maybe the real question is: Why even make the hit?

Reactions: HugginThePost

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How many games do you think the suspension is going to be?

If you go on the basis that PO games = 1.5/2 RS games, his last suspension being 3 PO games, would be equivalent to 5 or 6 RS games. Based on that, I think it's possible he gets 7 games, but more likely to be in the 8-10 range. I mean ideally it would be more (much more), but I think 8-10 is about all we'll realistically see.

Reactions: Slot

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
And notice how fast it was. It's easy to say he was targeting the head when you watch it at slow mo. I think u can't adjust much at that speed and while bracing yourself for a contact.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If you go on the basis that PO games = 1.5/2 RS games, his last suspension being 3 PO games, would be equivalent to 5 or 6 RS games. Based on that, I think it's possible he gets 7 games, but more likely to be in the 8-10 range. I mean ideally it would be more (much more), but I think 8-10 is about all we'll realistically see.
20 would be nice, show they actually care about the health of the players from a repeat predator

Someone needs to be made an example of - no better person for it IMO

Reactions: Slot

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
I don't understand how these hits can be justified or mitigated in any way by saying "protect yourself, keep your head up, yadda yadda yadda."

How about giving a guy a big bruise on his shoulder and/or chest and making him sore and generally uncomfortable for several days? That should be the consequence of "not keeping your head up."

Not getting blasted in the head.

Hurt guys. Don't injure them. Wilson injures guys. He hasn't stopped injuring guys. By all reports Sundqvist was injured by the hit and will miss time. Possibly significant time. Enough is enough.

And any talk of "how can you avoid the head there?" is just nonsense. NHL players are experienced professionals. There are thousands of hits every season when the guy getting hit doesn't get headshotted. From all kinds of angles and at all kinds of speeds.

If you can't avoid the head then don't make the hit.

Last edited:

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
And notice how fast it was. It's easy to say he was targeting the head when you watch it at slow mo. I think u can't adjust much at that speed and while bracing yourself for a contact.

Once you brace yourself to hit someone there is almost no stopping it from happening at that point. By the time your consciously decide to let off it’s to late.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe the real question is: Why even make the hit?

He has to make a hit there - you can't let someone cross the blueline like that. I don't fault him for hitting Sundqvist, I fault him for 1) missing Sundqvist's shoulder and mainly hitting him in the head and 2) raising up into the hit. He could have lowered his shoulder without hitting high, and he didn't. Wilson CHOSE to go in high on Sundqvist. And then like what frequently seems to happen with Wilson and his hits, he "missed" the shoulder... but it was close, so that counts right? It was an accident, so no biggie right?

Don't miss Sundqvist's shoulder for starters? You're allowed to hit people in the head, as long it's incidental or unavoidable - this was neither. Sundqvist was legally allowed to be hit... you just can't miss, and Wilson (we'll be generous here) did.

The shoulder with pads sticks out almost 1 foot more than the head. Now Sundqvist was leaning over a bit, so Wilson didn't have that much space/clearance, but if he had actually managed to hit the shoulder (would have required him to lower his shoulder instead of him doing his trade mark hitting high), then it wouldn't have mattered what happened to the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->