Confirmed with Link: Toffoli for Sharangovich (Signed @ 2 years $3.1 Million AAV), 2023 3rd round pick (CGY - #80)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Did we really think there would be a massive market for a 32 year old, career sub-50 point player? He had a great year last year, but that isn’t what he is.

I think the value got is on par. We just wished we'd obtained that value in a large piece rather than a decent sized piece with like 3-4 unrelated value add ons.

But that's not fair to Sharangovich and I'm changing my perspective on the deal. Ignoring the trade, I'm exciting to seeing what he can do in Flames silks on the ice as well as funny clips and community stuff on the side.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Tyler Toffoli ... 6 games - 6 goals + 3 assists
Yegor Sharangovich ... 7 games - 1 goal + 1 assist

As I said before, the Flames got fleeced in this trade. Sharangovich is at best, a 3rd liner on a good day.

Reactions: joescores

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Still holding the opinion that Rango will show more than he has thus far. I'm definitely impatient lol. I want him to gain confidence and familiarity with his new team. If he's able to get into those spots for his shot to shine, it could become a good weapon for us.

C'mon Rango!

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think the value got is on par. We just wished we'd obtained that value in a large piece rather than a decent sized piece with like 3-4 unrelated value add ons.

But that's not fair to Sharangovich and I'm changing my perspective on the deal. Ignoring the trade, I'm exciting to seeing what he can do in Flames silks on the ice as well as funny clips and community stuff on the side.
On par? Was he on a garage sale?

I bet you would have trouble finding a trade of your leading scorer on a good contract with a year left for a plug and a mid round pick

Conroy has a low bar but not looking good so far, he is tripping

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I bet you would have trouble finding a trade of your leading scorer on a good contract with a year left for a plug and a mid round pick

At the time it was on par. As of now, it's not looking good.

Reactions: DFF

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

It was value at the time. Season is young.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It was never really value at any time
Conroy was in a rush to get rid of him for cap space and to show he was doing something.

IIRC, Conroy also was listening to offers on quite a few other Flames. Interviews wise, he was saying the market just wasn't there. Looking at similar comps, I don't think he's lying about that. We were selling lower end goods vs other teams in a limited market. IIRC, other teams paid a premium for high end RFA pieces, but lower end pieces weren't trading too well. It was also a crazy year where there weren't any draft floor trades for first rounders.

Conroy traded Toffoli and stopped bothering with the other players. Looking at those off season trades, the value was brutal league wide. It's not Conroy specific that the returns looked awful.

Toffoli retained his trade value, Sharangovich has dipped. However, it's still possible their values can continue changing as the season goes on.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly if the trade was a 1st and a 3rd to a contender, you'd be content if that (late) first turned out to be a Sharangovich.

Just when you're rebuilding on the fly or whatever the Flames are doing, you need guys further along in development.
Like... Hamilton vs Chabot?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Honestly if the trade was a 1st and a 3rd to a contender, you'd be content if that (late) first turned out to be a Sharangovich.

Just when you're rebuilding on the fly or whatever the Flames are doing, you need guys further along in development.

I'm more confident in our amateur scouts ability to find good players than our pro scouts so I would've preferred the 1st.

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
Tyler Toffoli ... 6 games - 6 goals + 3 assists
Yegor Sharangovich ... 7 games - 1 goal + 1 assist

As I said before, the Flames got fleeced in this trade. Sharangovich is at best, a 3rd liner on a good day.
:) :) :)
Well, it's time to update the stats.
Tyler Toffoli ... 38 GP, 16 G + 12 A = 28 P;
Yegor Sharangovich ... 41 GP, 14 G + 13 A = 27 P.
As you can see, they're basically on par with each other, at least stats wise. As someone stated here earlier, this trade might be a win-win deal, and so far it looks like it.
Don't be hasty with your judgements and conclusions, guys.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Over the past 3 seasons Sharangovich has just 8 fewer ES points than Toffoli, he skates better, can PK and is 6 years younger with an extra year of team control. This trade is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be, no one in the NHL is expecting a 31 year old Toffoli who shattered his career highs at 31 to repeat.

It's also worth noting those 3 years are Rango's entire NHL career, while Toffoli's have been 3 of the best years of his career.
Man this guy is smart

Reactions: yrmj3 and Kahvi

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Man this guy is smart
Shango has been a total stud lately. I've seen this before when he was in NJ, though. He seems to got flaming hot to ice cold for lengthy stretches. Fingers crossed he has taken a next step and keeps that consistency now. Suspecting he will go cold here for a long stretch at some point though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Shango has been a total stud lately. I've seen this before when he was in NJ, though. He seems to got flaming hot to ice cold for lengthy stretches. Fingers crossed he has taken a next step and keeps that consistency now. Suspecting he will go cold here for a long stretch at some point though.
very likely, but that also describes Toffoli too. Calling myself smart was more in jest than anything, I never really predicted anything.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He had all the tools, and had a similar career to Toffoli at the same age, and is of course younger. But people were crying because Toffoli was apparently the Flames' best player, and should havebeen held onto until they could get the Eichel package. Sharangovich has turned a corner with the Flames. Last 5 games 17th in the NHL in iCF, 19th in iSCF/60, 69th in shots/60

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hes lack of production early was purely due to ice time. He had no opportunity up the lineup and even when he did, he would produce and somehow be the first one to get dumped to the 4th linr again. Idk why the huberdeau lindholm and sharangovich line never got more than about 1 game in pre season, huberdeau and sharangovich seems like such a natural fit given that sharangovich is the only guy that can shoot on this team. Very glad hes was still able to impress enough to get promoted up the lineup given the tough circumstances, guys just killing it rn.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hes lack of production early was purely due to ice time. He had no opportunity up the lineup and even when he did, he would produce and somehow be the first one to get dumped to the 4th linr again. Idk why the huberdeau lindholm and sharangovich line never got more than about 1 game in pre season, huberdeau and sharangovich seems like such a natural fit given that sharangovich is the only guy that can shoot on this team. Very glad hes was still able to impress enough to get promoted up the lineup given the tough circumstances, guys just killing it rn.
That's not exactly true.

Huska clearly had him pencilled in as a top 6 forward, but he lost that spot because he looked extremely lost, and his demotion to the fourth line centre spot actually led to him simplifying and really finding his game. He was then gradually moved up and has sustained that better play.

There was nothing unfair about his treatment. He just clearly needed to get over the adjustment period to a new team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Production equivalent to Toff.
6 years younger.
Extra year of control at a good cap hit.
Getting Aydar Suniev as an additional asset (who's having an excellent freshman season at UMass.

Fans really dunked on Connie for this one, but this was a bit of a win to be honest. Getting younger, getting more contract control, getting a pick that you used on a valuable rookie.

Reactions: joescores and Kahvi

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
That's not exactly true.

Huska clearly had him pencilled in as a top 6 forward, but he lost that spot because he looked extremely lost, and his demotion to the fourth line centre spot actually led to him simplifying and really finding his game. He was then gradually moved up and has sustained that better play.

There was nothing unfair about his treatment. He just clearly needed to get over the adjustment period to a new team.
He played more than 15 mins once in the first 10 games and was always on the 2nd unit pk. The offensive opportunities he got to start the year was incredibly low, i would definitely not call penciled for top 6. He got a min bump and scored 3 pts in 2 games, then immediately back down to 10 mins a game after going scoreless the game after. In total, he played more than 15 mins 3 times in the first 18 games, the leash he had was criminally low.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Well ladies and gents (etc). Are we happy?
ren_and_stimpy_happy_happy_joy_joy_by_medek1_d8l4m76-375w-2x.jpg

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Один раз в первых 10 играх он сыграл более 15 минут и всегда был на втором месте. Возможности нападения, которые он получил в начале года, были невероятно низкими, я бы определенно не назвал попадание в топ-6. Он получил минимальный удар и набрал 3 очка в 2 играх, а затем сразу же вернулся к 10 минутам за игру после того, как проиграл игру без очков. после. В общей сложности он сыграл более 15 минут 3 раза в первых 18 играх, поводок у него был преступно низким.
Rango is having a hard time rolling into the season. This has always been the case. A few games at the start are good, then a failure for 10-15 games...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad