Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I like this dude derailing the thread with airline statistics to distract from the fact that his boy is a piece of **** who is about to be suspended yet again
Lol Distracted from what? Pretty much every active hfboards member has already gave his opinion about this incident.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I get that people are outrage because it’s Wilson, but this just isn’t that bad to me. He’s basically skating at him head on, and Sundqvist suddenly turns to shoot. No, Sundqvist didn’t really do anything wrong, but it’s not Wilson’s fault that he suddenly changed positions either. The NHL looks at whether the player changed their body position immediately prior to contact, to determine if the contact with the head was unavoidable, and Sundqvist did.

The hit itself isn't terrible, and viewed without looking at who the hitter is, wouldn't get more than a game or two (if that). The issue is that it's Wilson doing the hitting, and this will be his 4th suspension and I think 6-7th hit that the league has looked at in the past 53 weeks (and that's just going from the PO hits). He's going to get 8-10 games for this - maybe more if we're lucky, to again try and teach a lesson to Wilson (and others) that this isn't acceptable.

As for Sundqvist changing things, even then Wilson could have not exploded upwards into Sundqvist and tried to lower his shoulder a little... but Wilson being Wilson always hits high, and this time was no different. Personally I don't think they can give him enough games to make him change his ways... but I'd love to see something in the 20+ range. Then when he does it again (which we all know he will), we can give him 40+ and within a year or two, he'll be out of the league.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Totally shoulder to shoulder.

While I'm not addressing the legality of the hit, that looks a lot more like his visor got him than anything. Could easily have happened when he hit the ice, as it looked like he landed that side down.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I get that people are outrage because it’s Wilson, but this just isn’t that bad to me. He’s basically skating at him head on, and Sundqvist suddenly turns to shoot. No, Sundqvist didn’t really do anything wrong, but it’s not Wilson’s fault that he suddenly changed positions either. The NHL looks at whether the player changed their body position immediately prior to contact, to determine if the contact with the head was unavoidable, and Sundqvist did.
His change in position is negligible at best. He's not turning away from the hit, he has the puck nearly in the high slot and he's attempting a shot. the only thing that really changed are the locations of his arms which are now extended to his left from the follow through and his leg kicking back. This is another nonsensical take. Taking a shot does not put you in a vulnerable position nor excuse the person hitting you from hitting your head. Wilson had every opportunity to go for a full body check and instead he went high and caught the head. This really isn't that difficult. I mean, have you seen the photo of Sundqvist's face that has been posted in here and the other thread multiple times?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His salary is only 1.1 this year. He’s barely going to feel the fine even at 10 games.

The rest is signing bonus.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I don't think the change in position was that major. The shot caused Sundqvist to lower his shoulder slightly, but his skating line was consistent and he maintained pretty much the same relative head position for nearly 20 feet leading into the hit.

Even if we accept Sundqvist lowering his shoulder as a contributor it looks like Wilson didn't check Sundqvist through the core of his body, as evidenced by Wilson skating through forward while Sundqvist cartwheels around him. If Sundqvist hadn't shot the puck his shoulder would have been higher and further back, in which case Wilson probably wouldn't have made contact with Sundqvist's right shoulder at all given the line Wilson took.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Blindside hits are legal
Hits to the head are legal as long as the head isn't the principal point of contact

If you don't want hits like this then ban blindside hits (which the league 100% should) and teach kids not to cut into the center of the ice with your head down. Hockey is a physical sport and you have to play with the expectation you are going to be hit

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I love to hijack two threads over airline safety stats instead of just taking the L.
I put him on ignore. Please tell me he is not carrying on with this absurd rationalization.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Blindside hits are legal
Hits to the head are legal as long as the head isn't the principal point of contact

If you don't want hits like this then ban blindside hits (which the league 100% should) and teach kids not to cut into the center of the ice with your head down. Hockey is a physical sport and you have to play with the expectation you are going to be hit

He is going to get suspended so clearly the league is telling him, for seemingly the billionth time, change they way you play.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I love to hijack two threads over airline safety stats instead of just taking the L.
I had not choice but explain. It seems ppl don't understand simple exemples anymore :( It would take just one post, like okay he's talking about frequency that some incidents occurs, but no, lets bring all data we have to prove planes are safer.

upload_2018-10-1_19-23-16.jpeg

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
He is getting suspended. So your whole premise is ridiculous. You're wrong. Deal with it.

lol, OK kid. Suspend a player that didn't break the rules, that is one hell of a precedent to make. And anyway if the league does suspend without cause Wilson will just appeal the decision and it will be overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad