CBC Hot Stove: Tolvanen, Niku amongst prospects in play

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
The thing is for the Jets, it's highly unlikely that we are able to sign any big name UFA rental we bring in. There's going for it, then there is throwing away your top assets with no certainty of making it past the first round, with your UFA acquisition and top assets walking out the door for nada. I have no doubt our 1st and some prospects are on the table, but just can't see Niku being available for a UFA with Myers walking, Trouba question mark and nothing substantial after Morrissey on the left side. NSH on the other hand looks to have the cap space to extend whoever they bring in, so Tolaven's availability would make more sense, however I doubt Tolvanen would be made available unless there is certainty that an extension is in place, similar to Turris.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
The thing is for the Jets, it's highly unlikely that we are able to sign any big name UFA rental we bring in. There's going for it, then there is throwing away your top assets with no certainty of making it past the first round, with your UFA acquisition and top assets walking out the door for nada. I have no doubt our 1st and some prospects are on the table, but just can't see Niku being available for a UFA with Myers walking, Trouba question mark and nothing substantial after Morrissey on the left side. NSH on the other hand looks to have the cap space to extend whoever they bring in, so Tolaven's availability would make more sense, however I doubt Tolvanen would be made available unless there is certainty that an extension is in place, similar to Turris.
i think you nailed it.

very impressed with you jets fan.

Jan 21, 2018
Did anyone even watch the segment? Kypreos sounds like he just found out who Niku was 5 minutes ago after a quick google search.

This isn't insider information. He's basically saying these are NSH/WPG's trade chips that other teams will likely inquire about.

Reactions: Pongs21

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I hope we don't do anything else. I am fine just taking the L for this year if that's what happens. Whatever the hell you want to call this year or chalk it up too...it ain't working for us. Let's just go to the playoffs and see what happens with our current roster. We haven't had enough consistency out of our lineup to push in all our chips from my perspective.

Tolvanen and Fabbro should be on this team next year. Tolvanen's numbers aren't eye popping, but if you see the warm bodies/career AHL'ers he is playing with in the AHL then it makes more sense. He isn't a guy that is going to create himself goals at this point. Fabbro needs to be on this roster starting in mid March if I am remembering his college schedule correctly.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Panarin + Sonny Milano for Fiala, Tolvanen, and a 2nd.

Cost to upgrade Fiala to Panarin is Tolvanen plus a low pick. Milano added to improve the pick. Columbus gets a 2nd rounder to recover one they have already traded or to move it for other assets.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stone for Niku + 1st

Duchene for Tolvanen +1st

Seems obvious to me

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Panarin + Sonny Milano for Fiala, Tolvanen, and a 2nd.

Cost to upgrade Fiala to Panarin is Tolvanen plus a low pick. Milano added to improve the pick. Columbus gets a 2nd rounder to recover one they have already traded or to move it for other assets.
It's a non-starter if Panarin is a pure rental. And it sounds like he is. No reason to take on Milano. Pass.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Stone for Niku + 1st

Seems obvious to me
Preds could use Stone more than Duchene. I'd take either if it came down to it. But we already have all the centers we need so Duchene either goes to wing or Turris does or something like that, which makes Stone more attractive overall. And only deal Tolvanen for either of them if they are re-signing.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Uh, he's 5'11 165, and he has almost 100 more assists than goals. Let's not take offense when someone accurately describes a player.
Nashville got pummeled by a bigger and faster Winnipeg team last year, we need a big goal scorer. Someone like Stone makes more sense than Panarin, IMO.

If we’re dumb enough to play both Chiarot and Morrow, speed will benefit you more.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
It sounds like there Jets and Preds are just trying to drive up the price on each other at this point

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Stone for Niku + 1st

Seems obvious to me

On the surface maybe, but I have been swayed by some bright Jets fans that Duchene is who we will he targeting before Stone. Even if Stone is the better player.

Roslovic, Niku, Vesalainen will all be playing in Winnipeg next year. I didnt always see it this way, but I just needed to talk it out :laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
While I don’t see him being traded. Niku is far from an untouchable.

Yes you could see him end up like Petan, highly skilled but passed in the lineup by more consistent players. Samberg will probably surpass him on the depth chart.

Lets's say that we run

Morrissey-Trouba/X (trade)
Samberg-Buff
Kulikov-Poolman

Next year. And choose Chiarot as 7.

Niku doesn't even make the team in that case.

I imagine that he comes up in an Eric Staal trade discussion because he could immediately be plugged into the Wild's lineup with Dumba out for awhile.

Carolina would be interested in him for Ferland, if they choose to swap a d-man for a F with someone (Hamilton-Kapanen+).

I think the Jets management would prefer to keep him, and sacrifice a pick, which they can redeem in trading Trouba in the offseason. It's not the Jets style to develop players to trade them. You would have to believe there were off-ice issues if that were the case.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yes you could see him end up like Petan, highly skilled but passed in the lineup by more consistent players. Samberg will probably surpass him on the depth chart.

Lets's say that we run

Morrissey-Trouba/X (trade)
Samberg-Buff
Kulikov-Poolman

Next year. And choose Chiarot as 7.

Niku doesn't even make the team in that case.

I imagine that he comes up in an Eric Staal trade discussion because he could immediately be plugged into the Wild's lineup with Dumba out for awhile.

Carolina would be interested in him for Ferland, if they choose to swap a d-man for a F with someone (Hamilton-Kapanen+).

I think the Jets management would prefer to keep him, and sacrifice a pick, which they can redeem in trading Trouba in the offseason. It's not the Jets style to develop players to trade them. You would have to believe there were off-ice issues if that were the case.

There is close to zero chance Samberg is on the Jets next year. It will be AHL or NCAA.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There is close to zero chance Samberg is on the Jets next year. It will be AHL or NCAA.

College players are more prepped for NHL than Euros and juniors. Nothing is impossible. Charlie McAvoy made the same jump at the same age. Samberg is already more physically mature, and I think Buff is a better player to play with than Chara, by quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad