Confirmed with Link: Toffoli for Sharangovich (Signed @ 2 years $3.1 Million AAV), 2023 3rd round pick (CGY - #80)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Hello to the fans of the only Canadian team I don't hate. I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised by Sharangovich.

He is a streaky scorer that can be a passenger at even strength, but he does have one of the best releases of anyone to play for the Devils since Kovalchuk. He can routinely beat goalies clean from the high slot. He's also a good PKer and and can make some decent plays with the puck as well. He never got much of an opportunity on the powerplay in NJ, which I thought was odd. In theory he could be effective as a shooter. At even strength he's best off the rush. If his board play can catch up to the rest of his skills at any point he will be a dangerous player. Likewise, if you can pair him with players that can make up for that deficiency it can boost him. Many of his best performances in NJ were playing with players like Zajac and Haula rather than Hughes.

Yes he mostly played on the 3rd line for us this year, but I think characterizing him as a 3rd liner is disingenuous. He's closer to a true top 6 scorer than a bottom 6 checker. He has 30 goal potential if he can get in a groove one year. As has been mentioned here, he's also extremely likeable and seems like a great locker room guy.

He was a bit redundant on our team and Toffoli is definitely more of what we needed, but I wouldn't be shocked if this trade ends up being a win-win for both teams.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hello to the fans of the only Canadian team I don't hate. I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised by Sharangovich.

He is a streaky scorer that can be a passenger at even strength, but he does have one of the best releases of anyone to play for the Devils since Kovalchuk. He can routinely beat goalies clean from the high slot. He's also a good PKer and and can make some decent plays with the puck as well. He never got much of an opportunity on the powerplay in NJ, which I thought was odd. In theory he could be effective as a shooter. At even strength he's best off the rush. If his board play can catch up to the rest of his skills at any point he will be a dangerous player. Likewise, if you can pair him with players that can make up for that deficiency it can boost him. Many of his best performances in NJ were playing with players like Zajac and Haula rather than Hughes.

Yes he mostly played on the 3rd line for us this year, but I think characterizing him as a 3rd liner is disingenuous. He's closer to a true top 6 scorer than a bottom 6 checker. He has 30 goal potential if he can get in a groove one year. As has been mentioned here, he's also extremely likeable and seems like a great locker room guy.

He was a bit redundant on our team and Toffoli is definitely more of what we needed, but I wouldn't be shocked if this trade ends up being a win-win for both teams.

I think this trade will ultimately be a win-win (ESPECIALLY IF THE FLAMES DRAFT UNGER SORUM). Santa will help us more with speed and transition and I think he would be a good fit with Huberdeau. Toffoli's smarts will help Devils better in a grind cycle such as against a team like Carolina.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Fans are so damn fickle.

If this trade were made just 9 months ago the "rebuild" crowd would have been over the moon acquiring a player who scored 24 goals at 23 years of age for Toffoli. Sure he struggled with lesser minutes, and a decreased role, but can we stop basing a players ability and value solely on one season? He's a good, young hockey player, who faced adversity for the first time in his career. If anything we are buying low on this kid.

I really don't see an issue whatsoever with this deal. Toffoli had a great year, but was massively propped up by a coach whom gave him every opportunity to excel due to their history. Toffoli was the focal point of our PP for crying out loud, and while it may have been beneficial for him personally, it certainly didn't help this team win hockey games. Toffoli knew this was his opportunity to cash in and when management didn't come running to him with a retirement contract - he flip flopped on his desires and requested a trade. I say good riddance. We have to keep moving on from those who don't want to be here.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Fans are so damn fickle.

If this trade were made just 9 months ago the "rebuild" crowd would have been over the moon acquiring a player who scored 24 goals at 23 years of age for Toffoli. Sure he struggled with lesser minutes, and a decreased role, but can we stop basing a players ability and value solely on one season? He's a good, young hockey player, who faced adversity for the first time in his career. If anything we are buying low on this kid.

I really don't see an issue whatsoever with this deal. Toffoli had a great year, but was massively propped up by a coach whom gave him every opportunity to excel due to their history. Toffoli was the focal point of our PP for crying out loud, and while it may have been beneficial for him personally, it certainly didn't help this team win hockey games. Toffoli knew this was his opportunity to cash in and when management didn't come running to him with a retirement contract - he flip flopped on his desires and requested a trade. I say good riddance. We have to keep moving on from those who don't want to be here.
There's a really pedestrian thought process out there that you have to get more for your "leading scorer" as if context doesn't matter at all.

Reactions: flames23

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This trade just looks bad any way you try to slice it. You traded the leading scorer last season for a player you could've acquired with a mid round pick and a 3rd. Nobody seems to mind Sharangovich, it's the fact that him and a 3rd is all you got. Looks bad for the first trade for a GM that some people think shouldn't even have the job.
Teams don’t see him as a 70 pt player. Simple as that. It’s not the return that’s the issue, it’s that people are overstating the value of him. Ppl were expecting Calgary to gobble up firsts like it’s easy, but apparently not.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer
Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
I think value wise we sold Toffoli for a player worth a second and a third round pick. Sharangovich could pleasantly surprise as a middle 6 forward. I could see 25 and 25. Which will probably be not that far off from Toffoli next year.

Reactions: cheechoo

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
would you have preferred 37th pick and 80th than Sharangovich and 80th? Cause to me Colton and Sharangovich have similar value. We just went with the more proven option
I’m more of the opinion that Toffoli is worth a higher pick than 37. Really thought we coulda had a late 1st here

Reactions: InfinityIggy

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It's kind of funny reading people's over value of Toffoli , I was saying sell him now before he screwed us by announcing his intentions publicly instead of giving us a chance to wheel him without a gun to our heads . In 11 years he's only cracked the 50 point mark twice had one year at 49 , his actual career avg is @ 42 , he's getting slower every year and getting a young nhler plus a pick is a pretty good return .

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’m more of the opinion that Toffoli is worth a higher pick than 37. Really thought we coulda had a late 1st here
People keep saying this, but...
  • 7/16 1st rounders originally owned by playoff teams belong to non-playoff teams.
  • of the remaining 9 picks, 5 belong to cap strapped teams
  • of the remaining 4, 3 fall in the middle 1/3 of the round.
  • that leaves 1 possible pick to trade for in the late 1st round, which is Carolina's and they haven't picked in the first round in the previous 2 drafts, which makes them moving this one very unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not to mention the swath of players who are pegged as late first or second round who are going to be completely interchangeable.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So I guess this means the rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it is officially underway? Bring it on!
tank-m60t.gif

Reactions: cheechoo

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The difference here is that we walked away with a middle 6 bandaid who will not be in our long-term plans and pick #80

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
The thing is, if there was a better deal to be had, GMCC would have made it.

Tofolli just didn’t have the value we hoped he would. Takes two to tango, and yes, you could have held onto him longer, but realistically why would you? All it takes is a season ending injury or a shit performance and you’re going to be getting less for him.

And yes, we gave up more to get him but he also had way more length on his deal.

People need to chill. Let it all work itself out and see what we have when the season starts. I don’t get why everyone shitting on the guy we got, when you hope a late first would turn into a guy like we acquired.

Relax.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The difference here is that we walked away with a middle 6 bandaid who will not be in our long-term plans and pick #80
Writing him off as a middle-6 bandaid is just silly. He just turned 25 and has probably the best wrist shot on the roster now. Not to mention a good combination of size and speed. As a Flames fan living in the NY/NJ area and having watched plenty of Devils games the past 3 years, I look forward to watching you be pleasantly surprised.

If Pelletier scored 24 goals and 46 points this year at age 22/23, would you see this as a success or a failure? Cause that’s what Sharangovich did in his age 23 season, and Pelletier is about as much as you can ask for in a late first.

But time will tell. And I’m very excited to check back on this thread in a year

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Reilly Smith just went for a third next year. His career year was the same ppg as Toffoli's career year. He's a couple years older. Career ppg is almost identical to Toffoli. Shows you what the market is.

Reactions: Lunatik

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
This is selling high and fishing for upside, while not repeating the sin of getting nothing for Johnny.

- We get younger (check)
- We get a potential sniper/goal scorer on the pp, one of our big weaknesses last year (check)
- We get someone to potentially compliment Hubs who for better or worse is locked in as a franchise piece, another huge weakness last year (check)
- We get some more and cheaper term (partial check, would have wanted to buy at least a year or two of UFA at that price)

Its clear where the upside may go, and it will be a great case study in 5 months time on the Conroy era strategy at GM where he's trying to achieve all of the above. Get younger, acquire skill with size, gamble on some pre-peak players accordingly. Hopefully this comes with beefing up our pro scouting to load the hopper of opportunities accordingly.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was quite mad at this return at first. I wanted a late first.

But having slept on it, I am calling it right now: this was actually a steal and a half by Conroy. Will be incredibly fun to re-visit this thread next year when Sharangovich is the best shooter on our team and finds a full-time role on the PP.

This is a player that has better numbers than Mang at this stage in their careers.

To fans that are upset that we didn’t get a late first - when you pick a player with a late first you hope a player develops into a middle-6 role with top-6 potential. That’s exactly what we got, minus the 50% risk he doesn’t even turn into an NHL player. And the upside is still there.

I bet that fans will love this guy. Sniper with size. Burakovsky lite

More palatable, sure. I'm in the same boat.
Steal, no.

It also depends on what Colton Ross extends for, plus we get an extra 3rd rounder which typically moves the value up a few picks to being close to the late first you're mentioning.

Ross and Sharangovich seem to be on par value wise based on some threads about them previously and some comments after their trades. If not that, it's still really close, like no more than the extra 3rd we received close. Rough stat lines aren't significantly different either.

We are extending Santa for 3.1 x 2 (I was hoping for 3-4 at a similar AAV, I thought that was kind of the logic, unless it doesn't matter because of the rising cap) if Ross's. Teams may have known what the player was demanding which affect their value.

Keep also in mind that we drop in salary by 1.1 million. Some of you consider that a piddling amount of difference, but the Avs are adding the full value of Ross's AAV, whatever it ends up being. (Ross also seems to be an arbitration eligible RFA like Sharangovich was).

In the end, the optics, value and CC's reasoning all seem to match. It just looks weird that we're bypassing pick for a hockey trade and that we're picking up a young guy on a down year vs selling an older guy coming off of a career high.

After sleeping on it, I felt like I was mad that we didn't get at least a $1,000 asset for Toffoli, or optimistically, $1,200 for him. Sharangovich at the time without researching him much felt like a $600 asset. I even posted a "what the hell just happened" gif. But after researching him more and seeing what Ross went for, I'd perceive he's a solid $800-900 ish asset. And then factor in the 3rd which is probably worth $75 or more, dropping salary by 1.1 million which is worth around $75 or more, fitting our younger player needs criteria which is worth around $75 more, a quick deal so that he could start tying up loose ends and moving to the next thing which is worth $50 or more... we got what we asked for. Just in a weird round about way by getting a lower end asset with a few coupons and accessories. I think it's worth saying that CC did good here in one of the weirdest boring ways possible. I also think that he just needed to get a deal done so that he could focus on tying up this loose end and dealing with the other things trades and/or drafting decisions he needs to deal with (ie: Backlund, Z, Lindy, Hanifin, potential new assets and new contracts +draft).

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Very good research there
People keep saying this, but...
  • 7/16 1st rounders originally owned by playoff teams belong to non-playoff teams.
  • of the remaining 9 picks, 5 belong to cap strapped teams
  • of the remaining 4, 3 fall in the middle 1/3 of the round.
  • that leaves 1 possible pick to trade for in the late 1st round, which is Carolina's and they haven't picked in the first round in the previous 2 drafts, which makes them moving this one very unlikely.
. Very good research there. So maybe a 2024 1st was only option and wasn’t even offered. The blunder was and still is not selling at the deadline when it was a seller’s market.

Reactions: Lunatik

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Tofveve, titties, Tuff titties, whatever you were for us you will be missed (apart from your legs falling off in round 2 or the '22 playoffs against Edmonton). Guy was a cool cat who never seemed ruffled with an amazing flow of hair. And he can score; deceptive skills otherwise that I didn't really see in 21/22 for whatever reason- maybe he was just outshined.

Good luck toffoli!

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
Did we really think there would be a massive market for a 32 year old, career sub-50 point player? He had a great year last year, but that isn’t what he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: