Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
lol, OK kid. Suspend a player that didn't break the rules, that is one hell of a precedent to make. And anyway if the league does suspend without cause Wilson will just appeal the decision and it will be overturned

LOL. Sure thing, kid. :laugh: :shakehead

You're entire theory is flawed from the beginning. He was penalized and ejected from the game for an illegal hit. That was the ref's decision. He's getting suspended by the league for an illegal hit, and it will be for 5+ games. That's the league's decision.

You'd think at some point people would stop defending the hit, as it's pretty cut and dried that it's an illegal hit. But sure... he'll "appeal it, and it will be overturned". This isn't a bloody court room bud. :biglaugh:

He's going to get close to 10 games... and he will deserve every single one of them and more.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
lol, OK kid. Suspend a player that didn't break the rules, that is one hell of a precedent to make. And anyway if the league does suspend without cause Wilson will just appeal the decision and it will be overturned

Sure they will, son.

"Without cause" ...please don't use phrases when you have no idea what they mean.

It was a dirty hit and he will be out time and money. Enjoy that terrible contract. That is your real punishment.

Reactions: Riptide

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
LOL. Sure thing, kid. :laugh: :shakehead

You're entire theory is flawed from the beginning. He was penalized and ejected from the game for an illegal hit. That was the ref's decision. He's getting suspended by the league for an illegal hit, and it will be for 5+ games. That's the league's decision.

You'd think at some point people would stop defending the hit, as it's pretty cut and dried that it's an illegal hit. But sure... he'll "appeal it, and it will be overturned". This isn't a bloody court room bud. :biglaugh:

He's going to get close to 10 games... and he will deserve every single one of them and more.

Kadri's hit on Daniel Sedin. Looks very familiar huh, he was also ejected from the game and guess what...NOT SUSPENDED! If the league suspends Wilson then I fully expect Wilson to challenge and will get it overturned.

Sure they will, son.

"Without cause" ...please don't use phrases when you have no idea what they mean.

It was a dirty hit and he will be out time and money. Enjoy that terrible contract. That is your real punishment.

I'm a Leaf fan.

Blindside hits are legal and as long as the principal contact isn't the head, headshots are legal as well. The league needs to show this was a direct headshot for a suspension and if they cant and still do suspend Wilson will just challenge the suspension

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Kadri's hit on Daniel Sedin. Looks very familiar huh, he was also ejected from the game and guess what...NOT SUSPENDED! If the league suspends Wilson then I fully expect Wilson to challenge and will get it overturned.

You probably think the earth is flat too and nothing is going to convince you otherwise.

Who cares? Enjoy watching him get suspended and we will enjoy watching you pout in your Cheerios :laugh:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You probably think the earth is flat too and nothing is going to convince you otherwise.

Who cares? Enjoy watching him get suspended and we will enjoy watching you pout in your Cheerios :laugh:

I've proved video evidence that hits like Wilson don't result in suspension (even if the player is ejected)
I've gone over the rules stating blindside and headshots are legal (again as long as the head isn't the principal contact)

All you have talked about is your gut feeling...so who is more likely to think the earth is flat

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

For the this was shoulder to shoulder people

Is anyone saying Wilson didn't make contact with his head? Because I'm not

AGAIN you can hit someone in the head as long as the principal contact isn't with the head. And until I see a video where his first contract is to the head I don't see why Wilson should be suspended

The hit looks really bad because it was a blindside hit. Blindside hits SHOULD be illegal, but they are not

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I'm a Leaf fan.

Blindside hits are legal and as long as the principal contact isn't the head, headshots are legal as well. The league needs to show this was a direct headshot for a suspension and if they cant and still do suspend Wilson will just challenge the suspension

Two things.
1) Kadri doesn't have (or didn't then anyway) a history filled with multiple suspensions and hits that the league has looked at in the past 53 weeks - Wilson does. 3 suspensions and at least 3 hits that they looked at. This will be #7 (at least).
2) Who do you think Wilson is going to appeal to (or challenge the suspension)? That goes to Bettman. Do you really think that DoPS is going to hand out a suspension that Bettman thinks is extreme enough that he's going to overturn it?

Edit. Kadri also got a hell of a lot more of Sedin's shoulder then Wilson did.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've proved video evidence that hits like Wilson don't result in suspension (even if the player is ejected)
I've gone over the rules stating blindside and headshots are legal (again as long as the head isn't the principal contact)

All you have talked about is your gut feeling...so who is more likely to think the earth is flat

So what's your schitk going to be when Wilson is suspended and it's not "over turned" ?? That he was wrongly screwed over? LOL. Sad, very very sad.

Reactions: Cellee

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Two things.
1) Kadri doesn't have (or didn't then anyway) a history filled with multiple suspensions and hits that the league has looked at in the past 53 weeks - Wilson does. 3 suspensions and at least 3 hits that they looked at. This will be #7 (at least).
2) Who do you think Wilson is going to appeal to (or challenge the suspension)? That goes to Bettman. Do you really think that DoPS is going to hand out a suspension that Bettman thinks is extreme enough that he's going to overturn it?

1) why does his history matter when it is a clean hit? I really don't understand your point. Are you saying the hit the clean but because it is Wilson who did it he should be suspended?

2) [mod] there absolutely is a route where a player can dispute a suspension as long as it is done within 48hrs

Last edited by a moderator:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

I'm a Leaf fan.

The league has already thrown him out of the game and are not giving him an inperson hearing to chat about the weather.

Sorry, who is going off gut feeling again?

Dirty hit, he is gone, we're done here. Go talk to the airplane safety guy.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

AGAIN you can hit someone in the head as long as the principal contact isn't with the head. And until I see a video where his first contract is to the head I don't see why Wilson should be suspended

The hit looks really bad because it was a blindside hit. Blindside hits SHOULD be illegal, but they are not

Note: principal/main point of contact is not synonymous with first/initial point of contact.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
1) why does his history matter when it is a clean hit? I really don't understand your point. Are you saying the hit the clean but because it is Wilson who did it he should be suspended?

2) [mod] there absolutely is a rout where a player can dispute a suspension as long as it is done within 48hrs

1) The hit isn't clean. The on ice officials and the league have already determined that. You can moan and bitch about it all you want, but that doesn't change your opinion that it was clean - it wasn't. However even your comparison using Kadri vs Sedin is wrong, because Kadri got a hell of a lot more of the shoulder of Sedin then Wilson could even pretend to have gotten.

2) I never said there wasn't an option for Wilson to appeal the suspension he will be getting. He can and almost certainly will appeal it. I said that there's no chance he will win that. Because if he appeals, he appeals to Bettman. Do you really see Bettman wiping out the suspension? Not a chance in hell. He might get a couple games knocked off if DoPS grows some balls and hands out a big enough suspension (like 15+), but given that it's likely in the 8-12 game range, and with Wilson's very recent history of multiple hits like this (and subsequent suspensions for said hits), it's unlikely that anything will change.

As for having to get personal, just sad.

Reactions: Cellee

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Principal =/= first

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Just as with the Cooke hit intent to injure could be added to any of a number of basic penalties.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm not sure I really even understand the rule anymore. I thought you could make contact with the head as long as you mostly made contact with the body.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I get that people are outrage because it’s Wilson, but this just isn’t that bad to me. He’s basically skating at him head on, and Sundqvist suddenly turns to shoot. No, Sundqvist didn’t really do anything wrong, but it’s not Wilson’s fault that he suddenly changed positions either. The NHL looks at whether the player changed their body position immediately prior to contact, to determine if the contact with the head was unavoidable, and Sundqvist did.
idk it looks a lot like the cooke hit that started all this.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Has there ever been an in-person hearing that didn't result in a 5+ game suspension? It's pretty well established that he's going to get suspended, I'm surprised there's so many people here still saying it was clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->