Confirmed with Link: Toffoli for Sharangovich (Signed @ 2 years $3.1 Million AAV), 2023 3rd round pick (CGY - #80)

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I was definitely too harsh on Sharangovich. From what I'd seen with the Devils he looked a lot more like the guy that he was early this season than the guy he's been the last 2 months. The shot is obviously fantastic but he's actually a very good skater too.

Could be a long term 2nd line winger.

The analytics are pretty rough though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was definitely too harsh on Sharangovich. From what I'd seen with the Devils he looked a lot more like the guy that he was early this season than the guy he's been the last 2 months. The shot is obviously fantastic but he's actually a very good skater too.

Could be a long term 2nd line winger.

Confidence is a hell of a thing. Just in general.

Reactions: Dack

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
His on ice numbers cf, CA aren't great right now but the rest are solid, and he's sustained excellent individual rate stats for a long stretch now, especially individual scoring chances/60, which is a very good sign

Reactions: Dack

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
His on ice numbers cf, CA aren't great right now but the rest are solid, and he's sustained excellent individual rate stats for a long stretch now, especially individual scoring chances/60, which is a very good sign
Yea he is very as advertised, skates like the wind with a wicked shot, not great defensively but his skating makes him work well on the PK as a threat to go the opposite direction. Very smart offensively, as he progresses I hope he picks up on the defensive responsibility, this is his 3rd full season and the most he’s played per game.

Lindholm really has been an under rated part of our team for a while, he’s been covering his deficiencies while letting him thrive whole heartedly while Huberdeau also has 10 points in 9 games since the lines been put together. Hopefully while Rango’s shooting percentage evens out that lines chemistry continues to help them produce.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What has impressed me the most is that Sharangovich has an array of offensive skill elements.

Passing - check (hard and fast, often tape to tape, front and back hand)
Back hand shot - check (lethal)
Wrist/snap shot - check (lethal)
Deflections - check (good)
Slot positioning - check (not great, but good)
Board play - check (not great, but good)
General Hockey IQ - check (very good)

As some have noted his possession stats aren't the greatest, but again at 48.2% CF at even strength (50.7% all strengths), it is not bad. His Takeaway/Giveaway ratio (1:1.43) has suffered a bit compared to previous years when he took more pucks away (1.13:1), but he still is not a giveaway machine.

His plus minus (-11) is down from last year (-3), but is not as bad as year 2 in the league for him (-14).

I typically don't get too excited about plus/minus scores. They are a general marker influenced by too many factors outside of a players control. Bad line, bad D, bad goaltending, etc.

Reactions: deleted user

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
What has impressed me the most is that Sharangovich has an array of offensive skill elements.

Passing - check (hard and fast, often tape to tape, front and back hand)
Back hand shot - check (lethal)
Wrist/snap shot - check (lethal)
Deflections - check (good)
Slot positioning - check (not great, but good)
Board play - check (not great, but good)
General Hockey IQ - check (very good)

As some have noted his possession stats aren't the greatest, but again at 48.2% CF at even strength (50.7% all strengths), it is not bad. His Takeaway/Giveaway ratio (1:1.43) has suffered a bit compared to previous years when he took more pucks away (1.13:1), but he still is not a giveaway machine.

His plus minus (-11) is down from last year (-3), but is not as bad as year 2 in the league for him (-14).

I typically don't get too excited about plus/minus scores. They are a general marker influenced by too many factors outside of a players control. Bad line, bad D, bad goaltending, etc.
In an ideal world, I’d like us to take the training wheels off the Kadri line and give them a lot more neutral usage so that the Huberdeau-Lindholm-Rango line can fly. Huska is currently avoiding giving Kadri and the kids any sort of defensive usage, and spot picking them against weaker opposition. If they can just get down to a more neutral usage, I think our top line would benefit hard from gaining the offensive orientated minutes. Huberdeau and Rango are both pretty poor 5v5 defensively, and that line is getting exposed hard in that regard. Unfortunately, a double rookie line would also get beat up pretty badly so it may just be the lesser of two evils.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I just am not that impressed with him. I think he's primed for a bigger payday because we are able to give him a lot of opportunity, but he doesn't sniff top 6 playing time on a majority of playoff teams imo.

Would be nice to fool some team into trading something big for him next TDL

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I just am not that impressed with him. I think he's primed for a bigger payday because we are able to give him a lot of opportunity, but he doesn't sniff top 6 playing time on a majority of playoff teams imo.

Would be nice to fool some team into trading something big for him next TDL
He was red hot, but his underlying numbers caught up with that hotness, and became sustainable, instead of falling off the face of the earth and becoming a non-factor like everyone's favorite, Zary.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
And for sharangovichs career? 2c?
Probably. On a team with a distinct lack of C’s he acquainted himself quite well. He’ll never be that 1C guy, but I’d be fine letting him develop a bit at C given he’s only 25 and has looked quite decent.

Worst case scenario he gets moved back to wing, but I don’t think that’s the move in the immediate future.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I would not bet against him scoring 40 next year.

We probably re-sign him, but we could trade him for a haul if he's on pace for 40 goals at 75% retained

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would not bet against him scoring 40 next year.

We probably re-sign him, but we could trade him for a haul if he's on pace for 40 goals at 75% retained
I'm not so sure, no pending FA has returned a haul in a couple years

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Long term expectations?
You’re going to probably hear some unrealistic answers here, there’s some rampant negativity running around on our board. Realistically he’s a sure fire top 6 winger, but best case scenario he continues to play a top 6 C role and improving in the position. Ever since he received an established position in the top 6 he has 23 goals and 40 points in 47 games. Recently his points have come in absolute bunches, with just as many multi point games as pointless efforts in the last 8.

His skating and shot have come as advertised, but I didn’t expect him to have as much hockey IQ and talent he has. His super safe floor looks to be a ~25 goal, 50 point guy. But I don’t believe we have seen the best of him yet, could be a consistent 30+ goal, 60+ point guy if he keeps improving and Calgary learns what the goal of a powerplay is.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
He is capable of scoring 30+ and ~60 points if he is more consistent. At the start of the season he usually plays well for a few games and then disappears for 10 games. Its best months are the end of November-December and the end of February-March.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You’re going to probably hear some unrealistic answers here, there’s some rampant negativity running around on our board. Realistically he’s a sure fire top 6 winger, but best case scenario he continues to play a top 6 C role and improving in the position. Ever since he received an established position in the top 6 he has 23 goals and 40 points in 47 games. Recently his points have come in absolute bunches, with just as many multi point games as pointless efforts in the last 8.

His skating and shot have come as advertised, but I didn’t expect him to have as much hockey IQ and talent he has. His super safe floor looks to be a ~25 goal, 50 point guy. But I don’t believe we have seen the best of him yet, could be a consistent 30+ goal, 60+ point guy if he keeps improving and Calgary learns what the goal of a powerplay is.

The thing is he has done similarly in NJ before and then fallen off again. If that's a good or bad sign is up for interpretation.

Personally I think he's taken another step and is looking more consistent than he did in NJ, so I am optimistic he can be a top 6 option long term.

I don't think he's really a PPG, 40 goal player though.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Total:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420-093124.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420-093124.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240420-093223.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420-093223.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240420-093914.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420-093914.jpg