Confirmed with Link: Toffoli for Sharangovich (Signed @ 2 years $3.1 Million AAV), 2023 3rd round pick (CGY - #80)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Did I ever misjudge this guy although in my defense there is a world of difference in his play the first month he was here compared to the last month. Night and day.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He played more than 15 mins once in the first 10 games and was always on the 2nd unit pk. The offensive opportunities he got to start the year was incredibly low, i would definitely not call penciled for top 6. He got a min bump and scored 3 pts in 2 games, then immediately back down to 10 mins a game after going scoreless the game after. In total, he played more than 15 mins 3 times in the first 18 games, the leash he had was criminally low.
Right, but that was the result of his play through training camp and then into the first game. It was a result, not a cause. He was completely ineffective and looked replacement level in the top six from the start of camp into the first game of the season.

Reactions: deleted user

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Right, but that was the result of his play through training camp and then into the first game. It was a result, not a cause. He was completely ineffective and looked replacement level in the top six from the start of camp into the first game of the season.
Thats pre season, the entire top 6 was lost for the first month of the reg season yet he was the last to get the bump up and the one with the shortest leash. Zary got top 6 mins as soon as he got here, pospisil got top 6 es mins but no pp, dube, ruz, mangi were all getting multigame top 6 chances before sharangovich and they were all as ineffective as a player can be so i dont buy that. I just dont buy huska saw him as a top 6 guy until recently, and hes usage proved it, im just glad he proved huska wrong.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Thats pre season, the entire top 6 was lost for the first month of the reg season yet he was the last to get the bump up and the one with the shortest leash. Zary got top 6 mins as soon as he got here, pospisil got top 6 es mins but no pp, dube, ruz, mangi were all getting multigame top 6 chances before sharangovich and they were all as ineffective as a player can be so i dont buy that. I just dont buy huska saw him as a top 6 guy until recently, and hes usage proved it, im just glad he proved huska wrong.
You are saying these guys immediately got a shot in the top six, but realistically none of them did before Sharangovich. He had first crack.

You think that Zary and Pospisil, each of whom scored in their first games, had as bad a start in the top six as Sharangovich? I don't think you remember that correctly.

If you go back through to the start of training camp it seems obvious that they came in with the plan for Sharangovich to be a top six winner, and they gave him plenty of time to show himself there until they felt they couldn't afford not to make changes. To suggest that his play now is the same as his play then is just incorrect.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You are saying these guys immediately got a shot in the top six, but realistically none of them did before Sharangovich. He had first crack.

You think that Zary and Pospisil, each of whom scored in their first games, had as bad a start in the top six as Sharangovich? I don't think you remember that correctly.

If you go back through to the start of training camp it seems obvious that they came in with the plan for Sharangovich to be a top six winner, and they gave him plenty of time to show himself there until they felt they couldn't afford not to make changes. To suggest that his play now is the same as his play then is just incorrect.
ruzicka and dube did not have a better camp than sharangovich, both played significant pre season mins and both got regular season crack in the top 6 before sharangovich did, saying he got first crack is just not true. Much like the rest of the team, sharangovich hit hes stride after zary's arrival, he played 3 games in the top 6 going only scoreless in the last one, then immediately back to the 4th line again. That level of short leash was not on any other guys ive mentioned.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012

Idk if this is the best way to calculate but here we go. Sharangovich played a total of 102 mins in pre season, 72 of those were when non of kadri lindholm and huberdeau were on the ice (how i am gonna meausre top 6 opportunity here) thats not plenty of opportunity

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Captain

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240111-204436.jpg
    Screenshot_20240111-204436.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 4

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
ruzicka and dube did not have a better camp than sharangovich, both played significant pre season mins and both got regular season crack in the top 6 before sharangovich did, saying he got first crack is just not true. Much like the rest of the team, sharangovich hit hes stride after zary's arrival, he played 3 games in the top 6 going only scoreless in the last one, then immediately back to the 4th line again. That level of short leash was not on any other guys ive mentioned.
Sharangovich opened the season in the top six on the wing. Every preseason game he played he was top six on the wing. There was no "before" time.

Reactions: Fig

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I remember Rango being tried top line right out the gate. They spoke about giving him that opportunity and he himself mentioned that was the plan before he even laced up the skates with the team.

He definitely started there and was given time.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like an awful lot of consternation about the first 10 games of a player with a new team. 10 games where the entire team was complete horseshit.

Been happy with what Sharangovich has brought to the team. Wonder if they give him another look at C when Lindholm gets traded.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, Rango did get top 6 time early on, but both combinations of the team being crap and Rango having the steeper uphill battle being on a new team meant he didn't look great there.

The biggest concern was that he'd be nothing useful and at best a bottom 6 player. He's proven those critics wrong. I'll admit I had concerns he'd be that 3 million dollar bottom 6 anchor but now I know he is not going to be that at his worst. His current contract vs production is great.

And we have a potential extra asset in Suniev? Absolute win, win trade for both teams.

Reactions: deleted user

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Sharangovich opened the season in the top six on the wing. Every preseason game he played he was top six on the wing. There was no "before" time.
So did dube, so did mangi, so did ruzicka. Just saying because he got top 6 time in pre season means nothing, its not a full roster and someone has to play the mins. Again i posted the mins (could wrong in terms of interpretation), tells you he was not tried as a top 6 guy, or else one would think as a new guy he would be paired with one of our 3 fwds and try to build chemistry. If you think fairly tried as a top 6 guy is playing 30% of the time with our 3 most expensive fwd then i disagree. He played 3rd line mins at the start of reg szn for 2 games then was on to the 4th line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So did dube, so did mangi, so did ruzicka. Just saying because he got top 6 time in pre season means nothing, its not a full roster and someone has to play the mins. Again i posted the mins (could wrong in terms of interpretation), tells you he was not tried as a top 6 guy, or else one would think as a new guy he would be paired with one of our 3 fwds and try to build chemistry. If you think fairly tried as a top 6 guy is playing 30% of the time with our 3 most expensive fwd then i disagree. He played 3rd line mins at the start of reg szn for 2 games then was on to the 4th line.
You are using stats from the regular season, but the story began far before that given the claim you are making about Huska's initial intention.

He was with Kadri and Coronato game 1 of the regular season (all three of those players were treated as top six players from the start). He was centering the fourth line game 2, and it was that game that he actually showed the best flashes.

Mangiapane was also pencilled in as a top six winger as that was what he has been for years. Dube and Ruzicka were backup options who got a chance when it wasn't working with others.

I just find it strange that you would try and paint a picture that Sharangovich was playing just as well when the season started as he is now. He was noticeably bad and I remember being surprised, because I was excited when the trade was made. He really did only start to get going when he got to centre the fourth line.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You are using stats from the regular season, but the story began far before that given the claim you are making about Huska's initial intention.

He was with Kadri and Coronato game 1 of the regular season (all three of those players were treated as top six players from the start). He was centering the fourth line game 2, and it was that game that he actually showed the best flashes.

Mangiapane was also pencilled in as a top six winger as that was what he has been for years. Dube and Ruzicka were backup options who got a chance when it wasn't working with others.

I just find it strange that you would try and paint a picture that Sharangovich was playing just as well when the season started as he is now. He was noticeably bad and I remember being surprised, because I was excited when the trade was made. He really did only start to get going when he got to centre the fourth line.
The 30% was preseason usage with our at the time top 3 fwds, i dont see how that fits your argument he had ample opportunity. My argument had always been huska has a way shorter leash on him and was less willing to give him the chances before the other names mentioned and ive mentioned why i think that.

Ruzicka and dube has been bad all year, mangi was lost until back with backlund and coleman, yet they all received top 6 mins before and for longer in the regular season. Dube was avg 15+ the entire oct, Ruzicka was getting 15+mins a game until he got injured in against NYR, mangi has been there all year. They were not playing well up there, if anything dube and mangi were horrific up there, yet they stay up there for a while, hence long leash.

What about sharangovich, like most of team he hit hes stride starting in dallas game, you can say he wasnt good before but to me hes looked like a top 6 guy ever since. What happened, he got bumped up to play top 6, gets 3 pts in 2 games, goes scoreless for 1, back down to 3rd then 4th line straight after. Luckily he contiuned to play well after that demotion and earn that promotion up the lineup, but my argument is he was playing well enough he should have never been demoted in the first place. Hence short leash.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Rango started in the top 6, struggled for a bit, but then had that one game on the 4th line where he looked dominant (I think the Buffalo game) and then about 2 weeks later he was to the level he is now. Took him a little to get going but he has been very good for the Flames this year, pro scouts actually found a decent player.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I was quite mad at this return at first. I wanted a late first.

But having slept on it, I am calling it right now: this was actually a steal and a half by Conroy. Will be incredibly fun to re-visit this thread next year when Sharangovich is the best shooter on our team and finds a full-time role on the PP.

This is a player that has better numbers than Mang at this stage in their careers.

To fans that are upset that we didn’t get a late first - when you pick a player with a late first you hope a player develops into a middle-6 role with top-6 potential. That’s exactly what we got, minus the 50% risk he doesn’t even turn into an NHL player. And the upside is still there.

I bet that fans will love this guy. Sniper with size. Burakovsky lite
Incredibly exciting watching Sharangovich right now. Bumping this only to show that we need to have faith in Conroy and the pro scouts right now. If we can move Lindy and/or Tanev and win the trade like we won this one we’re actually in a way better spot than people give us credit for.

Still need that 1C, but if our amateur scouting keeps killing it and Conroy wins trades like this we’re on the right track.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
People overreacted to this trade.

Tbf i underrated the trade a bit, but seriously I shouldn’t be the optimist here folks. It just feels wrong :laugh:

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3