CBC Hot Stove: Tolvanen, Niku amongst prospects in play

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
College players are more prepped for NHL than Euros and juniors. Nothing is impossible. Charlie McAvoy made the same jump at the same age. Samberg is already more physically mature, and I think Buff is a better player to play with than Chara, by quite a bit.

Samberg isn't McAvoy. He's going to need a year or more in the AHL to learn the pro game, and that's if he even signs this offseason. If physicality was all you needed we'd be playing Stanley right now. There's a reason teams are asking about Niku.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Samberg isn't McAvoy. He's going to need a year or more in the AHL to learn the pro game, and that's if he even signs this offseason. If physicality was all you needed we'd be playing Stanley right now. There's a reason teams are asking about Niku.

Because the Jets aren't trading Samberg. You may be right, but you may not be, we'll see.

And Stanley is not Samberg, Samberg is closer to Trouba in style. Stanley more like Benny.

Nov 24, 2006
Teams with smart GM's like Winnipeg and Nashville rarely trade high end prospects for some magic beans. Add in the fact that Kypreos said it, and that's probably the end of that.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
All I've seen so far is a forward and a jar of pig knuckles.

And to add to the topic, I think Tolvanen is available in the right deal, but I don't see that being the case for a pure rental. It would need to be for someone signed.
Signed, or at least eminently sign-able. I'm not sure how practical it would really be to expect a trade-and-sign like the Turris deal. But at least the acquired player would have to be interested in signing, and have a high enough potential impact for the Preds to take the chance.

To me, there are only 3 names I've heard on the market so far that are of "high enough potential impact"... Stone, Duchesne, and Panarin. And at least one of them is not like "eminently sign-able" (Panarin). So I'm not thinking Tolvanen is very much "in play" in reality.

I would expect the same holds true for Niku. No doubt all the sellers are excited about these two prospects and wish they were in play. But realistically, it would take some atypical scenarios for either of them to move. And the Jets are probably a lot less likely to be able to re-sign anybody than the Preds are. So they'd have to do something really crazy/aggressive to trade Niku at all. I don't see it.

Reactions: Pongs21

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Could you imagine Stone playing in his hometown? I'd give up Vesalainen and a first, for sure.

Think you’re forgetting how valuable these young guys on these cheap contracts are to us. We make a move like that, someone will have to be moved out because of cap issues. And don’t get me wrong, Stone would be a phenomenal add, especially long term. But some other parts would have to be moved.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
A deal around Stone and Tolvanen makes sense for everybody. Yes Tolvanen is a huge price to pay but with Mark Stone Nashville's chances to win the cup are pretty damn good

Forsberg-Johansen-Ardvisson
Fiala-Turris-Stone
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Smith
Sissons-Boyle-Hartman

Dammmmnnn

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
A deal around Stone and Tolvanen makes sense for everybody. Yes Tolvanen is a huge price to pay but with Mark Stone Nashville's chances to win the cup are pretty damn good

Fiala-Turris-Stone
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Smith
Sissons-Boyle-Hartman

Dammmmnnn
Not sure what it is but on paper Nashville never looks great. I get they are a great team, but on paper it doesn't look scary. The back end looks good.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Fiala-Turris-Stone
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Smith
Sissons-Boyle-Hartman

Dammmmnnn
At this point I'd just be happy to beat Dallas/Colorado/St. Louis/Minnesota/whoever our first round opponent will be.

Tkachukecheese

Feb 12, 2019
Teams with smart GM's like Winnipeg and Nashville rarely trade high end prospects for some magic beans. Add in the fact that Kypreos said it, and that's probably the end of that.

These aren't your normal magic beans that become available at the deadline. Anyways needless to say that one team will get one of the big three and the others will panic and react. I think stone and Duchene are off to Nashville and Winnipeg and it'll end up being for niku, tolvanen and picks. Just my opinion.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tolvanen would make some sense. That's the kind of piece you might have to throw in to add an impact player.

But Niku? :laugh: Isn't that exactly the sort of player the Jets should be desperate to hang onto? A young LHD on a cheap deal that will help them keep the cap situation workable? I'm sure there are plenty of other teams that would want to add a player like Niku...but what on earth would the Jets be trading him for?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Niku won't be traded. That's utter nonsense to think otherwise. I don't doubt that teams are asking but much like last year at the deadline Chevy said there are players he was willing to trade and players that he wasn't. We're grooming him to play RHD next year when Myers walks. 1st + Stanley I could see. Heck, I'd go as high as 1st + Stanley + Petan and then I'd walk away and peddle my second round pick for the best player I could get.

Honestly with so many teams on the playoff bubble none of them are going to part with a 1st for one of these high end rentals. I feel like the market is actually pretty small.

Islanders - They may do something but they've already moved their 3rd and 4th round picks this year and have a lot of UFAs. 1st in the Metro though so maybe
Capitals - have $1M of deadline space, so not doing anything
Jackets - May be sellers if they move Panarin

Tampa - Probably doesn't need to add and will need the ELCs to keep the party going
Toronto - Already made their move
Boston - I could see them making a move

Montreal - Bergevin said he wasn't making a move earlier this season. Maybe he changes his mind but not likely
Pittsburgh - Have already traded their 2nd and 3rd round pick this year but probably want to make a move as the window is closing

So realistically Islanders, Bruins and Pens in the East.

Jets - probably make a move
Preds - probably make another move
Stars - under $2M of capspace at the deadline and not a player away from running through the Preds and Jets

Sharks - already made their move for Karlson
Flames - Could make a move
Vegas - Could make a move

Blues, Wild, Canucks, Avs shouldn't make moves

So then Jets, Preds, Flames, Vegas, Islanders, Bruins and Pens. Less then half of the playoff teams even considering making a splash at the deadline.

I'm sure Duchesne, Stone and Panarin (if moved) would get a big haul but then you also have Zuccarello, Hayes, Stall (maybe), Nyquist, Simmonds, Ferland, Brassard, Dzingle. That's 11 forwards and only 7 teams looking to add a player, never-mind adding specifically a forward.

Who is coming with a better offer than 1st, Stanley and Petan for one of these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad